Your Opinions On - Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
My Brother is looking to upgrade his Graphics card.
His spec is :

PII 400
256MB SDRAM
Voodoo 3 2000

We decided on a:

Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450 TV Golden Sample 64MB DDR (AGP) - Retail (GX-001-GW)

What do people think of this card ? Is it a good choice ? And lastly but please do not go mad, do you have any other suggestions ?

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I don't know of a Ti 450, must be a geforce2ti with 4.5ns ram.
Depends what the price is, I'd get it if its under $100 but otherwise get a GTS-V for around 60.. I don't think the speed diff matters their both dx7 cards I would get the cheapest DX7 card you could (GTS-V) or spend more and get a Geforce3, anything inbetween is going to be money that was that much closer to getting a real upgrade, a DX8 card.

G

The card is indeed a Geforce 2 with 4.5ns RAM.
I really don't see how a DX8 card like a Geforce 3 is going to benefit my system any more than geforce 2... and there is a huge difference in price with the Gainward coming in @ $164 and the Geforce 3 @ a much higher value in the region excess of $300. I live in England where a u can expect to pay around £300 for a Geforce3 ($430) which is just rediculous.

As for the GTS-V - what is this please?

The Gainward's specs are:
( <A HREF="http://www.gainward.com/us/products/cardexpert%20geforce2%20ti450tv.htm" target="_new">http://www.gainward.com/us/products/cardexpert%20geforce2%20ti450tv.htm</A> )

Notice it has a VO out which is another bonus for getting it

Si

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ballardio on 11/17/01 02:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
the /450 is the model number. The TI isn't bad, but you realy should upgrade the system. The vidcard does quite a bit, but the CPU needs to have some power.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
It would depend on how fast your system is, if you have a Athlon or P4 I'd try to get the Geforce3. Anything else you might as well go for a G2. I only say only decide financially because no matter what system you have if you plan on upgrading it sometime the Geforce 3 will last longer. i'm still using a geforce 2mx, on a athlon XP 1700+ and I run everything as good as any other geforce2, the extra speed isnt really needed imho. I speak from experience I had a Gainward Geforce 2 Pro 450 and the card didnt give any tangible benefits in any of my games (max payne,sacrifice,black and white,madden2002) so I sold it. The image quality is no different, but it would be different going from a DX7 card to a DX8 with programmable TnL available. Thats why I say who cares about the speed a MX speed card is enough for me but anyone who 'plays' 3dmark wouldn't agree. My monitor is only 19inch and the super high res that the faster GF2 cards offer me just doesnt look good on that small of a monitor. I run my games in 1024x768x32 usually normal or max detail, no slowdown in any of the games listed above and I have a slow 6ns MX...

If I was to buy a card right now I would get the GTS-V not the MX because for the price difference (abt $10 American dollars) you do get quite a jump in speed that I said was not worth spending the extra money for. Yes the speed gains out of the upper end Geforce2's does help but what I'm trying to say is theres no reason to spend more unless you have a gigantic monitor or for some reason like FSAA which never turned me on. ALL Geforce2's will choke and die in DX8 games so that extra speed is not going to help. Some tests show the Geforce2 Ultra gaining 1fps over a GTS in DX8 games like Aquanox.

The GTS-V is a 'value' GTS but very cheap for what you get. They are underclocked slightly but everyone who has had experience with it claim that getting to stock GTS speeds is not a problem for any of the cards. Someone also said they checked the core and they are marked as normal GTS cores.
As for other options, ATI doesnt offer anything near as good a deal as the GTS-V, a Radeon 32ddr can be picked up for the same price but that card really isnt in the GTS's league as far as speed is concerned. Some will argue about image quality, deepness of colors ect, or that Geforce's 2D quality above 1024x768 is poor but my card does fine at 1024x768 in 2D.. your monitor plays a very large part in that also but people neglect that fact.

G

which one... ths GTS - V ? Someone pls tell me some info on this card!! pls :)

Si

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did I say anything about the GTS-V? Did anyone? Last I knew we were talking about a card with FASTER than standard memory, the Gainward GeForce2ti /450, which is Gainwards replacement for their GTS/Pro 450. Those cards come with 4.5ns memory. The standard for the GTS is 6ns. The GTS-V comes with 7ns memory at a much slower clock speed. Even slower than the cheapest standard GTS. How about this-the GTS-V is still a GTS and should still outperform a MX, but is probably the slowest GTS card ever made.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Sorry Crashman I was a bit confused after the other post, thx for the info + recommendation :)

Si

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Thanks alot to everyone who has posted so far. And just to clarify Ballardio Is actually my brother, and that is why some of his replys are in direct relation to the intial question.

Well I think we are going to stick with this card as it is very well priced and nobody has said that it has any major issues. But keep any extra comments coming if you feel the need :)

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I did notice kinney mentioned the GTS-V. But the original question concerned the Gainward GeForce2ti /450. The GTS-V would be about 63% slower than the Gainward card, do to it's slower mmeory. 7ns memory supports 143MHz (DDR 286), while 4.5ns memory supports 225MHz (DDR450). The framerates of the GTS are in direct proportion to memory speed.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Right ... I see :)

It's memory is considerably faster then. :O

thx again Crashman

dhlucke

Polypheme
That card is the same as the old Golden Sample Ge Force2 Pro 450 which I have. I ran it on my old PII 400 before building my new system and it was fine, but your processor is such a bottleneck that buying that card is overkill. Nonetheless if you have any plans on upgrading I would go for it. It was a nice improvment and you WILL be able to play all games flawlessly.

For reference I had a Voodoo3 3000 before on the old PII 400 and my 3DMark2K1 score was 554. With the Gainward card I got around 1500. On my T-bird 1000 I score a little shy of 4000 with the same card.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

With any luck I should be getting a P3 650 by the end of the week, so that should help things too :)

Si