Please help!

August 21, 2005 10:28:01 PM

Hi,
This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

More about : question

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:32:36 PM

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:

Create a new user ID, and move the old settings into it.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D6256F3-91A3-41F0-8BBB-037CD09A155D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
> I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
> etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
> working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
> screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
> programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
> desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
> programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
> know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:26:55 PM

Presuming that you exited Windows properly before unplugging the cables, the
mere act of unplugging, moving and plugging in has no effect on a computer.
Something else is causing your problems.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my
computer.
> I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the
cables,
> etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
> working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as
> screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
> programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on
the
> desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
> programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does
anybody
> know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

August 28, 2005 9:05:05 PM

Okay, I created a new user profile and followed all of the instructions to
copy the data. However, things still are not working. My computer will NOT
save any settings at all, and some programs I have to install every time I
turn on the computer, no matter what user I am under. Does anybody know what
is wrong??? Please help.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
>
> Create a new user ID, and move the old settings into it.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D6256F3-91A3-41F0-8BBB-037CD09A155D@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
> > I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
> > etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
> > working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
> > screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
> > programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
> > desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
> > programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
> > know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:25:33 PM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!