Hot 4700 Dimension

Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
enclosed area.

Thanks.

~k
4 answers Last reply
More about 4700 dimension

    "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote:

    >Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
    >the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
    >enclosed area.

    That's not normal. Better call Dell.

    See these:

    http://tinyurl.com/db732
    http://tinyurl.com/d3uca

    Are all the fans working? Can you feel the air exhausting?

    "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
    > Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
    > the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
    > enclosed area.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~k

    yes
    "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
    Are all the fans working? Can you feel the air exhausting?

    "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
    > Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
    > the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
    > enclosed area.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~k

    "Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message news:fwGse.229$Vr6.1713@eagle.america.net...
    > Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
    > the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
    > enclosed area.

    I imagine that a reversed CPU fan equipped 4700 with a 550 running
    balls to the wall for a couple of hours would get a bit toasty and the
    case would feel noticeably warmer than the case of a similarly equipped
    machine with better cooling. But unless you perform some kind of
    controlled test across two similar 4700's, or do so with someone else
    and compare measured temps, I'm not sure how you would get a good
    feel for whether yours is getting hotter than what is to be expected.

    One obvious thing to do would be to carefully expect the machine and
    the path the air takes, looking for any obstructions. Another basic
    thing you could check is that the variable speed CPU fan is stepping
    up in response to higher temperatures. If you fire up a cold box in
    a cool room the fan should be at its lowest setting. If you run a CPU
    benchmarking program for awhile, the system will heat up and you
    should hear the CPU fan speed increase. Someone mentioned that
    the diagnostics include a fan speed test, and if so it wouldn't hurt to
    take a look at that. Somewhere else I read that, at least on certain
    Dells, if you go into system setup there is a fan speed related setting.
    Something else to experiment with.

    Let us know what happens.

Dell Internet Explorer Dimension Computers