When I click on an icon on the desktop to open a program I am finding
that all icons have been selected so I end up getting a message that to
open all of the selected programs at once will take a long time & asks
if I wish to proceed. If I go to other lists like my documents clicking
one selects them all. How do I stop this happening?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a stuck shift key

--
Mark L. Ferguson