System restore filter can't process file

August 22, 2005 4:51:35 AM

I've been noticed an error message in the event viewer
about the system restore filter not being able to process
a file. The file, modules.ini, probably belongs to the Hoverdesk
program (which I use as a wharf/dock). Each theme has one.
Two other programs use a modules.ini but they haven't been used
in quite some time.
Here's the info from the log.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 8/21/2005
Time: 10:59:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINXP2
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000034'
while processing the file 'modules.ini' on the volume
'HarddiskVolume15'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

Data:
0000: 04 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:18:37 PM

Hi Marc,

Do a search of all drives for modules.ini. If this file is not located on the
drive/partition Windows is installed on, I would suggest you stop System Restore from
monitoring that drive. In most cases, it is not a good idea to monitor drives other than
the one System Restore is installed on.

How to disable a monitored drive in System Restore.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Marc D. Williams wrote:
> I've been noticed an error message in the event viewer
> about the system restore filter not being able to process
> a file. The file, modules.ini, probably belongs to the
> Hoverdesk program (which I use as a wharf/dock). Each
> theme has one. Two other programs use a modules.ini but they haven't
> been used in quite some time.
> Here's the info from the log.
>

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: sr
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1
> Date: 8/21/2005
> Time: 10:59:52 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: WINXP2
> The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected
> error '0xC0000034' while processing the file
> 'modules.ini' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume15'. It has
> stopped monitoring the volume.
> Data:
> 0000: 04 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
> 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:12:11 AM

Bert Kinney wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Do a search of all drives for modules.ini. If this file is not located on the
> drive/partition Windows is installed on, I would suggest you stop System Restore from
> monitoring that drive. In most cases, it is not a good idea to monitor drives other than
> the one System Restore is installed on.

Thanks for the help. Any modules.ini files are located on the G:
partition which is used only for applications (essentially a
replacement for Program Files). This way I don't clutter up
the C: partition too much.
Anything there can be easily reinstalled.

Thanks again.
Marc
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:51:51 PM