Sign in with
Your question

Help on Innovision Savage4 PCI/16mb problems!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI
  • Motherboards
  • Innovision
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2001 8:14:08 AM

Hi all,

I recently bought an Innovision Savage4 PCI/16mb video card to replace my old S3 Trio64V+ PCI/1mb video card.

Anyway, my system specs are as follows...

My motherboard uses a generic TritonHX-chipset.
My motherboard has 4 ISA and 4 PCI slots (I think one of them are shared).
My motherboard doesn't have SDRAM slots, and it only uses 4x72-pins DRAM slots that is occupied by 4x16mb EDO DRAM.
My motherboard doesn't have USB support.

The CPU I am using is a Pentium 200MMX (my board doesn't support its voltage directly that's why I just used dual 2.7v and 3.3v).

Anyway, here's my problemwith the new video card. After I installed the drivers, whenever I start Windows, the computer just hangs with the mouse only displayed. Though it just happens whenever I restart or reset the computer. It works normally when during the 1st time a power-on the computer.

I haven't fully tested the card, but it really gives me that very annoying problem. I first tried it with Win98SE but failed, and now even at just Win95OSR2 it still fails and is still exhibiting the same problems I had. Even after lots of fresh re-installations from scratch, the problem would still arise.

Though after a couple successful installation, I have tried and had success installing DX6, and some 3d games (Bleem, Episode 1:Racer) and benchmarking app (Final Reality). It really is fast. But still, I had to say that it still crashes on the benchmarking util that is included in the driver CD.

Someone told me that it may be is an issue with my motherboard's old chipset and BIOS code. Unfortunately my board is very generic and I don't have means of upgrading its BIOS. Someone also told me that its an issue (or bug) on running a fast video card on an old CPU. I dunno which one of these are true or are both true.

I hope you could help me guys, I really really really need help. Thanks in advanced. :-)

More about : innovision savage4 pci 16mb problems

November 17, 2001 4:29:16 PM

whats' the min spec's on the card
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2001 11:02:14 AM

Most boards can be identified by their bios string (MOST). When your comp is booting press pause imediately after the beep.Now write down the bios string and post it here. Press enter to continue booting to windowss.

I aint signing nothing!!!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2001 12:07:03 AM

Thanks for the response, but I have already pinpointed the problem and solved it.

The card works now properly with my computer. All I had to do was to modify the "Pipelined Function" (under the "Chipset Features Setup") from "Turbo" to "Enabled".

I really dunno what does this setting do or what are its advantage/disadvantage, but when I set this "Pipelined Function" to "Enabled" all I noticed was (aside from a making Windows work now) when I go to a pure DOS environment and played KGEN (SEGA Genesis emul) and set it to run on VSYNC and use 8-bit mode, the emul ran very slow. Previously when the "Pipelined Function" was in "Turbo" KGEN would run very fast.

I hope you could give me ideas about what this setting does. Thanks. :-)
!