Quick Launch Bar Has Disappeared

August 22, 2005 5:43:32 AM

System Win32 XPPro SP2.

I deleted various unwanted files (Leo's Icon Archive/ free icons) which I
had downloaded previously and am very sure they were not related in any way
to Win system files.

Now the Quick Launch Bar has disappeared.

Here is what I've done trying to rectify this:

1. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, point to Toolbars, clicked Quick Launch
==> a window pops up "Cannot create toolbar". I repeated this several times
(locked and unlocked T/bar) but same result.

2. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, clicked Properties, check-marked Show
Quick Launch, clicked Apply, clicked OK ==> the Q/L bar does not appear. I
repeated this several times (locked and unlocked T/bar) and each time the
check-mark for Show Quick Launch is removed.

FYI: The System Restore utility was turned off for quite some time ( I
forgot to turn it on after a virus scan/removal), so this option can be
discounted.

Is there any way to recover or re-install the Quick Launch Bar?
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:09:39 PM

"Cannot create Toolbar" error when you enable Quick Launch
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/QLError.htm

This may Repair Quick Launch.....
Go here:

Read instructions at the top.
Scroll down to:
296. Right hand side
Cannot Create Toolbar (QL) - .REG or .VBS
Click on: .REG or .VBS
----

Check Quick Launch folder to make sure that there is a desktop.ini present.

%homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch
----

I know that BlazeFind changed the following setting for one poster.

Verify this setting in the registry.
Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Userinit C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,

Do not forget to add the comma at the end.
Close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.
----

Kelly's Taskbar Repair Tool
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A4DE554F-39AA-434C-8197-D2D21B28DE86@microsoft.com,
Kayman <Kayman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> System Win32 XPPro SP2.
>
> I deleted various unwanted files (Leo's Icon Archive/ free icons) which I
> had downloaded previously and am very sure they were not related in any
> way to Win system files.
>
> Now the Quick Launch Bar has disappeared.
>
> Here is what I've done trying to rectify this:
>
> 1. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, point to Toolbars, clicked Quick Launch
> ==> a window pops up "Cannot create toolbar". I repeated this several
> times (locked and unlocked T/bar) but same result.
>
> 2. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, clicked Properties, check-marked Show
> Quick Launch, clicked Apply, clicked OK ==> the Q/L bar does not appear.
> I repeated this several times (locked and unlocked T/bar) and each time
> the check-mark for Show Quick Launch is removed.
>
> FYI: The System Restore utility was turned off for quite some time ( I
> forgot to turn it on after a virus scan/removal), so this option can be
> discounted.
>
> Is there any way to recover or re-install the Quick Launch Bar?
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:10:02 PM

Thanks for response.
This is what I've done:
Down loaded from Kellys Korner .REG and saved d.82 reg in C:\My Downloads.
Clicked Properties and clicked 'Unblock' file.
Clicked Properties and clicked Merge - successfull entered d.82 reg into
registry.
Checked registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE....confirm presence of:
C:\Windows\System32\userinet.exe,
Right-clicked TaskBar, clicked Properties, placed check-mark in Show Quick
launch box, clicked Apply & OK==>Nothing Happened.
Tried again==>Nothing Happened. As before, check-mark was removed.

Right-clickedTaskBar, unlocked TaskBar, clicked New ToolBar, added Quick
Launch Folder.
This was successfully executed but the Quick Launch application is now
located on the bottom right-hand side on the screen beside the Notification
area.
How can I relocate the Quick Launch application to the left-side on the
screen (beside the Start button)?
Also, when placing short cut icons (say 6 or 8) into the Quick-Launch
application, 3 icons were displayed on the taskbar. This is not the case
anymore. How can get back this feature?
Best regards,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> "Cannot create Toolbar" error when you enable Quick Launch
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/QLError.htm
>
> This may Repair Quick Launch.....
> Go here:
>
> Read instructions at the top.
> Scroll down to:
> 296. Right hand side
> Cannot Create Toolbar (QL) - .REG or .VBS
> Click on: .REG or .VBS
> ----
>
> Check Quick Launch folder to make sure that there is a desktop.ini present.
>
> %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> or
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Quick Launch
> ----
>
> I know that BlazeFind changed the following setting for one poster.
>
> Verify this setting in the registry.
> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
> Navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Userinit C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> Do not forget to add the comma at the end.
> Close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.
> ----
>
> Kelly's Taskbar Repair Tool
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A4DE554F-39AA-434C-8197-D2D21B28DE86@microsoft.com,
> Kayman <Kayman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > System Win32 XPPro SP2.
> >
> > I deleted various unwanted files (Leo's Icon Archive/ free icons) which I
> > had downloaded previously and am very sure they were not related in any
> > way to Win system files.
> >
> > Now the Quick Launch Bar has disappeared.
> >
> > Here is what I've done trying to rectify this:
> >
> > 1. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, point to Toolbars, clicked Quick Launch
> > ==> a window pops up "Cannot create toolbar". I repeated this several
> > times (locked and unlocked T/bar) but same result.
> >
> > 2. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, clicked Properties, check-marked Show
> > Quick Launch, clicked Apply, clicked OK ==> the Q/L bar does not appear.
> > I repeated this several times (locked and unlocked T/bar) and each time
> > the check-mark for Show Quick Launch is removed.
> >
> > FYI: The System Restore utility was turned off for quite some time ( I
> > forgot to turn it on after a virus scan/removal), so this option can be
> > discounted.
> >
> > Is there any way to recover or re-install the Quick Launch Bar?

