Internet Access and Wireless LAN via Linksys WRT54G Wirele..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 10:25:33 PM

Is anyone able to provide information on how to connect a desktop and
a laptop to each other and the internet through a Linksys WRT54G
Wireless-G Router?

I have the cable modem and the desktop each plugged into the WRT54G,
and am able to access the internet with both the desktop running
WinXP-Pro and a Fujitsu P5000 laptop running WinXP-Home. But attempts
to configure both computers to network over the wireless link have not
been successful. Is a wireless LAN configuration like this even
possible?

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera, LDighera@att.net

>Is anyone able to provide information on how to connect a desktop and
>a laptop to each other and the internet through a Linksys WRT54G
>Wireless-G Router?
>
>I have the cable modem and the desktop each plugged into the WRT54G,
>and am able to access the internet with both the desktop running
>WinXP-Pro and a Fujitsu P5000 laptop running WinXP-Home. But attempts
>to configure both computers to network over the wireless link have not
>been successful. Is a wireless LAN configuration like this even
>possible?
>

>--

Run the network setup on both boxes the same as if they were on a
wired network . Both must be on a network with the same name. Each box
-must- have a different name or they can't see each other. Takes 20
seconds to run the network wizard on each then reboot. Double click
"My Network Places" to see all the boxes on the network.

If that will not work delete any bridges that show up under network
connections and reboot. If that still doesn't do it remove(not
disable) the wireless nics and reboot should clear everything up on
it's own.

-------
Fight back!
http://tinyurl.com/hhez
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 10:38:00 PM

It is absolutely possible; as a matter of fact Win XP has a wizard that
assists you with that. Just make sure you use the same workgroup name and
actually mark some resources (directories, printers) as shared.
The wizard is under Control panel/Network and Internet Connections/setup
or change your home or small office network.
Good luck!

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Larry Dighera wrote:

> Is anyone able to provide information on how to connect a desktop and
> a laptop to each other and the internet through a Linksys WRT54G
> Wireless-G Router?

> I have the cable modem and the desktop each plugged into the WRT54G,
> and am able to access the internet with both the desktop running
> WinXP-Pro and a Fujitsu P5000 laptop running WinXP-Home. But attempts
> to configure both computers to network over the wireless link have not
> been successful. Is a wireless LAN configuration like this even
> possible?

> --

> Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
> -- Larry Dighera, LDighera@att.net

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2004 8:07:59 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:04:10 -0400, AndrewJ <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
wrote in Message-Id: <4r2fb055ptp0s8arocjlgs28lvq5s6nn9s@4ax.com>:

>>Is anyone able to provide information on how to connect a desktop and
>>a laptop to each other and the internet through a Linksys WRT54G
>>Wireless-G Router?
>>
>>I have the cable modem and the desktop each plugged into the WRT54G,
>>and am able to access the internet with both the desktop running
>>WinXP-Pro and a Fujitsu P5000 laptop running WinXP-Home. But attempts
>>to configure both computers to network over the wireless link have not
>>been successful. Is a wireless LAN configuration like this even
>>possible?
>>

>>--
>>
>Run the network setup on both boxes the same as if they were on a
>wired network .
>Both must be on a network with the same name.

I presume you are referring to the domain NAME. There is no domain
name for either the desktop nor laptop defined.

>Each box -must- have a different name or they can't see each other.

They are named differently.

>Takes 20 seconds to run the network wizard on each then reboot.

Although I had run the network wizard on both, I hand't rebooted them,
as I was not prompted to do so. Rebooting has solved the difficulty;
both boxes now see each other.

>Double click
>"My Network Places" to see all the boxes on the network.

Yep.

>If that will not work delete any bridges that show up under network
>connections and reboot. If that still doesn't do it remove(not
>disable) the wireless nics and reboot should clear everything up on
>it's own.
>
>-------
>Fight back!
>http://tinyurl.com/hhez

Many thanks for your assistance.
--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera, LDighera@att.net
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2004 3:39:49 PM

"Larry Dighera" <LDighera@att.net> schreef in bericht
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:04:10 -0400, AndrewJ <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
> wrote in Message-Id: <4r2fb055ptp0s8arocjlgs28lvq5s6nn9s@4ax.com>:
>

> >>Is anyone able to provide information on how to connect a desktop and
> >>a laptop to each other and the internet through a Linksys WRT54G
> >>Wireless-G Router?
> >>
> >>I have the cable modem and the desktop each plugged into the WRT54G,
> >>and am able to access the internet with both the desktop running
> >>WinXP-Pro and a Fujitsu P5000 laptop running WinXP-Home. But attempts
> >>to configure both computers to network over the wireless link have not
> >>been successful. Is a wireless LAN configuration like this even
> >>possible?
> >>

> >>--
> >>
> >Run the network setup on both boxes the same as if they were on a
> >wired network .
> >Both must be on a network with the same name.
>
> I presume you are referring to the domain NAME. There is no domain
> name for either the desktop nor laptop defined.
>
> >Each box -must- have a different name or they can't see each other.
>
> They are named differently.

You probably don't (want to) run a Microsoft domain controller at home ;-)
But the workgroup name ought to be the same for those systems that need
access to shared resources. It does not matter whether you're using CAT5
wires or wireless networks. The configuration rules for IP apply, like:
A system with a wired ethernet adapter as well as a wireless card needs two
IP addresses, one for each interface.
The two addresses must be in separate IP address ranges.
You might want routing enabled (or may be not).

Hans
!