Problem with reinstalltion of windows

micky

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

i had a problem with windows XP home a while back, and i was trying to
reinstall windows. I am at the point were the screen will have "installing
windows 34 minutes remaining" displayed. however it will never go any father
than that. i get error messages reaading.

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\$BitMap. The data
has been lost. This error may cause failure. Please try to save the file
elsewhere.

other files that i get this error message with include:
C:\$BitMap
C:\$Mft
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt

i have tried to start windows normally and it will go to the windows loading
screen, where the blue progress bar is moving under the XP Home logo. Any
help or ideas would be much appreciated. I am using a different computer to
write this, because i cannot even bring up the sign on screen on my home pc.
Thanks for any help, Mike

I have found the '34 minute' hang is almost always caused by a faulty device, and especially a Network card without a good driver. I
would remove all unnecessary hardware devices, and try setup. You can add them in later, if setup will finish.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Micky" <Micky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D1E0538-509E-4B4E-9E1E-55B0ECAD3491@microsoft.com...
>i had a problem with windows XP home a while back, and i was trying to
> reinstall windows. I am at the point were the screen will have "installing
> windows 34 minutes remaining" displayed. however it will never go any father
> than that. i get error messages reaading.
>
> Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\$BitMap. The data
> has been lost. This error may cause failure. Please try to save the file
> elsewhere.
>
> other files that i get this error message with include:
> C:\$BitMap
> C:\$Mft
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt
>
> i have tried to start windows normally and it will go to the windows loading
> screen, where the blue progress bar is moving under the XP Home logo. Any
> help or ideas would be much appreciated. I am using a different computer to
> write this, because i cannot even bring up the sign on screen on my home pc.
> Thanks for any help, Mike

micky

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

I also tried doing a chkdsk /r in the windows repair mode, and it will get to
50% and then lock up. It will not go any farther. I dont know if this changes
the situation at all. Also, could it be a bad hDD. What would i do to test
something like that? thanks for the help, Mike

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> I have found the '34 minute' hang is almost always caused by a faulty device, and especially a Network card without a good driver. I
> would remove all unnecessary hardware devices, and try setup. You can add them in later, if setup will finish.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Micky" <Micky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D1E0538-509E-4B4E-9E1E-55B0ECAD3491@microsoft.com...
> >i had a problem with windows XP home a while back, and i was trying to
> > reinstall windows. I am at the point were the screen will have "installing
> > windows 34 minutes remaining" displayed. however it will never go any father
> > than that. i get error messages reaading.
> >
> > Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\$BitMap. The data
> > has been lost. This error may cause failure. Please try to save the file
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > other files that i get this error message with include:
> > C:\$BitMap
> > C:\$Mft
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt
> >
> > i have tried to start windows normally and it will go to the windows loading
> > screen, where the blue progress bar is moving under the XP Home logo. Any
> > help or ideas would be much appreciated. I am using a different computer to
> > write this, because i cannot even bring up the sign on screen on my home pc.
> > Thanks for any help, Mike

I would say that the chkdsk failure points to a bad hard drive, for sure.

--
Mark L. Ferguson