Bravosix

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2004
Hi, all:
I just bought a ASUS A7N8X board for about 2 months. And I guess the BIOS Flash Chip was damaged while I was updating the BIOS (since I've been having problem with that computer..I'd try to see if updating BIOS would help) using the ASUS update program that come with the motherboard. But after reading the discussions here about the ASUS tech support, I really begin to wonder what should I do? I bought the board in Taiwan and so sending it back to the retailer in Taiwan for repair won't be a option. However, if ASUS tech support is THIS bad, should I still try the ASUS tech support? (I just send an email, tho I wonder when I will get the reply from them). Does anyone has a good idea about what to do in my situation

Thanks for any suggestions...

johnnylange

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
I want to make some strong suggestions to everyone about updating the BIOS.

1. Don't ever update it unless you really have to!
2. Don't ever update it unless you really have to!
3. If you do have to update the BIOS, make sure you know what you're doing, read any and all documentation, and check to see if the manufacturer's website has a support forum so you can see if anyone is having problems with that particular BIOS version. (stay away from anything that has the word "beta" in them.)

mozer

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2004
Got my system made in May of '03... always little problems, few big ones at first, but finially it was all good... end of Jan. 04, system continues to reboot after windows load screen, fails to detect IDE connections or whatever, and many other things... took it to get it checked and everything tested fine, except for the mobo... the people that build my comp told me to contact ASSus for a replacment.. email went out and i got one back about 3-4 business days later, pretty much gave me a long list of things to try that might be causing my problem, which was all BS... so i sent another email and recieved a reply giving me a link to request an RMA.. did that and did not get a reply until 2 weeks later... although i am relieved that they are finally going to take it off my hands, i'm having doubts that anything will even be done with the mobo... i've heard complaints where Asus sent back the same board or a used board saying that it's fine... oh PLEASE ASSSUS get me back gaming soon!!!

...3 years later...

Asus Rep: Dear Motherboard User,
Because we have gone out of business for not having anything to do with our customers and being cheap as hell even though we were one of the leading mobo companies, we regret to inform u that we lost your mobo. In return we will pay u for your loss. Included is a check for $4.95... that should cover it....

so in conclusion, any suggestions for better mobo company while i wait for, well, nothing? lol

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, seeing as how you were the one to kill the mobo, I wouldn't expect a whole lot from ANY manufacturer. As your first post says, it died after a bad Flash.

In the future, I'd give you two guidelines:

1- Buy from a local or well-liked online merchant and pay close attention to their warrantee policy. That means you can get a new one in case it's not your fault, next time.

2- Buy a GigaByte mobo. They come with dual BIOS chips, so that even if you screw up the Flash, you're not out of a mobo/system while you reFlash the chip.

In the case of a bad Flash, most mobo manufacturers will charge you $25-$35 for a new chip and ship back the same board.

=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====

ego533

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
As one example, I returned a GeForce 3 card through the ASUS tech support and had a replacement card within 2 weeks from the first call. Admittedly, this problem was a fault of the product, but I've had nothing but good experiences with ASUS. It's no DELL support, but I've found it to be on par with most non service-based businesses.

Just as something to try: I know Gateway systems have a backup measure if the BIOS is damaged. If there is no POST program available, the motherboard will look for a floppy drive, and a disk in that drive. If the disk has a file with a certain extension, it tries to load that file into the BIOS chip.
There was no documetation for this at all, we just kind of figured it out when we noticed that the computer searched for a disk in the drive after a few seconds. I don't know if standard motherboards do this or not, just look to see if the floppy drive seeks after a minute or so of being turned on. Somone else may be able to say yea or nay on this.