Please help!

Hi,
This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
know what could be going on? Please, please help!!
4 answers Last reply
More about please help

    811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:

    Create a new user ID, and move the old settings into it.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D6256F3-91A3-41F0-8BBB-037CD09A155D@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
    > I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
    > etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
    > working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
    > screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
    > programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
    > desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
    > programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
    > know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

    Presuming that you exited Windows properly before unplugging the cables, the
    mere act of unplugging, moving and plugging in has no effect on a computer.
    Something else is causing your problems.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my
    computer.
    > I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the
    cables,
    > etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
    > working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as
    > screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
    > programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on
    the
    > desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
    > programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does
    anybody
    > know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

    Okay, I created a new user profile and followed all of the instructions to
    copy the data. However, things still are not working. My computer will NOT
    save any settings at all, and some programs I have to install every time I
    turn on the computer, no matter what user I am under. Does anybody know what
    is wrong??? Please help.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > 811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >
    > Create a new user ID, and move the old settings into it.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D6256F3-91A3-41F0-8BBB-037CD09A155D@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > > This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
    > > I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
    > > etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
    > > working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
    > > screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
    > > programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
    > > desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
    > > programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
    > > know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson

    ark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    >> 811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >>
    >> Create a new user ID, and move the old settings into it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Dangermouse" <Dangermouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D6256F3-91A3-41F0-8BBB-037CD09A155D@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi,
    >> > This is my first time posting. I am having problems with my computer.
    >> > I moved a couple of weeks ago and unplugged my computer, all of the cables,
    >> > etc. I have plugged everything back in at my new home, but nothing is
    >> > working correctly. The computer won't save my personal settings (such as a
    >> > screensaver or my internet home page), and it won't let me open certain
    >> > programs. I have been trying to get into Microsoft Word by clicking on the
    >> > desktop shortcut, but a box pops up that says the shortcut only works for
    >> > programs that are installed. Word IS installed on my computer! Does anybody
    >> > know what could be going on? Please, please help!!

Computers Windows XP