Question about Wireless

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering starting a small WISP and had a few questions. From what
I've been told and what I've read, I am assuming I need the following
equipment to get me started:

- an actual server
- a WAP connected to a High Gain Antanne
- a high gain antanne mounted on a high place
- a router
- a fast network connection

Now, once I have this all purchased am I correct in assuming that I simply
go about setting up a DHCP enabled WAN that is locked down by MAC address?
I mean setting this up is really no different than setting up a LAN with
wireless except I integrate a high gain, right? Or am I missing something
crucial here?

Thanks,
Anthony

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Extended Partition wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm considering starting a small WISP and had a few questions. From what
> I've been told and what I've read, I am assuming I need the following
> equipment to get me started:
>
> - an actual server
> - a WAP connected to a High Gain Antanne
> - a high gain antanne mounted on a high place
> - a router
> - a fast network connection
>
> Now, once I have this all purchased am I correct in assuming that I simply
> go about setting up a DHCP enabled WAN that is locked down by MAC address?
> I mean setting this up is really no different than setting up a LAN with
> wireless except I integrate a high gain, right? Or am I missing something
> crucial here?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

What's the server going to be doing? DNS, POP3, SMTP, HTML, RADIUS,
bandwidth throttling, DHCP, etc. etc.?? By high gain antenna, what do
you mean? What is going to be your pipe to the internet? Will your
account get closed when they find out you're reselling the bandwidth?

You have a lot to learn before jumping into the business unless you are
doing it on a tiny shoestring and don't have much to lose (including
friends and/or customers).

Subscribe to and read for about a month / 2 months the mail list at
mailto:join-isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com

Scour the archives as well, your questions have been answered before
(and they're not simple answers).

"Extended Partition" <extendedpartition@yahoo.com> wrote in

> - an actual server

This is only needed if you intend on running e-mail/web/ftp/etc.

> - a WAP connected to a High Gain Antanne
> - a high gain antanne mounted on a high place
> - a router
> - a fast network connection
>
> Now, once I have this all purchased am I correct in assuming that I
> simply go about setting up a DHCP enabled WAN that is locked down by
> MAC address? I mean setting this up is really no different than
> setting up a LAN with wireless except I integrate a high gain, right?
> Or am I missing something crucial here?

You may want to get a RADIUS server to provide user authentication. By
using RADIUS w/ 802.1x authentication, you can avoid a lot of the
venerabilities associated with WEP.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)