Hi, I've been typing my dissertation like mad today and have had 2 disasters
in the matter of an hour and a half. 1) I accidently wrote an old version of
my paper over a newer one (can I recover the old one)? and 2) the computer
rebooted itself and I lost the new data. The computers are at the university
so I don't know if I can go into settings and turn everything back. Any other
ideas?? Please E-mail me with any ides! BOOTH704@hotmail.com

"BOOTH704" <BOOTH704@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've been typing my dissertation like mad today and have had 2
> disasters
> in the matter of an hour and a half. 1) I accidently wrote an old version
> of
> my paper over a newer one (can I recover the old one)? and 2) the computer
> rebooted itself and I lost the new data. The computers are at the
> university
> so I don't know if I can go into settings and turn everything back. Any
> other
> ideas?? Please E-mail me with any ides! BOOTH704@hotmail.com

Turn everything back? Do you have a time machine? If you didn't save it,
it's gone for good.

If you overwrite and save a file, the previous contents are gone.. if the
computer reboots while a document is still work in progress, unless you gave
it a name when you first opened Word, it will default to the name Document
1.. is Word set to auto save every xx minutes?..

There is no restore function that can bring your old 'new' file back, or the
file in progress at the time of the reboot..

Do you not have the 'new' original file backed up on diskette?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User