August 22, 2005 11:55:19 PM

You still have something messed up.

Reboot. And try Quick Launch again.

Did you...paste the following commands one by one in the Start | Run box and
click OK:

REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL

You'll see this message if it worked...
DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in SHELL32.DLL succeeded.

REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL

You'll see this message if it worked...
DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in BROWSEUI.DLL succeeded.

Try Quick Launch again, if it doesn't work correctly, reboot and try again.

If not, sometimes you have to unregister and then register a file. I don't
know why.

Paste the following commands one by one in the RUN dialog and click OK:

REGSVR32 /u SHELL32.DLL

You'll see this message if it worked...
DllUnregisterServer in SHELL32.DLL succeeded.

REGSVR32 /u BROWSEUI.DLL

You'll see this message if it worked...
DllUnregisterServer in BROWSEUI.DLL succeeded.

Then repeat the...
REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL
and
REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL
commands.

Try Quick Launch again, if it doesn't work correctly, reboot and try again.

Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4BCA6E61-7B6C-4598-9E9E-3DBB99871967@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>>> any way to Win system files.
>>>
>>> Now the Quick Launch Bar has disappeared.
>>>
>>> Here is what I've done trying to rectify this:
>>>
>>> 1. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, point to Toolbars, clicked Quick
>>> Launch ==> a window pops up "Cannot create toolbar". I repeated this
>>> several times (locked and unlocked T/bar) but same result.
>>>
>>> 2. Right-clicked unlocked Taskbar, clicked Properties, check-marked Show
>>> Quick Launch, clicked Apply, clicked OK ==> the Q/L bar does not appear.
>>> I repeated this several times (locked and unlocked T/bar) and each time
>>> the check-mark for Show Quick Launch is removed.
>>>
>>> FYI: The System Restore utility was turned off for quite some time ( I
>>> forgot to turn it on after a virus scan/removal), so this option can be
>>> discounted.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to recover or re-install the Quick Launch Bar?
August 23, 2005 9:06:08 AM

I followed you intructions to the letter. All entries made in Start | Run box
"succeeded", I also rebooted after each entry made.
Unfortunately when clicking Quick Launch the same old message pops up;
"Cannot create toolbar". I repeated the entire process several times
(entries always "succeeded") but no luck.
I double checked in HKEY_LOCAL........the file
C:\Windows\Systems32\userinit.exe, it is still there.
Searched for.ini files and found:
desktop.ini==>C:\WINDOWS, 1KB, Configuration Settings.
destop.ini==>C:\WINDOWS\system32, 1KB, Configuration Settings.
DESKTOP.INI==>C:\Program File\Microsoft\Office10\1033\data Services, 1KB,
Configuration Settings.
DESKTOP.INI==>C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\webserver
extensions\50\bin, 1KB, Configuration Settings.

I scanned with (updated) Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and McAfee; no malware detected.
Regards,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Cannot Create Toolbar (QL) - .REG or .VBS
> >> Click on: .REG or .VBS
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Check Quick Launch folder to make sure that there is a desktop.ini
> >> present.
> >>
> >> %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> >> or
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application
> >> Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> >> ----
> >>
> >> I know that BlazeFind changed the following setting for one poster.
> >>
> >> Verify this setting in the registry.
> >> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
> >> Navigate to:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> >> Userinit C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,
> >>
> >> Do not forget to add the comma at the end.
> >> Close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.

