xp wont load, recovery console password???

My xp wont load at all just gets to the blue screen, win xp logo fades in
then it wont load after that, even in safe mode or last good settings.

Apparently i need to run recovery console so i did that from the xp cd and
it asks which to logon to and there is only 1:C:/windows so i select that and
it asks for the administrator password!!! I have had this laptop from a clean
install and never selected a administrator password? but anyway i have tried
even password ive ever used plus the obvious "password" "admin" and just
pressing enter none work.

I read in the knowledge base that preinstalled operating systems can have a
fault where in doesnt read the password properly BUT I DONT HAVE A FLOPPY
DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP to use the 'fixed' setup disks

I am at a complete catch22 and i have REALLY REALLY important data in that
hard drive i cannot lose - what do i do?

Does anyone know why it wont start in the first place?

Hope this helps...

Repairing and Reinstalling Windows

When all attempts to repair your system fail, you may be able to repair your
Windows XP installation using the Windows Setup program. As a last resort,
you can reinstall Windows over an existing installation and hope that the new
installation will recover enough of your old settings to allow you to
retrieve your data files.

The repair option is quick and painless and typically does not adversely
affect user settings. To exercise this option, start from the Windows CD as
if you were going to do a clean install. It’s easy to become confused during
this process, because the word repair appears in two different places when
you start your computer using the Windows CD. At the Welcome To Setup screen,
do not choose the option to repair your installation using the Recovery
Console. Instead, press Enter, which starts the Windows Setup program. After
you accept the license agreement, Windows searches your system for existing
Windows installations. When you reach the screen that lists your current
Windows installation, select it from the list and press R to start the repair
process. The remainder of this procedure requires the same steps as if you
were performing a clean installation; when Setup finishes, your system files
should be refreshed and your existing data and settings should be accessible
again.

In cases of severe disk damage or registry corruption, a repair installation
will not be effective; the only alternative is to reformat the disk and
install a clean copy of Windows.

Cut & pasted from Windows XP Inside Out Series Microsoft Press

j;-)

"bridgstfer" wrote:

> My xp wont load at all just gets to the blue screen, win xp logo fades in
> then it wont load after that, even in safe mode or last good settings.
>
> Apparently i need to run recovery console so i did that from the xp cd and
> it asks which to logon to and there is only 1:C:/windows so i select that and
> it asks for the administrator password!!! I have had this laptop from a clean
> install and never selected a administrator password? but anyway i have tried
> even password ive ever used plus the obvious "password" "admin" and just
> pressing enter none work.
>
> I read in the knowledge base that preinstalled operating systems can have a
> fault where in doesnt read the password properly BUT I DONT HAVE A FLOPPY
> DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP to use the 'fixed' setup disks
>
> I am at a complete catch22 and i have REALLY REALLY important data in that
> hard drive i cannot lose - what do i do?
>
> Does anyone know why it wont start in the first place?

What does happen when you say 'it won't load? Does it hang, or stop
responding? Or does it get to a point and reboot automatically?

Did you try starting in Safe Mode?

"bridgstfer" <bridgstfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My xp wont load at all just gets to the blue screen, win xp logo fades in
> then it wont load after that, even in safe mode or last good settings.
>
> Apparently i need to run recovery console so i did that from the xp cd and
> it asks which to logon to and there is only 1:C:/windows so i select that
> and
> it asks for the administrator password!!! I have had this laptop from a
> clean
> install and never selected a administrator password? but anyway i have
> tried
> even password ive ever used plus the obvious "password" "admin" and just
> pressing enter none work.
>
> I read in the knowledge base that preinstalled operating systems can have
> fault where in doesnt read the password properly BUT I DONT HAVE A FLOPPY
> DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP to use the 'fixed' setup disks
>
> I am at a complete catch22 and i have REALLY REALLY important data in that
> hard drive i cannot lose - what do i do?
>
> Does anyone know why it wont start in the first place?

OK thank god i have make some progress, i found a website talking about a ug
in the 200 recovery console. I booted it up with the win 2000 cd and the
recovery console didnt ask for a password, but now i dont know how to use it
to fix my pc, ran chkdsk and all seems fine. here is the problem:

system turns on, bios does post test, xp logo appears on black screen with
progess scroll bar going at the bottom, then screen goes blank for quite a
while, then the mouse appears, the screen turns blue and the small xp logo
fades in, there is stops, th HD carries on going for quite a while but i have
left it at this stage for quite a while and nothing happens and the hd
eventually stops.

So how can i fix this using recovery console?

Thank in advance

"lvee" wrote:

> What does happen when you say 'it won't load? Does it hang, or stop
> responding? Or does it get to a point and reboot automatically?
>
> Did you try starting in Safe Mode?
>
> "bridgstfer" <bridgstfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My xp wont load at all just gets to the blue screen, win xp logo fades in
> > then it wont load after that, even in safe mode or last good settings.
> >
> > Apparently i need to run recovery console so i did that from the xp cd and
> > it asks which to logon to and there is only 1:C:/windows so i select that
> > and
> > it asks for the administrator password!!! I have had this laptop from a
> > clean
> > install and never selected a administrator password? but anyway i have
> > tried
> > even password ive ever used plus the obvious "password" "admin" and just
> > pressing enter none work.
> >
> > I read in the knowledge base that preinstalled operating systems can have
> > fault where in doesnt read the password properly BUT I DONT HAVE A FLOPPY
> > DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP to use the 'fixed' setup disks
> >
> > I am at a complete catch22 and i have REALLY REALLY important data in that
> > hard drive i cannot lose - what do i do?
> >
> > Does anyone know why it wont start in the first place?

Press the Tab key or press the Enter key at the password prompt. And pls advise if this XP is on Service Pack 2.
When the pc is booting up (after the BIOS has done its POST test and
before Windows starts loading),
Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !

You will actually see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as an option .
Select that and give it a try. This option is available if you have XP service pack 2.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

bridgstfer wrote:
> My xp wont load at all just gets to the blue screen, win xp logo
> fades in then it wont load after that, even in safe mode or last good
> settings.
>
> Apparently i need to run recovery console so i did that from the xp
> cd and it asks which to logon to and there is only 1:C:/windows so i
> select that and it asks for the administrator password!!! I have had
> this laptop from a clean install and never selected a administrator
> password? but anyway i have tried even password ive ever used plus
> the obvious "password" "admin" and just pressing enter none work.
>
> I read in the knowledge base that preinstalled operating systems can
> have a fault where in doesnt read the password properly BUT I DONT
> HAVE A FLOPPY DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP to use the 'fixed' setup disks
>
> I am at a complete catch22 and i have REALLY REALLY important data in
> that hard drive i cannot lose - what do i do?
>
> Does anyone know why it wont start in the first place?

OK now ive got bigger problems - i did the repair install and all was going
well til it got to 9 minutes from completion when it said it was saving
settings - it just hung like that for 30mins til i turned it off. Now
whenever it boots up it tries to restart installation and i get error message:

Rundll

Error loading c:\windows\system32\sti_ci.dll
Error performing inpage code operation

shortly after it reboots an does the same again - what can i do?