XP repair install freezes

August 21, 2005 9:05:02 PM

After problems with xp not booting i decided to do a repair install on the
system to sort it out.

First time i did this it got to 9 minutes remaining and froze with no
apparent HD activity. I switched it off after alot of waiting booted it up,
it resumed setup and started to install again but came up with error message

Rundll

Error loading c:\windows\system32\sti_ci.dll
Error performing inpage code operation

then freezes soon after. Tried repair install again and it just gets to
like 16minutes or even only 27minutes gives the error and rebooted.

I have really important data on the drive so im desperate. Anyone
understand the problem? Also could i install windows 2000 aswel and maybe
copy my data off so i could do a fresh install?

More about : repair install freezes

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:14:12 PM

Booting to setup CD will allow installation to a new folder (advanced setup, look for the checkbox for choosing partition)

You can 'take ownership' of the old data.
HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
--
Mark L. Ferguson
"bridgstfer" <bridgstfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ABB197B-06AF-4AB1-9FF6-377509013093@microsoft.com...
> After problems with xp not booting i decided to do a repair install on the
> system to sort it out.
>
> First time i did this it got to 9 minutes remaining and froze with no
> apparent HD activity. I switched it off after alot of waiting booted it up,
> it resumed setup and started to install again but came up with error message
>
> Rundll
>
> Error loading c:\windows\system32\sti_ci.dll
> Error performing inpage code operation
>
> then freezes soon after. Tried repair install again and it just gets to
> like 16minutes or even only 27minutes gives the error and rebooted.
>
> I have really important data on the drive so im desperate. Anyone
> understand the problem? Also could i install windows 2000 aswel and maybe
> copy my data off so i could do a fresh install?

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:31:40 PM

"bridgstfer" <bridgstfer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After problems with xp not booting i decided to do a repair install on the
>system to sort it out.
>
>First time i did this it got to 9 minutes remaining and froze with no
>apparent HD activity. I switched it off after alot of waiting booted it up,
>it resumed setup and started to install again but came up with error message
>
>Rundll
>
>Error loading c:\windows\system32\sti_ci.dll
>Error performing inpage code operation
>
>then freezes soon after. Tried repair install again and it just gets to
>like 16minutes or even only 27minutes gives the error and rebooted.
>
>I have really important data on the drive so im desperate. Anyone
>understand the problem? Also could i install windows 2000 aswel and maybe
>copy my data off so i could do a fresh install?

STI_CI.DLL is a file associated with a webcam.

Make certain that the webcam is totally disconnected from the computer
and try the Repair Install again.

If it still persists in trying to load the file boot the machine to
the Recovery Console and locate the sti_ci.dll file and rename or
delete it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--