gowens

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
I'm trying to help my folks who don't want to buy a new PC, and the one they have is: eMachines 533MHz Celeron (may upgrade to 1.1GHz) w/256 max Ram & 15gig HD running 98SE. They primarily use the computer for surfing/email & lightweight apps but have slight potential to use a digital camera in the next year. I need to rebuild the machine either way and would appreciate any thoughts on which of the MS OS's would be best for the HW with ease of use, low maintenance, stability and decent (not painful) performance in mind? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Win98SE will work just fine, I've got a digital camera, never had any problems with SE running anything so far, come to think of it.

<b>*****</b><b>Missster Anderson!,,,Welcome Back!</b><b>*****</b>

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
If you are upgrading and stay with Celeron Win2K is also an option.

XP becomes an option as well if you get a P3 800Mhz and up. (With tweaking obviously)

XP and a Celeron doesn't wax together.

W2K is just nice because it has support built in for most devices already. And stay clear from Millinium.

Problem with 98 is Microsoft doesn't support it anymore. (telephonicly) And so drivers and updates will also disappear.

__
At this rate we'll all be going to hell. At least I'm flying there in bussiness class.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
With 256mb ram, XP may seem a little painful. 2000 will feel smoother, but 2000 does seem a little fiddly with some hardware. Personnaly, If I wanted to install windows on that machine, I'd install 98se.

But then again, If I just wanted to use it just for the things you mentioned, I'd install linux on it. ;-)

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

TomaHawK

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
yah it´s too slow for XP, but win2k will just work fine.
i installed it on lots of older machines and never had any
Hardwareissues.

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink:

TRENDING THREADS