Excel - document with same name already open ??

I must have broken it !?
If I click on any existing Excel file in "recent documents", excel loads -
then the file loads - then an error message is displayed that advises: - "A
document with the name [doc name] is already open. You cannot open ... ...
.... ". No - I didn't double click the doc name and it happens with ANY
document in the list of "recent documents". The same thing happens in
Windows Explorer (but here I have to double click). If I start Excel then
open an existing document there's no problem. So who can tell me what I've
done to upset this little applecart.
Allan

Try the Office newsgroups

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Allan Jeal" <allan_jeal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23lZOL5vpFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I must have broken it !?
> If I click on any existing Excel file in "recent documents", excel loads - then the file loads - then an error message is
> displayed that advises: - "A document with the name [doc name] is already open. You cannot open ... ... ... ". No - I didn't
> double click the doc name and it happens with ANY document in the list of "recent documents". The same thing happens in Windows
> Explorer (but here I have to double click). If I start Excel then open an existing document there's no problem. So who can tell me
> what I've done to upset this little applecart.
> Allan

Thanks Mark,
However I am confident that it is not a spyware problem (Pest Patrol
completely up to date). I did go to the link you suggested - but there did
not appear to be anything there relating to my Excel problem. I don't want
to install another spyware program on my notebook unless it is definately
needed.

I should have indicated in my first message that I have looked at the
Microsoft Help & Support Article ID : 200704. This seemed at first to be
relevant. However, I am using IE version:
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 and the workbook that I am opening
does not have ANY hyperlinks in it. So the article above has provided no
hints.

One thing that bothers me is that my Excel program is quite an old version -
Excel 97 - Is this a problem ?

I am using XP pro with service pack 2

I have also followed the instructions at this link:-
http://www.cambridgesoft.com/services/answers.cfm?PRID=469&FID=4&OS=1 but no
joy here either
Correction to original message: "However, if I start Excel first, then open

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try the Office newsgroups
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Allan Jeal" <allan_jeal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I must have broken it !?
>> If I click on any existing Excel file in "recent documents", excel
>> loads - then the file loads - then an error message is displayed that
>> advises: - "A document with the name [doc name] is already open. You
>> cannot open ... ... ... ". No - I didn't double click the doc name and it
>> happens with ANY document in the list of "recent documents". The same
>> thing happens in Windows Explorer (but here I have to double click). If I
>> start Excel then open an existing document there's no problem. So who can
>> tell me what I've done to upset this little applecart.
>> Allan

This is for Word/Office so give it a try if you have office. Office progs open up blank then open the doc via DDE. You may be opening the doc via command line then trying to open again via DDE.

Word's setup program can be used to repair Word's registry settings.

Use Start Menu, then Run and browse to Word's Startup program (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Setup) and add /r or /r /y to the end of the line.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Setup\Setup.exe /r /y

Switch Meaning
/r Reinstalls Word using the options of the last installation.
/y [Used with /r] Reinstalls Word using the options of the last installation without coping the files.

In Word 2000 choose Repair Word from the Help menu.

"Allan Jeal" <allan_jeal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uocf0RFqFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Mark,
> However I am confident that it is not a spyware problem (Pest Patrol
> completely up to date). I did go to the link you suggested - but there did
> not appear to be anything there relating to my Excel problem. I don't want
> to install another spyware program on my notebook unless it is definately
> needed.
>
> I should have indicated in my first message that I have looked at the
> Microsoft Help & Support Article ID : 200704. This seemed at first to be
> relevant. However, I am using IE version:
> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 and the workbook that I am opening
> does not have ANY hyperlinks in it. So the article above has provided no
> hints.
>
> One thing that bothers me is that my Excel program is quite an old version -
> Excel 97 - Is this a problem ?
>
> I am using XP pro with service pack 2
>
> I have also followed the instructions at this link:-
> http://www.cambridgesoft.com/services/answers.cfm?PRID=469&FID=4&OS=1 but no
> joy here either
> Correction to original message: "However, if I start Excel first, then open
> an existing document there's no problem"
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Try the Office newsgroups
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
>> "Allan Jeal" <allan_jeal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I must have broken it !?
>>> If I click on any existing Excel file in "recent documents", excel
>>> loads - then the file loads - then an error message is displayed that
>>> advises: - "A document with the name [doc name] is already open. You
>>> cannot open ... ... ... ". No - I didn't double click the doc name and it
>>> happens with ANY document in the list of "recent documents". The same
>>> thing happens in Windows Explorer (but here I have to double click). If I
>>> start Excel then open an existing document there's no problem. So who can
>>> tell me what I've done to upset this little applecart.
>>> Allan

Thanks for your input David.
I used "Repair Word" from the Help menu but it doesn't appear to have
changed anything (except that I had to verify my acceptance of the EULA
again).

I now recall that [some years ago] I only chose to install Word2000 from the
Office setup disks (I must have had Excel on the machine previously - can't
understand why I didn't install the newer version from Office). I cannot
locate a setup.exe anywhere under the Office folder ?? I did find the
Winword.exe file and ran that from the command line with /r /y options - but
nothing seemed to happen (very little disk activity then peace and quiet). I
am beginning to feel that this Excel problem relates to the partial
installation of Office. I am also now convinced that I would rather put up
with the problem - than the stress of trying to fix it.
Thanks for your input David

Latest posts