August 23, 2005 6:42:12 PM

All is A1 OK!!!!
I finally was able to re-install the Quick Launch Bar. I ran IE4UNIT.EXE and
it worked!!
Thanks for your assistance and patience!!!
Best regards,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Cannot Create Toolbar (QL) - .REG or .VBS
> >> Click on: .REG or .VBS
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Check Quick Launch folder to make sure that there is a desktop.ini
> >> present.
> >>
> >> %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> >> or
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Application
> >> Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> >> ----
> >>
> >> I know that BlazeFind changed the following setting for one poster.
> >>
> >> Verify this setting in the registry.
> >> Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
> >> Navigate to:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> >> Userinit C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,
> >>
> >> Do not forget to add the comma at the end.
> >> Close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer.

August 24, 2005 11:13:16 PM

I thought that IE4UINIT.EXE was for IE 4.x and 5.x. But I found it on my
machine. Thanks for the tip.

So you had some dll files that got registered. What did Fix IE Log.txt say?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:85ACDE21-301C-4D22-9B70-1A6997AD1B4F@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>>> registry.
>>> Checked registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE....confirm presence of:
>>> C:\Windows\System32\userinet.exe,
>>> Right-clicked TaskBar, clicked Properties, placed check-mark in Show
>>> Quick launch box, clicked Apply & OK==>Nothing Happened.
>>> Tried again==>Nothing Happened. As before, check-mark was removed.
>>>
>>> Right-clickedTaskBar, unlocked TaskBar, clicked New ToolBar, added Quick
>>> Launch Folder.
>>> This was successfully executed but the Quick Launch application is now
>>> located on the bottom right-hand side on the screen beside the
>>> Notification area.
>>> How can I relocate the Quick Launch application to the left-side on the
>>> screen (beside the Start button)?
>>> Also, when placing short cut icons (say 6 or 8) into the Quick-Launch
>>> application, 3 icons were displayed on the taskbar. This is not the case

August 25, 2005 4:42:02 AM

Well, I followed you instructions as per your post of 8/22/05 6:55PM.
Unfortunately this did not fix the problem and was unable to create the
toolbar Q/Launch application.

Then I spotted the URL http://www.winexptutor.com/wsaremove.htm on your post
and accessed this website, downloaded deskbands.exe, followed the
instructions accordingly. After clicking Quick Launch the application with
the internet explorer icon (e) appeared immediately on its old location
beside the Start button. I am really happy about that.
Thanks again for your patience and for pointing me in the right direction.
P.S. some general templates icons were located in the 'old' Quick Launch bar
which I wish to recover. I am going to make a new post about this shortly.
Best regards,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> I thought that IE4UINIT.EXE was for IE 4.x and 5.x. But I found it on my
> machine. Thanks for the tip.
>
> So you had some dll files that got registered. What did Fix IE Log.txt say?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:85ACDE21-301C-4D22-9B70-1A6997AD1B4F@microsoft.com,
> Kayman <Kayman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > All is A1 OK!!!!
> > I finally was able to re-install the Quick Launch Bar. I ran IE4UNIT.EXE
> > and it worked!!
> > Thanks for your assistance and patience!!!
> > Best regards,
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> You still have something messed up.
> >>
> >> Reboot. And try Quick Launch again.
> >>
> >> Did you...paste the following commands one by one in the Start | Run box
> >> and click OK:
> >>
> >> REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL
> >>
> >> You'll see this message if it worked...
> >> DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in SHELL32.DLL succeeded.
> >>
> >> REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL
> >>
> >> You'll see this message if it worked...
> >> DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in BROWSEUI.DLL succeeded.
> >>
> >> Try Quick Launch again, if it doesn't work correctly, reboot and try
> >> again.
> >>
> >> If not, sometimes you have to unregister and then register a file. I
> >> don't know why.
> >>
> >> Paste the following commands one by one in the RUN dialog and click OK:
> >>
> >> REGSVR32 /u SHELL32.DLL
> >>
> >> You'll see this message if it worked...
> >> DllUnregisterServer in SHELL32.DLL succeeded.
> >>
> >> REGSVR32 /u BROWSEUI.DLL
> >>
> >> You'll see this message if it worked...
> >> DllUnregisterServer in BROWSEUI.DLL succeeded.
> >>
> >> Then repeat the...
> >> REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL
> >> and
> >> REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL
> >> commands.
> >>
> >> Try Quick Launch again, if it doesn't work correctly, reboot and try
> >> again.
> >>
> >> Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
> >> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:4BCA6E61-7B6C-4598-9E9E-3DBB99871967@microsoft.com,
> >> Kayman <Kayman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:12:52 PM

Duh. Never mind. Duh.

Glad to hear you things working. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User