Windows XP Home Edition

I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq Armada
7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....

Kind regards
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition

    Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.

    "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
    > need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
    > Armada
    > 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
    > any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
    > nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Mike

    So does that mean that I will have to revert back to boring old Win 98SE
    again or is it possible that there is something else like a work-around that
    I might be able to do?

    Many thanks
    Mike

    "Donny Broome" wrote:

    > Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.
    >

    > "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
    > > need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
    > > Armada
    > > 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
    > > any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
    > > nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
    > >
    > > Kind regards
    > > Mike

    You need to find Windows XP drivers designed for your hardware. If you
    cannot find them at the manufacturer's site, you can sometime find
    'homemade' drivers at www.driverguide.com

    > So does that mean that I will have to revert back to boring old Win 98SE
    > again or is it possible that there is something else like a work-around
    > that
    > I might be able to do?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Mike
    >
    > "Donny Broome" wrote:
    >
    >> Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.
    >>

    >> "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition.
    >> > need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
    >> > Armada
    >> > 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is,
    >> > if
    >> > any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that
    >> > (means
    >> > nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
    >> >
    >> > Kind regards
    >> > Mike

    "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
    >need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq Armada
    >7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
    >any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
    >nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
    >
    >Kind regards
    >Mike

    The Compaq website does list Windows 2000 drivers for the Armada 7770
    and these *might* work with Windows XP.

    For your information Windows 2000 is Windows NT version 5.0 and
    Windows XP is Windows NT version 5.1

    If the Windows 2000 drivers do not work and if the generic drivers
    installed from the Windows XP CD are not working properly then you are
    probably out of luck with regards to using Windows XP on that laptop.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP