Lockups, lockups, lockups...please help me!

G

Hello All,
I'm out of ideas. My computer is freezing up on games and 3D Mark2001. I have a Visiontek GF3. I have tried a fresh install of Win98se, latest miniport and busmater drivers for the motherboard, Det. drivers ver.1241, 1410, 2181, 2185... DirectX ver. 8.0, 8.0a, 8.1.
I did notice that 3D Mark2001 will run longer before locking up on the older versions of Detonater drivers. Motor City Online locks up in the exact same place every time.
Other than trying different drivers I don't know what to do. How do I check to see if I have an IRQ conflict....or is that stupid?
Any help would be GREAT!
Thanks

System:
Epox 8K7A
1.33 T-Bird@1540mhz(140x11)
S.B. Live
IBM 60 gig

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First try Detonator version 6.31, because it's free! That's the most stable version I've seen. Now, the most likely culprit is the power supply, since 3D apps use more power on the 3.3v line. What size/brand power supply do you have?

Back to you Tom...

G

My power supply is from STEP ThermoDynamics Inc. It's a STEP Platinum Series 475Watt. It's suppose to be very good. I will try Detonator 6.31...anything else???

System:
Epox 8K7A
S.B. Live
IBM 60 gig

G

The temp never goes above 50. Can you tell me how to check my voltages under load and check for configuration problems? Sorry if those are elementary things but I'm most definatly still learning.
Thanks

System:
Epox 8K7A
S.B. Live
IBM 60 gig

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu should have monitoring software with your motherboard that shows temps and voltages. If you can run a 3d demo in a window, you can have two windows open, the voltage monitor and the 3D application window.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?