NO ICONS OR TASKBAR

August 21, 2005 3:19:01 AM

I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it found
spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit, zonemap range and a
few others (not detected by microsoft anti spyware by the way), after they
were detected it performed its removal function and i restarted. After I
restarted and logged in no icons came up on my desktop and there was no
taskbar at the bottom of the screen to use the start menu and I was unable to
use system restore as there were no restore points created. At present I have
to be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I know I
could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think it has to do with the
shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an easy fix without
having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give would be greatly
appreciated, thank you in advance.
--
Ziggy

More about : icons taskbar

August 21, 2005 1:18:52 PM

In news:FF4F146E-5EE2-4A45-8C02-DF99D7523A5A@microsoft.com,
Ziggy <someone@someone.com> had this to say:

> I did a scan with spybot seacrh and destroy and needless to say it
> found spyware and adware in particular it found a dso exploit,
> zonemap range and a few others (not detected by microsoft anti
> spyware by the way), after they were detected it performed its
> removal function and i restarted. After I restarted and logged in no
> icons came up on my desktop and there was no taskbar at the bottom of
> the screen to use the start menu and I was unable to use system
> restore as there were no restore points created. At present I have to
> be using the task manager to load any programs I wish to use. I know
> I could just reinstall the OS (WIN XP SP 2) but I think it has to do
> with the shell not being loaded or something so I would just like an
> easy fix without having to reinstall the OS. Any help you can give
> would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Using the task manager (file > new task) type in "explorer.exe" without the
quotes. Does that bring it up? If it does, and this may actually work for
you, just reboot and see if it works like normal again.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
!