I want to use telnet to help troubleshoot email issues. From a cmd prompt i
write

telnet mail.server details 25 (or pop)

then after getting the ok i write

USER full username@username.com

But at this point i get a 502 unimplemented message.

Does anyone know what this means for certain or if someone can show the
correct syntax for verifying username and password etc.

thanks

Barry

Generally you wouldn't logon to an SMTP server (unless authentication is
required).
For a typical SMTP session It should be something like the following (each
line is a new command followed by return).

telnet
open mail.server.com 25
helo a
mail from: email@address.com
rcpt to: recipaints@email.address
data
body text goes here.
..
quit

If your going to use pop3 to check your email then it would be more like
this

telnet
open mail.server 110
user usernamegoeshere
pass passwordhere
list
retr n (to retrieve the message where n is the message number)
dele n (delete a message by the list number)
quit

(if you don't quit out changes will be lost)

"nodoz" <nodoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to use telnet to help troubleshoot email issues. From a cmd prompt i
> write
>
> telnet mail.server details 25 (or pop)
>
> then after getting the ok i write
>
> USER full username@username.com
>
> But at this point i get a 502 unimplemented message.
>
> Does anyone know what this means for certain or if someone can show the
> correct syntax for verifying username and password etc.
>
> thanks

Thank you. I assume this <enter> after each line (which ok's each command)??

"Barry" wrote:

> Generally you wouldn't logon to an SMTP server (unless authentication is
> required).
> For a typical SMTP session It should be something like the following (each
> line is a new command followed by return).
>
> telnet
> open mail.server.com 25
> helo a
> mail from: email@address.com
> rcpt to: recipaints@email.address
> data
> body text goes here.
> ..
> quit
>
> If your going to use pop3 to check your email then it would be more like
> this
>
> telnet
> open mail.server 110
> user usernamegoeshere
> pass passwordhere
> list
> retr n (to retrieve the message where n is the message number)
> dele n (delete a message by the list number)
> quit
>
> (if you don't quit out changes will be lost)
>
> "nodoz" <nodoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to use telnet to help troubleshoot email issues. From a cmd prompt i
> > write
> >
> > telnet mail.server details 25 (or pop)
> >
> > then after getting the ok i write
> >
> > USER full username@username.com
> >
> > But at this point i get a 502 unimplemented message.
> >
> > Does anyone know what this means for certain or if someone can show the
> > correct syntax for verifying username and password etc.
> >
> > thanks

Barry

Yes, either the return key or the enter key will submit the command using
telent.