Solved

Windows Vista 32 bit Ultimate to OEM Windows 7 64 bit pro

I am having some major issues installing windows 7 64 bit Professional OEM

Hello everyone, I browsed through the forum and have had no success in finding an answer to the issue that I am currently experiencing.

I have a custom built computer that I am updating to more modern hardware and OS.

I have currently 1 hard drive with Vista 32 bit ult. I also have 1 blank hd that I would like to put windows 7 64 bit on.

I have configured the bios to boot from DVD-rom and disconnected the old HD with Vista on it.

But it only reads the DVD about 1 out of 20 times. On the 3 times that I have gotten it to the start up process, it has told me that it is unable to use the hard drive based on the fact that it is not a properly formatted hard drive.

I find this to be odd. I have formated it in Vista for NTFS the same way 3 times, in the win 7 installation 3 times it has come up with three different types of format issues. Suggestions please...

Your input would greatly help.

-waffles
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows vista ultimate windows
  1. Current hardware:

CPU: intel core2 duo @ 2.66 usually overclocked @ 3.44
    RAM: Patriot Viper DDR2 pc8500 4 x 2gb sticks
    HHD: 2 Hitatchi 7200 RPM 320gb (1 blank)
    Graphics Card: Asus Dark Knight engts 250
    MOBO: gigabyte GA-ep45-ud3p
    Power supply: Antec 500 true watt

Can't really think anything else is that important

will post more if more data is requested...

Thanks in advance
  2. Best answer
    The OEM version looks for a new unformatted drive. Reconect the Vista drive for the time being and delete the partition, then start again with the single bare drive.
  3. Thanks, I now am having another problem... I decided to buy two new hard drives and make it a raid system.... maybe i should give up on this it seems to be causing me more head ache than its worth atm!

I will try to do this with the new HD's and report back thanks for your suggestion.
  4. If your using a burned Windows disk toss it in the trash and buy a real one.
  5. @daship

please read the title of the post. you can see that I am working with an OEM version of windows 7 64
  6. Got it working thanks for your help. any suggestions on how to set up a raid for this system?
  7. Best answer selected by eatm0rewaffles.
  8. thanks for the link, I have given up on setting up a RAID at this moment.... I don't know how to get my keyboard to register my key strokes in DOS and have given up after hours of trying. For now i am using my HHD's normally. IF anyone has experience setting up a Gigabyte mobo for a RAID configuration, please help.

Its asking me to press control + g, which i do, to enter setup and it is not registering...
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows Vista