[SOLVED] Do new dvi cables carry audio as well as video

Status
Not open for further replies.

anne2020

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I just bought a mac air. It has the new thunderbolt connector. I called the apple store to find out what connectors i needed to connect the Air to my new LG lv5700 tv, 4 hdmi inputs, wireless, lan direct connect, component video, etc etc. - no DVI connection.

Apple has only one adaptor for the Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt to DVI, I would then need to purchase a cable DVI to HDMI to connect my Air to my tv. I've read all the info about DVI not carrying audio. In fact I have a 6 year old macbook with which I have a mini DVI adapter to DVI, and a DVI to DVI cable to connect with my 6 year old Samsung TV. That provides the video, but then I also have to run audio out of my macbook's speaker output to the TV.

I called Apple Tech support and asked if the Thunderbolt output carried audio and video. They assured me it did. Why I asked do you only provide an adaptor Thunderbolt to DVI, and then a Cable DVI to HDMI when DVI doesn't carry audio? The reply was that the new DVI cables in fact carry audio and video.

Any Comment?

Anne

Solution

halcyon

Splendid

Unfortunately, the Apple tech support let you down. DVI does not carry audio. ...at all. That's actually one of the big reasons they released HDMI. Its basically a DVI cable that carries audio. Again, DVI does not carry audio. The Apple tech lied to you.

Solution

anne2020

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the confirmation. I went to Genius Bar here in Portland and had my problem solved. Seems Kanex makes a 3 meter (10 foot) mini display port (suitable to connect to the thunderbolt output on the Mac - but possibly not as "versatile or strong" as the thunderbolt - too techy for me) with an HDMI at the other end. While I'd like a longer cable this Kanex cable does the trick!!!! Get them while you can, from what I've been reading on the net the HDMI consortium does not consider this cable "legal". The only "legal" HDMI cable is HDMI to HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.