NO ICONS OR TASKBAR AT STARTUP

ziggy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001

I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it found
spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit, zonemap range and a
few others (not detected by microsoft anti spyware by the way), after they
were detected it performed its removal function and I restarted. After I
restarted and logged in no icons came up on my desktop and there was no
taskbar at the bottom of the screen to use the start menu and I was unable to
use system restore as there were no restore points created. At present I have
to be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I know I
could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think this problem has to do
with the shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an easy fix
without having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give would be greatly
appreciated, thank you in advance.
--
Ziggy

Same thing happened to me today, on a friend's pc!

--
frankenstein56

ziggy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001

Ziggy

"frankenstein56" wrote:

> Same thing happened to me today, on a friend's pc!
>

> Ziggy wrote:
> > *I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it
> > found
> > spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit, zonemap
> > range and a
> > few others (not detected by microsoft anti spyware by the way), after
> > they
> > were detected it performed its removal function and I restarted.
> > After I
> > restarted and logged in no icons came up on my desktop and there was
> > no
> > taskbar at the bottom of the screen to use the start menu and I was
> > unable to
> > use system restore as there were no restore points created. At
> > present I have
> > to be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I
> > know I
> > could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think this problem
> > has to do
> > with the shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an
> > easy fix
> > without having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give would be
> > greatly
> > appreciated, thank you in advance.
> > --
> > Ziggy *
>

> --
> frankenstein56

Well i found a fix on a similar post thanx to TaurArian, it was a registry
file that i downloaded and worked great it actually allows you to do a
restore regardless of if you had a restore point,to find this fix just search
for no desktop or taskbar in windows xp help and support.