Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New mobo, authorization problems

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:15:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I installed a new mobo, cpu, psu, after my old ones in an E-machines t2482
died. After the installation of the new parts, i connected the older 80gb HD
to the mobo, since i was told by a pc tech guy i could do that. WHen i boot
the pc, i come to the welcome screen, then followed by the authorization
screen, saying i must authorize my windows before i can proceed, etc.

First, i cannot access the internet by the cable i have hardwired into a
router. This cable worked fine with the old pc. When my auth attempts failed
over the internet, i called their rep/machine so that i could give them the
code generated by the XP authorization screen. I tried twice, and both times
i was told the codes were invalid.

How can I get XP authorized? The XP version is still the same from when i
first bought/installed it, and its not a pirated or generated version. Im
totally lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:41:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If Windows XP was preinstalled by eMachine and you
did not replace the defective motherboard with the exact
eMachine replacement, your eMachine version of Windows
XP is not going to activate since it is looking for the same BIOS.
All you can do is to purchase a conventional "Full Version" of
Windows XP and proceed with a "Repair Install".

A preinstalled OEM version of Windows XP cannot be used
with a different type of motherboard. The license is tied to
a specific motherboard model and BIOS and cannot be transferred.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Demento19" wrote:

| I installed a new mobo, cpu, psu, after my old ones in an E-machines t2482
| died. After the installation of the new parts, i connected the older 80gb HD
| to the mobo, since i was told by a pc tech guy i could do that. WHen i boot
| the pc, i come to the welcome screen, then followed by the authorization
| screen, saying i must authorize my windows before i can proceed, etc.
|
| First, i cannot access the internet by the cable i have hardwired into a
| router. This cable worked fine with the old pc. When my auth attempts failed
| over the internet, i called their rep/machine so that i could give them the
| code generated by the XP authorization screen. I tried twice, and both times
| i was told the codes were invalid.
|
| How can I get XP authorized? The XP version is still the same from when i
| first bought/installed it, and its not a pirated or generated version. Im
| totally lost.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok, now how will that work... do i just put in the new XP disk, and i can
re-install from a dialouge that pops up? Even tho XP right now wont even let
me onto my desktop?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> If Windows XP was preinstalled by eMachine and you
> did not replace the defective motherboard with the exact
> eMachine replacement, your eMachine version of Windows
> XP is not going to activate since it is looking for the same BIOS.
> All you can do is to purchase a conventional "Full Version" of
> Windows XP and proceed with a "Repair Install".
>
> A preinstalled OEM version of Windows XP cannot be used
> with a different type of motherboard. The license is tied to
> a specific motherboard model and BIOS and cannot be transferred.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Demento19" wrote:
>
> | I installed a new mobo, cpu, psu, after my old ones in an E-machines t2482
> | died. After the installation of the new parts, i connected the older 80gb HD
> | to the mobo, since i was told by a pc tech guy i could do that. WHen i boot
> | the pc, i come to the welcome screen, then followed by the authorization
> | screen, saying i must authorize my windows before i can proceed, etc.
> |
> | First, i cannot access the internet by the cable i have hardwired into a
> | router. This cable worked fine with the old pc. When my auth attempts failed
> | over the internet, i called their rep/machine so that i could give them the
> | code generated by the XP authorization screen. I tried twice, and both times
> | i was told the codes were invalid.
> |
> | How can I get XP authorized? The XP version is still the same from when i
> | first bought/installed it, and its not a pirated or generated version. Im
> | totally lost.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:04:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Read and follow the instructions precisely:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Demento19" wrote:

| Ok, now how will that work... do i just put in the new XP disk, and i can
| re-install from a dialouge that pops up? Even tho XP right now wont even let
| me onto my desktop?
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:43:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Demento19 wrote:
> I installed a new mobo, cpu, psu, after my old ones in an E-machines t2482
> died. After the installation of the new parts, i connected the older 80gb HD
> to the mobo, since i was told by a pc tech guy i could do that. WHen i boot
> the pc, i come to the welcome screen, then followed by the authorization
> screen, saying i must authorize my windows before i can proceed, etc.
>
> First, i cannot access the internet by the cable i have hardwired into a
> router. This cable worked fine with the old pc. When my auth attempts failed
> over the internet, i called their rep/machine so that i could give them the
> code generated by the XP authorization screen. I tried twice, and both times
> i was told the codes were invalid.
>
> How can I get XP authorized? The XP version is still the same from when i
> first bought/installed it, and its not a pirated or generated version. Im
> totally lost.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.....


Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!