Problems with CD drive...

Mike

Splendid

Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up & the
disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on the
disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
Any suggestions?

Billh

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:52:41 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up & the
>disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
>double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on the
>disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
>original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
>swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
>I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
>Any suggestions?

Please see my earlier reply to a similar problem.

BiiH

gerry

BiiH,
if you don't feel like giving him an answer, just ignore the post.
Gerry

"BillH" <bill@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:52:41 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up &
>>the
>>disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
>>double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on
>>the
>>disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
>>original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
>>swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
>>I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
> Please see my earlier reply to a similar problem.
>
> BiiH

Mike

Splendid

"BillH" <bill@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:52:41 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up &
>>the
>>disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
>>double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on
>>the
>>disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
>>original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
>>swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
>>I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
> Please see my earlier reply to a similar problem.
>
> BiiH

When?
Where?

Billh

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:18:23 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"BillH" <bill@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:52:41 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up &
>>>the
>>>disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
>>>double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on
>>>the
>>>disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
>>>original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
>>>swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
>>>I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>
>> Please see my earlier reply to a similar problem.
>>
>> BiiH
>
>When?
>Where?

Apparently this is a bug in SP2, microsoft says wait until SP3 comes
out. See Microsoft Article KB883523.

There is a pack of Hotfixes at http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html
, although i have not tried it so I dont know how well it works

BillH