help, my cd-rw drive door is stuck...

August 22, 2005 1:18:01 AM

And I probably made the problem 100 times worse. I went into the device
manager, selected find hardware changes or something like that, and the next
thing I know, its missing/deleted from the system. How do I get it back on
the system and figure out why the door won't open so I can burn a cd? Thanks.

More about : drive door stuck

August 22, 2005 4:41:30 AM

In news:2B6E0E13-2E1A-4D3C-8C91-66A9EB69596A@microsoft.com,
harleyroan22 <harleyroan22@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> And I probably made the problem 100 times worse. I went into the
> device manager, selected find hardware changes or something like
> that, and the next thing I know, its missing/deleted from the system.
> How do I get it back on the system and figure out why the door won't
> open so I can burn a cd? Thanks.

Rebooting should re-install the drivers. The again maybe it's died? It could
be the drive is actually dead, not getting power, or that the cable is
broken. Take a bent paperclip and push it in the hole on the front of the
drive, that will undo the catch, if there's power to it you should then be
able to open it with the button (keep pressing in while doing so) or
manually with long fingernails and a lot of swearing.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:41:31 AM

there is no small hole on the front of the door at all. and I already
restarted the computer and this stupid computer still doesnt recognize that
there is an F drive.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:2B6E0E13-2E1A-4D3C-8C91-66A9EB69596A@microsoft.com,
> harleyroan22 <harleyroan22@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > And I probably made the problem 100 times worse. I went into the
> > device manager, selected find hardware changes or something like
> > that, and the next thing I know, its missing/deleted from the system.
> > How do I get it back on the system and figure out why the door won't
> > open so I can burn a cd? Thanks.
>
> Rebooting should re-install the drivers. The again maybe it's died? It could
> be the drive is actually dead, not getting power, or that the cable is
> broken. Take a bent paperclip and push it in the hole on the front of the
> drive, that will undo the catch, if there's power to it you should then be
> able to open it with the button (keep pressing in while doing so) or
> manually with long fingernails and a lot of swearing.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

August 22, 2005 8:07:18 AM

In news:A7E42FB2-9678-4DE0-BD3A-3C5C98369460@microsoft.com,
harleyroan22 <harleyroan22@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> there is no small hole on the front of the door at all. and I already
> restarted the computer and this stupid computer still doesnt
> recognize that there is an F drive.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:2B6E0E13-2E1A-4D3C-8C91-66A9EB69596A@microsoft.com,
>> harleyroan22 <harleyroan22@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to
>> say:

>>> And I probably made the problem 100 times worse. I went into the
>>> device manager, selected find hardware changes or something like
>>> that, and the next thing I know, its missing/deleted from the
>>> system. How do I get it back on the system and figure out why the
>>> door won't open so I can burn a cd? Thanks.
>>
>> Rebooting should re-install the drivers. The again maybe it's died?
>> It could be the drive is actually dead, not getting power, or that
>> the cable is broken. Take a bent paperclip and push it in the hole
>> on the front of the drive, that will undo the catch, if there's
>> power to it you should then be able to open it with the button (keep
>> pressing in while doing so) or manually with long fingernails and a
>> lot of swearing.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

There's no hole under the tray??? How dreadfully odd... You should check the
cables next and/or try this handy dandy script from Doug Knox MVP...

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

Galen
--