Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Gaming/School laptop

March 2, 2013 6:20:28 PM

I'm trying to decide between two laptops that will be used for gaming.

I have done months of research and looked at many options.

1. What is your budget?

My budget is $1000-$1750

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17.3 Inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Definitely 1920 X 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement, laptop weight does not effect me

5. How much battery life do you need?

Probably 4+ hours when not gaming and on minimum/power saving options

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would like to play games on maximum settings if possible, I might make concessions if the price would be significantly lowered.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

School, CAD, and maybe video editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need

A SSD (around 128-256 GB) for the OS, apps, and games. Then a hard drive foe everything else (750-1000 GB)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Best Buy online, Amazon

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Around 4 years preferably

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

At least a Bluray ROM, maybe a writer but not necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I really like and prefer MSI for it's quality and features, NO alienware NO exceptions

13. What country do you live in?

Good ol' US of A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am currently looking at two MSI GT70

1. GT70 0ND-492US http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&... The price at bestbuy.com is $1749.99

2. GT70 0ND-444US http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&... The price at bestbuy.com is 1499.99 currently on sale for $1,441.99

I have some questions about the above two models

1. What are the performance difference between the two GPUs the 675m and 675mx

2. Does the GT70 0ND-444US have a msata slot so I could upgrade a SSD on my own and save some money

3. I know that 8 GB of memory is plenty for games so 12 GB should be fine, but when would 16 GB be better than 12 GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any other laptop suggestions that are comparable would be helpful to. Thanks again.
!