Freezing probs

G

I have a Radeon VE running on WinME (yea, i know) and everytime a play a game it freezes at random times. I downloaded the latest drivers and have Directx 8.1 running. The games I play are Diablo 2 and Ghost Recon. I dont understand why I'm freezing, I'm getting 60+ fps while playing D2. Anyone know what the problem is and have any solutions?

G

I don't really have a clue... u've tried installing new drivers. Is it only on D2 or not that game specific? It is is only D2 then look for a fix online.

It might help more knowledgable ppl if u told us what the rest of the system is.

DX 8.1 is beta isn't it... maybe thats the cause?

U could always try defragging ur hard disk, and making sure that u don't have too many programs running in the background.... have a look and see what programs are loading as windows starts... for instance its no good if u have an anti virus software that scans ur hard disk ever so often. TO do this hae a look at system information and then find the system configuration utility and click on the startup tab... there is a list of all programs that load as windows start, u could always try stoping non essential ones.

Another issues may be ur RAM and virual memory settings, what are these atm?

Si

G

It occurs when I play Diablo 2 and Ghost Recon, as those are the only games I play right now. It also ocassionaly happens when I play DVD movies on my computer. I've already disabled most of everything starting up when I start my computer. I really have no idea what it is. I've ran diagnostics tests so it's not my RAM. From what I've heard Radeon VE is a terrible gaming card, so that's probably the problem =( I just want to know if there's a fix for it. I'm planning on getting a GeForce3 Ti200 sometime in the next month or two, don't really have any cash right now.

Oh yea, a high pitched beep also comes out of my speakers when I freeze. Could my sound card have anything to do with this?

Computer Specs:
SOYO K7v Dragon mb
1.4ghz Athlon
40gb IBM 7200rpm
256mb DDR
Radeon VE
Soundblaster Live! Value
Pioneer DVD
Lite-On CD-RW

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
How long does it normally take to freeze? Is it immediate or does it take a while? Do you run your system for a while before you play the games? What I'm getting at is heat. Your sound card could be overheating. Once that sucker overheats its all over.
Another possibility is bios settings. Have you worked with the BIOS settings at all? Also try another game, like Quake3 and see if it freezes in there also.

Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention.

G

I get on the computer, go through a few links and browse the web for about 15-30 minutes. Than I start playing my games, and about 5 minutes into the game it'll freeze. I'm pretty sure it's not a heat problem. I open my case and setup a fan to see if it was a heat problem. My computer still froze. I think the temps were at 40C for the cpu and 26 for the case. I've tried messing around with the IRQ settings in my bio's, but that can't be the problem. I checked my device manager and took a look at the settings and saw that my sound card and video card had their own number. Know what I can do and switch around in my BIOS? Or, is it just that my Radeon sucks? It just doesn't make much sense if I'm running at 60+ fps for Diablo 2.

G

I'm having the same problems. I'll play a game for a little while, then it will freeze. Sometimes it happens real quick, other times it takes a while. I can play Diablo 2 for hours without it freezing, then suddenly, it freezes. I also get the high pitched noise. I've talked to some people about this, and they said that the noise is probably just feedback. I'm inclined to agree because it's not always there. The games that I've had this happen with while playing is Diablo 2, Half-Life, Deus Ex, Return to Castle Wolfenstein Test 2, Wizardry 8 Demo, and Everquest. At least those are the games that I can think of off the top of my head that it happens in. With the Wizardry 8 Demo and Return to Castle Wolfenstein Test 2 it happens right away, I can't even get into a game in Wolfenstien, it will freeze in the menu. With Everquest it only happens if I go full screen. I've tried messing with some of the CMOS settings and that did squat. I changed the refresh rate, still nothing. My friend said it may be heat or power, so I opened the case and blew a fan inside, still froze. I unpluged my CD, DVD, and CD-RW drives (yeah, three seperate drives) to try to free up some more power and see if that was it, still froze. I made sure all my drivers are up to date and updated the bios on the motherboard. At this point I'm starting to think maybe there is a problem with the CPU or motherboard. But I figured I'm come here looking for help before I went and shelled out more cash money. My system specs are: CPU:AMD Athlon 800mhz Video:Radeon 64MB DDR Vivo RAM:256 OS:Win ME Motherboard:Soyo K7-AIA Sound:Soundblaster Live MP3+ and I don't know about the power supply. I also thought it may have something to do with Open GL, because most of those games use it, but I have Diablo 2 useing D3D.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Arioch699 on 11/15/01 07:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm playing Diablo2 Expansion: Lord of Destruction.
I found that the game need a very stable memory.
My Corsair ram (pc133 cl2), work at 150mhz (222 5/7) for months without error, but to play this game, I must set back to slower timing, or run at 133mhz.
Hope this help.