NO ICONS OR TASKBAR AT STARTUP

I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it found
spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit, zonemap range and a
few others (not detected by microsoft anti spyware by the way), after they
were detected it performed its removal function and I restarted. After I
restarted and logged in no icons came up on my desktop and there was no
taskbar at the bottom of the screen to use the start menu and I was unable to
use system restore as there were no restore points created. At present I have
to be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I know I
could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think this problem has to do
with the shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an easy fix
without having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give would be greatly
appreciated, thank you in advance.
--
Ziggy
2 answers Last reply

    Same thing happened to me today, on a friend's pc!

    --
    frankenstein56

    Ziggy

    "frankenstein56" wrote:

    > Same thing happened to me today, on a friend's pc!
    >

    > Ziggy wrote:
    > > *I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it
    > > found
    > > spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit, zonemap
    > > range and a
    > > few others (not detected by microsoft anti spyware by the way), after
    > > they
    > > were detected it performed its removal function and I restarted.
    > > After I
    > > restarted and logged in no icons came up on my desktop and there was
    > > no
    > > taskbar at the bottom of the screen to use the start menu and I was
    > > unable to
    > > use system restore as there were no restore points created. At
    > > present I have
    > > to be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I
    > > know I
    > > could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think this problem
    > > has to do
    > > with the shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an
    > > easy fix
    > > without having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give would be
    > > greatly
    > > appreciated, thank you in advance.
    > > --
    > > Ziggy *
    >

    > --
    > frankenstein56

    Well i found a fix on a similar post thanx to TaurArian, it was a registry
    file that i downloaded and worked great it actually allows you to do a
    restore regardless of if you had a restore point,to find this fix just search
    for no desktop or taskbar in windows xp help and support.

Windows XP