Sign in with
Your question

How to access Gateway NE56R41U Bios

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 28, 2013 9:01:13 PM

Hello. i am trying to access the bios on my new gateway so i can install windows 7 on the laptop. i went on the gateway website and it tells me to press either f1 or f2 as the laptop is booting up. i tried that but its not working. so i wondering if anyone knows the right way to access it . thank you

P.S.
the laptop came with windows 8 and full or other crap i want to put a clean install on windows 7. i can not stand windows 8.
February 28, 2013 9:05:27 PM

Hello. i am trying to access the bios on my new gateway NE56R41U so i can install windows 7 on the laptop. i went on the gateway website and it tells me to press either f1 or f2 as the laptop is booting up. i tried that but its not working. so i wondering if anyone knows the right way to access it . thank you

P.S.
the laptop came with windows 8 and full or other crap i want to put a clean install on windows 7. i can not stand windows 8.
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 10:05:27 PM

This next topics has been merged by Brett928S2
  • Gateway NE56R41u bios access
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 248 D Laptop
    a b $ Windows 7
    February 28, 2013 10:06:52 PM

Hi :) 

Please do NOT double post again..its against Toms rules...

All the best Brett :) 
    m
    l
    May 28, 2013 9:04:23 PM

dj,

I am having EXACTLY the same problem. I am wondering if you ever figured it out?
    Thanks, Chuck

djblazer247 said:
    Hello. i am trying to access the bios on my new gateway so i can install windows 7 on the laptop. i went on the gateway website and it tells me to press either f1 or f2 as the laptop is booting up. i tried that but its not working. so i wondering if anyone knows the right way to access it . thank you

P.S.

m
    l
    May 30, 2013 2:43:04 PM

I fought with this issue for awhile on a similar NE56R31u. It seems that holding F2 is the trick, not striking it repeatedly as many of us may be used to.
    m
    l
    June 4, 2013 6:47:01 PM

I know I'm a few days late, but this machine uses what I like to call the "Morse Code" Method. Some systems will stall at the initial screen from holding a key down, and some may stall from repeatedly tapping. If a stall happens, the system oddly acts as if the key isn't being pushed at all. I know plenty of Dell, Gateway, and Acer models that have this issue. And the issue is more prominent with Windows 8.

What I do is alternate tapping and holding as if I'm doing Morse Code 'SOS' on the key. Gateway uses the F2 key (don't hold down the fn key). as soon as you turn the system on, tap on the F2 key in the pattern ...---...---...---...--- until the BIOS screen appears. I've seen some machines that stall and require the 'Morse Code' method take up to 2 minutes for the BIOS screen to appear, but so far it's been VERY reliable. Even with stubborn systems running Windows 8. If it works, post it and let everyone else know about the 'Morse Code' method.
    m
    l
    June 7, 2013 2:55:00 PM

djblazer247 said:
    Hello. i am trying to access the bios on my new gateway NE56R41U so i can install windows 7 on the laptop. i went on the gateway website and it tells me to press either f1 or f2 as the laptop is booting up. i tried that but its not working. so i wondering if anyone knows the right way to access it . thank you

P.S.

You also have to hold down the fn button as you press f1 or f2. It can be changed inside of the bios to automatically work as a function key or special keys. Must set f12 to enabled or adjust boot order for cd/dvd-rom first. If you could create a recovery cd or iso first, I would appreciate it as I have one that windows was screwed up on and am unable to access the recovery partition.
    m
    l
    January 2, 2014 9:57:07 AM

Just saw this thread. I got into mine using a Hiram's boot disc. I tried everything else, it was the only thing that worked.
    m
    l
    March 2, 2014 8:21:57 PM

djblazer247 said:

P.S.

m
    l
    March 2, 2014 8:34:00 PM

When you bootup your gateway notebook, tap on the "F2" key. Once in Setup, go over to "Boot", once you get there, go down to "Boot Mode", select "Legacy BIOS", use your arrow key & go to "Exit", select "Save Changes", then on your keyboard hit the Enter Key to save the settings & then have your windows 7 disc in the optical drive & install 7. Now, there is a real problem with these notebooks. I had to try 2 different windows 7 home premium disc's in order to get windows installed 100%. You can thank Microsoft Engineers & the design Engineers at Acer for their creation, not to mention all the ticked off people who are having problems installing a windows operating system on these notebook. When you're done, call Gateway & tell them how you feel. Also, good luck.... Oh as for 8, I installed "Classic Shell" app [google it] which gives you a desktop like 7 & gives you the start button like we're all use to.
    m
    l
    !