Windows XP Home Edition

a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:53:32 AM

I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq Armada
7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....

Kind regards
Mike

More about : windows home edition

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:12:04 AM

Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.

"MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
> need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
> Armada
> 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
> any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
> nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
>
> Kind regards
> Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:12:05 AM

So does that mean that I will have to revert back to boring old Win 98SE
again or is it possible that there is something else like a work-around that
I might be able to do?

Many thanks
Mike

"Donny Broome" wrote:

> Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.
>

> "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
> > need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
> > Armada
> > 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
> > any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
> > nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Mike

a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:06:48 PM

You need to find Windows XP drivers designed for your hardware. If you
cannot find them at the manufacturer's site, you can sometime find
'homemade' drivers at www.driverguide.com

> So does that mean that I will have to revert back to boring old Win 98SE
> again or is it possible that there is something else like a work-around
> that
> I might be able to do?
>
> Many thanks
> Mike
>
> "Donny Broome" wrote:
>
>> Neither. It's Windows XP. The drivers for NT 4 and NT 3.1 WILL NOT work.
>>

>> "MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition.
>> > need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq
>> > Armada
>> > 7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is,
>> > if
>> > any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that
>> > (means
>> > nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
>> >
>> > Kind regards
>> > Mike

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 3:37:18 PM

"MickY G" <MickYG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just upgraded my laptop from Win 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. I
>need to get some downloads from the Compaq/HP website (it's a Compaq Armada
>7770DMT laptop) but I don't know what version of NT XP Home Edition is, if
>any? Compaq needs to know if it's NT4 or 3.1, or summat like that (means
>nothing to me)? Can anyone help please? Many thanks and.....
>
>Kind regards
>Mike

The Compaq website does list Windows 2000 drivers for the Armada 7770
and these *might* work with Windows XP.

For your information Windows 2000 is Windows NT version 5.0 and
Windows XP is Windows NT version 5.1

If the Windows 2000 drivers do not work and if the generic drivers
installed from the Windows XP CD are not working properly then you are
probably out of luck with regards to using Windows XP on that laptop.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP