Netgear -- laptop won't connect

I have a WGR614v4 Netgear router (802.11g) and a WG511 wirelesee card. I
have a desktop computer hooked directly into the router and the card in my
laptop.

On two occasions over the past few weeks I have turned the laptop on and it
would not connect to the wireless network. The desktop directly wired into
the router worked fine and could see the Internet. I had to unplug the
router and cable modem and then plug them back in to get it to work. The
laptop actually listed the SSID so it knew the network was there and it
scanned, but it would not connect. Rebooting laptop would not help, only
resetting the router.

I did upgrade the firmware today after it did this a second time. I don't
know if that will help or what. I was wondering if I should also update the
drivers for the wireless card. Any suggestions on what could be happening?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about netgear laptop connect

    What is the IP that is listed in the card's configuration utility? If
    it shows 169.254....., you will have to renew it. Try typing
    "ipconfig / release" or go to the windows wireless network
    connection, click on the SUPPORT tab and then click on REPAIR.
    Hopefully, this will help you. I had problems similar to yours,
    especially after bringing my laptop out of standby mode. By the way,
    my pc card is the Netgear WG511T and the router WAS the WGR614v1. I
    became fed up with rebooting the router and purchased the Belkin
    F5D7230-4 router. My WGR614 is now my router and the Belkin is my
    access point. No more reboots, no more private IP's (169.254...) and
    everything works great. Glad I made the switch.

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 05:01:12 GMT, "S. Byers"
    <stephen@REMOVETHIScompsciguyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

    >I have a WGR614v4 Netgear router (802.11g) and a WG511 wirelesee card. I
    >have a desktop computer hooked directly into the router and the card in my
    >laptop.
    >
    >On two occasions over the past few weeks I have turned the laptop on and it
    >would not connect to the wireless network. The desktop directly wired into
    >the router worked fine and could see the Internet. I had to unplug the
    >router and cable modem and then plug them back in to get it to work. The
    >laptop actually listed the SSID so it knew the network was there and it
    >scanned, but it would not connect. Rebooting laptop would not help, only
    >resetting the router.
    >
    >I did upgrade the firmware today after it did this a second time. I don't
    >know if that will help or what. I was wondering if I should also update the
    >drivers for the wireless card. Any suggestions on what could be happening?
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes, I was getting a private IP (169.254...). I didn't try to renew, but if
    it happens again I will do that. I emailed NetGear and they said to change
    to channel 6 and verify I was using the NetGear connection utility instead
    of Windows. I also upgraded the firmware for the router and the drivers for
    the card. Since it was so sporadic I was thinking maybe some interference
    from a neighbor's phone. Also, when I first connected a wireless router in
    my house about 6 weeks ago I noticed another SSID showed up. After a couple
    of days that SSID disappeared. I assumed they turned off broadcast when
    they saw me. I cannot guarantee that they aren't causing me problems, too.

    Thanks

    "S. Byers" <stephen@REMOVETHIScompsciguyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message news:<pUStc.1739$DG4.1590@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
    > Yes, I was getting a private IP (169.254...). I didn't try to renew, but if
    > it happens again I will do that. I emailed NetGear and they said to change
    > to channel 6 and verify I was using the NetGear connection utility instead
    > of Windows. I also upgraded the firmware for the router and the drivers for
    > the card. Since it was so sporadic I was thinking maybe some interference
    > from a neighbor's phone. Also, when I first connected a wireless router in
    > my house about 6 weeks ago I noticed another SSID showed up. After a couple
    > of days that SSID disappeared. I assumed they turned off broadcast when
    > they saw me. I cannot guarantee that they aren't causing me problems, too.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > What is the IP that is listed in the card's configuration utility? If
    > > it shows 169.254....., you will have to renew it. Try typing
    > > "ipconfig / release" or go to the windows wireless network
    > > connection, click on the SUPPORT tab and then click on REPAIR.
    > > Hopefully, this will help you. I had problems similar to yours,
    > > especially after bringing my laptop out of standby mode. By the way,
    > > my pc card is the Netgear WG511T and the router WAS the WGR614v1. I
    > > became fed up with rebooting the router and purchased the Belkin
    > > F5D7230-4 router. My WGR614 is now my router and the Belkin is my
    > > access point. No more reboots, no more private IP's (169.254...) and
    > > everything works great. Glad I made the switch.
    > >

    > > On Fri, 28 May 2004 05:01:12 GMT, "S. Byers"
    > > <stephen@REMOVETHIScompsciguyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have a WGR614v4 Netgear router (802.11g) and a WG511 wirelesee card. I
    > > >have a desktop computer hooked directly into the router and the card in
    > my
    > > >laptop.
    > > >
    > > >On two occasions over the past few weeks I have turned the laptop on and
    > it
    > > >would not connect to the wireless network. The desktop directly wired
    > into
    > > >the router worked fine and could see the Internet. I had to unplug the
    > > >router and cable modem and then plug them back in to get it to work. The
    > > >laptop actually listed the SSID so it knew the network was there and it
    > > >scanned, but it would not connect. Rebooting laptop would not help, only
    > > >resetting the router.
    > > >
    > > >I did upgrade the firmware today after it did this a second time. I
    > don't
    > > >know if that will help or what. I was wondering if I should also update
    > the
    > > >drivers for the wireless card. Any suggestions on what could be
    > happening?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks

    If you're worried about interferrence from your neighbor, try
    switching your router and wireless card to only broadcast in G mode.
    Perhaps your neighbors have a 802.11b device and this will eliminate
    an interferrence problem. I doubt that's the case though. I have the
    same Netgear products as you and they work flawlessly. Maybe a
    hardware issue? Do you happen to have a 2.4 Ghz phone base next to
    your router? If so, maybe try moving it or leaving it turned off. If
    that's the case and you can't move it, consider downgrading to a 900
    Mhz phone or upgrading to a 5.8 Ghz. Sometimes if people have a
    cordless phone with an identical frequency too close to their wireless
    cards they'll drop their signal but it doesn't usually require a
    router reboot.

    S. Byers wrote:

    > I have a WGR614v4 Netgear router (802.11g) and a WG511 wirelesee card. I
    > have a desktop computer hooked directly into the router and the card in my
    > laptop.
    >
    > On two occasions over the past few weeks I have turned the laptop on and
    > it
    > would not connect to the wireless network. The desktop directly wired
    > into
    > the router worked fine and could see the Internet. I had to unplug the
    > router and cable modem and then plug them back in to get it to work. The
    > laptop actually listed the SSID so it knew the network was there and it
    > scanned, but it would not connect. Rebooting laptop would not help, only
    > resetting the router.
    >
    > I did upgrade the firmware today after it did this a second time. I don't
    > know if that will help or what. I was wondering if I should also update
    > the
    > drivers for the wireless card. Any suggestions on what could be
    > happening?
    >
    > Thanks

    My 511 works fine on my laptop. There are a few things to check. What are
    the indicator lights on the card doing? If they are flashing at the same
    time, the card is associated with the router AP. If not, have you confirmed
    that the AP and wireless card are using the same SSID? Are you using DHCP
    or a static IP on the laptop? What does ipconfig /all show for the card
    (such as the IP, subnet, gateway - I'm assuming you're using Windows)? Can
    you ping the IP address of the card? Can you ping the IP address of the
    gateway?

Laptops Routers Connection Wireless Networking