Sign in with
Your question

Help please.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 2, 2013 4:41:13 PM

My sons laptop is shutting of and on when he turns it on but won't actually boot. He has tried F2 F5 and holding power button in for 15 to 30 second from yahoo answers no joy. It's an acre aspire 14 months old and up to now no problems

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance
Lesley

More about : question

a b D Laptop
March 2, 2013 5:07:04 PM

Lesley42 said:
My sons laptop is shutting of and on when he turns it on but won't actually boot. He has tried F2 F5 and holding power button in for 15 to 30 second from yahoo answers no joy. It's an acre aspire 14 months old and up to now no problems

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance
Lesley

take the battery off the bottom and the power supply. check that both ram sticks are seated. also look at the ac brick..make sure the pin on the brick and the wires are not damaged and the pin on the mb is not broken. check the voltage output of the bricks or see if someone has another brick you can try. on laptops it can be the system board failure or the cpu heatsink is lose..or the hard drive failed and is pulling more power then the laptop mb can give it. for the last issue you can try and pull the hard drive from the laptop...see if it posts. you can also try the vendor customer product support. not tech support put customer relation dept. you may if you get the right person a one time repair becuase the unit was close to one year warranty and failed...may also cut the repair cost if you have to send it in for repair.
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2013 6:23:03 PM

It's likely one of two issues:
1) power related
2) unfixable hardware issue (unfixable by you)

Troubleshooting:
1) remove the battery and run from power bar ONLY
2) if that does not work, try to borrow another power bar

Unfortunately, my guess is something on the motherboard. Acer is known for very poor quality computers and poor customer support. I warned my brother-in-law and he bought one anyway. His laptop died and he discovered that he had to put in his Service Number to contact Acer Support but because his Warranty was expired it wouldn't allow him to proceed.
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:43:10 PM

Thank you both for your help no doubt it will be whatever is the most expensive. I wish I had known acre were bad because it wasn't cheap :(  I will get it looked at because I don't have a clue about the internal of it
Thanks again
Lesley
m
l
!