Problems with XP start up

i started to have a problem with my comp when i tryed to install the updates
and SP2 into the comp, so when it starts it turns on fine then when it gets
to the main screen and u see the background it stays there and does not
finish loading. i tryed to get into the Safe Mode but same problem, what is
the problem and what can i do, and how do i get into the system restore

Manually uninstall the sp2 update, do a repair setup, then install sp2 again.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

(per the above article)
Boot to setup CD, and press "r" for Recovery Console Run the command : cd .\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst ,then run: BATCH
SPUNINST.TXT ,Restart windows, from start/run type: SFC /SCANNOW ,(or do an "Upgrade" setup of XP) then reinstall SP2
--
Mark L. Ferguson