trouble connecting Win XP to Dell 1184 router

Hi,

I'm new to wireless networking, and would really appreciate a little
assistance. My landlord lets me share his wireless network, provided
by Verizon DSL to a Dell Truemobile 1184 router. Using my laptop (Win
ME and a Linksys wireless card) I have no trouble seeing and
connecting to the wireless network.

However, on my new system (Gateway Media Center 610XL, Win XP Media
Edition) I cannot see the home network at all. However, I can see the
neighbor's network, so I know that the factory-installed wireless card
is working. In addition, my landlord's Win XP Home laptop has the
same problem, it doesn't see the home network, but can see the
neighbor's. However, his other laptop with Win XP Pro does see and
connect to the network.

I've tried manually adding the SSID for the home network in the
network connections, with no success. I know that the home network is
working, since I can use it with my Win ME laptop, while the XP
computer doesn't see the network.

I also installed netstumbler on the new system to see if it could
'see' the network, and with the same results - it sees the neighbor's
network, but not the home network.

Any help that you could provide about how to move forward would be
great. Thanks very much in advance,

Jeff

BigJim

you might try changing the channel. your neighbor may be stepping on his
network
"Nuaka-Meba" <jrbindc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to wireless networking, and would really appreciate a little
> assistance. My landlord lets me share his wireless network, provided
> by Verizon DSL to a Dell Truemobile 1184 router. Using my laptop (Win
> ME and a Linksys wireless card) I have no trouble seeing and
> connecting to the wireless network.
>
> However, on my new system (Gateway Media Center 610XL, Win XP Media
> Edition) I cannot see the home network at all. However, I can see the
> neighbor's network, so I know that the factory-installed wireless card
> is working. In addition, my landlord's Win XP Home laptop has the
> same problem, it doesn't see the home network, but can see the
> neighbor's. However, his other laptop with Win XP Pro does see and
> connect to the network.
>
> I've tried manually adding the SSID for the home network in the
> network connections, with no success. I know that the home network is
> working, since I can use it with my Win ME laptop, while the XP
> computer doesn't see the network.
>
> I also installed netstumbler on the new system to see if it could
> 'see' the network, and with the same results - it sees the neighbor's
> network, but not the home network.
>
> Any help that you could provide about how to move forward would be
> great. Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Jeff

It sounds like WEP encryption is enabled on the router and on your laptop,
but not on your Media Center system or your landlord's laptop.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.