monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Anyone know how to enable the features of an asus deluxe card (namely v8200) without using the drivers supplied by Asus. I want to try a few of the detonator 22.xx and still be able to use the 3d glasses but the most recent Asus can supply is 21.81 which came with my card, .
An alternative would be swapping between two different sets of drivers. Is this possible or do we need to keep on changing them?

eden

Champion
First which 8200 do you have? I don't find it normal having those drivers if it is a GF3. But maybe you have GF3 Ti200 or Ti500.
Anyway go to Nvidia's site and in SEARCH, type in Stereo.
There will be a link to a site which has the drivers for Stereo mode support for Asus 3d Glasses, and USE Detonator XP drivers. This should be what you want.
BTW did you try the glasses? How are they?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Thanks mate i'll have a look there in a minute.
I got a ti200.
The glasses are actually pretty good. Good enough for me to stick to drivers that support them. Unless you got a really big head, you will need to fix them on. I have to use a beenie hat. My girlfriend finds it quite funny, so they seem to keep everyone amused.
I bought this card for the tv-out and video in so the glasses were a bonus.
They only seem to work at 800x600. Basically, the 3D effect gives you about 4 layers on screen so to speak. The foremost layer looks like it is between your head and the screen. Loads better than those green and red things they used to hand out at the movies.
They do give me a headache after 30 mins or so. but as this card was actually cheaper than Elsa's ti200 offering i would definately recommend. Especially if you need TV in/out. 3D mark shows off the effect quite well, as does the game sacrifice which came bundled along with a couple others. And video editing stuff and also a CCTV type utility

eden

Champion
Exact card I am getting soon, and just so you know, Asus tweaked the Ti200 drivers to be enhanced, better than Nvidia's current Det XP!!! You get more performance, like a GF3 for the same price. The feature is by default enabled, in the Advanced Display settings. It is called: 3d Turbo Mode.
Do you feel the reality in the glasses? And do you feel any eye pain, fatigue or they work well? Also what refresh rate are you putting to play? They say 120hz is needed, but I dunno if my Monitor can even go this much, but tell me anyway.
Oh yeah I have Sacrifice and it rocks so much with a GF3 at my uncle's house. Awesome frame rates.
Tell me what you will do about the drivers though, but remember the card is currently using a boost of 10% or more than any Ti200, even Nvidia's.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
didnt know that about the extra 10%.. thanks for that.
I noticed the 3d turbo mode setting + thought it was another of those things that just slows it down when disabled.
Saying that.. I'm running a 1.33 AHYJA on an epox 8KHA+ at 150x10 quite happily and at 1024x768x32 I get 3Dmark2001 score of around 7150 which im happy with. Q3 gets to about 155 fps. I tried to oc the card but it doesnt like it at all. And it's only at around 40 degrees C.
I'm gonna mess around with the drivers tomorrow so will keep you posted on those.
The glasses dont make it feel real due to the fact that i can see only about 4 different depths. But it does look cool, and futurisic, you know - sort of thing you used to read about in comics only a few years ago.
I've downloaded the nvidia stereo drivers that you pointed me to (thanks again) and having read the manual they seem much better than the ones suppled. with the nvidia ones you can have a laser sight apparently. will post again tomorrow once i've tried them.

FatBurger

Illustrious
First we had BunnyStroker, now we have monkeyspank :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
sorry, got carried away. In answer to your q's...
they dont give me eye pain really. No more than staring at a screen for 12 hours a day. I set the refresh rate to 120 as recommended. There is a tab next to the refresh settings called 'disable monitor check' so you may be able to get away with it. Ill try lower rates tomorrow too so i can let you know if it really matters that much.
I haven't tweaked the 3D settings yet, i know that you can adjust depth of field and stuff like that. I do get a bit of a headache but only very slight. I'm sure they are fine if you set them up properly and dont press your face up against the monitor!
Overall though - i'm now really happy that my local ran out of the elsa cards when i turned up last week.
The best bit about the 3d is the way that some objects really do look like they are floating out of the screen.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hate to say it, but I completely missed that one...

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

I also have that card and would like to be able to use detonator drivers that will allow me to use the 3d glasses. I went to the nvidia site and found the stereo drivers you are talking about. However, it seems that they are only for windows 98 or ME. I plan on using win XP professional. I don't have my rig up and running yet so I don't know if they will work with XP. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

"If It Ain't Broke....Tweak It!!!"

eden

Champion
That would be damn nice by you to test some Refresh rates below the average! And it does sound exciting enough now! I can't wait. BTW do you use the OSD in games to tweak the quality? You knew that right? You don't need to get back to Desktop to tweak realism and depth. Oh and how are the games? Smooth like hell? Pretty?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I tried knocking the refresh rate down but the lowest setting is 100. What you have to do is disable the monitor check so it tries to run at whatever you set it to, and not what the monitor can handle. I may be totally wrong about this but it works for me. I couldnt notice any difference between that and the 120 i run it at whilst using the glasses.
I must say that when i'm doing some proper gaming i dont use them because they only seem to work at 800x600. Can your monitor handle 100 or 120 Mhz at 800x600? If so you should be fine.

Generally speaking, the games i play all look really good with this card. Stands to reason i suppose. For the money i paid for this card (£200) I am extremely happy. In the UK things like this are generally more expensive and a decent GF2 pro or ultra costs around £240.
I can put the detail level to full-on and every game i play still runs as smooth as a baby's butt at 1280x1024 and over.
i play games like Q3, max payne, black and white, etc.

I was waiting for my card for about a month before i got it. Well worth the wait. It just made it more exciting i guess (how sad am i?)
It doesnt seem to overclock at all but do you really notice the difference between 120 and 140 fps? Not unless your monitor can refresh faster than that anyway. anything over 80 fps looks fine to me.

eden

Champion
Great really great, yeah I am also waiting for it! Next month should be the apogee of a new generation video card for me!
I've researched the box of my monitor, and found it does go to 120hz. However it is interesting that it detects the Monitor's max handle, but what happens if he monitor is not specified, or is only recognized as a "Plug and Play" monitor?

Also there has to be a better resolution, I know it isn't only 800*600 limited. Look around, experiment or read the instructions about them! Also you're using the Nvidia supplied drivers now, right? If not, just look at Asus' site for info, it is no doubt you can play in 1024*768 with glasses on.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I'm still on the asus drivers. I'll have to try out the ones from nvidia.
Havent had a lot of time to experiment this weekend. What time i have had i have spent enjoying the video card playing games, and not rebooting, installing, rebooting etc etc. big numbers are nice but i try to keep it in perspetive.
It;s nice to know that the 3d will work over 800x600. I hope the nvidia drivers sort that one out. If your card turns up soon, and you suss it out before me, please let me know.
hope you enjoy your new card mate. I know you will....