Dimension XPS 5: Serial and Parallel ports?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 18, 2005 2:23:47 AM

I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(

1. Serial port: there's a 'Serial Port Adapter' that can be bought with the
computer. From the documentation on the Dell site, apparently this hooks up
to a connector on the motherboard.

Is this a full-featured serial port, with all the standard UART registers,
buffers, etc., or just a basic adapter and not a 'real' serial port?

I need this to connect my external modem (my backup for when DSL is down).

2. Parallel port: I don't see any type of adapters for adding a parallel
port on Dell's web site.

I do see USB-to-parallel adapter cables available on other mail order sites.

How well do these adapter cables work? Are there any functional
differences, or are they all about the same?

Just need the parallel port for a dot-matrix printer. (Yes, I know it's old
technology; but it's more than adequate for my needs.)

Still searching Dell's web site, but haven't found anything to clear this up
yet.

Thanks!

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
June 18, 2005 2:23:48 AM

I think you should get a dimension 3000 so your
older equipment wont get jealous.
Just kidding....
Have a nice weekend...
Dave
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:12:58 AM

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message news:i4i6b1ldsjt6pscnsgctgiqfv7gtv5n787@4ax.com...

> I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
> doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(

Interesting, I didn't know that. Looks like the 9100 lacks them as well.

> 1. Serial port: there's a 'Serial Port Adapter' that can be bought with the
> computer. From the documentation on the Dell site, apparently this hooks up
> to a connector on the motherboard.
>
> Is this a full-featured serial port, with all the standard UART registers,
> buffers, etc., or just a basic adapter and not a 'real' serial port?

The fact that they sell an adapter and the MB header is labelled SERIAL2
sounds promising to me. However, the MB diagram in the Users Guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/...

seems to show a header that is populated with fewer than 9 pins and I
don't know whatsup with that.

> I need this to connect my external modem (my backup for when DSL is down).
>
> 2. Parallel port: I don't see any type of adapters for adding a parallel
> port on Dell's web site.
>
> I do see USB-to-parallel adapter cables available on other mail order sites.
>
> How well do these adapter cables work? Are there any functional
> differences, or are they all about the same?

There are USB<->Serial adapters and USB<->Parallel adapters. I've
never had a need for one but I've known a few people who used them
successfully [from Windows XP]. Assuming you have the appropriate
USB ports and OS support, you could grab one or both from a local
store (easy returns) and take them for a spin before you settle on a new
box.
June 18, 2005 4:47:57 AM

It's kind of surprising if you want this top-of-the-line leading-edge PC and
at the same time need to preserve low-level compatibility with relatively
obsolete hardware that could also be updated. It seems likely that either a
USB port or a new USB modem and printer (or Dell's internal modem) would
solve your problem at small cost.

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
> doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(
>
> 1. Serial port: there's a 'Serial Port Adapter' that can be bought with
> the
> computer. From the documentation on the Dell site, apparently this hooks
> up
> to a connector on the motherboard.
>
> Is this a full-featured serial port, with all the standard UART registers,
> buffers, etc., or just a basic adapter and not a 'real' serial port?
>
> I need this to connect my external modem (my backup for when DSL is down).
>
> 2. Parallel port: I don't see any type of adapters for adding a parallel
> port on Dell's web site.
>
> I do see USB-to-parallel adapter cables available on other mail order
> sites.
>
> How well do these adapter cables work? Are there any functional
> differences, or are they all about the same?
>
> Just need the parallel port for a dot-matrix printer. (Yes, I know it's
> old
> technology; but it's more than adequate for my needs.)

> Still searching Dell's web site, but haven't found anything to clear this
> up
> yet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>
> "Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
June 18, 2005 6:07:48 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:47:57 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Talkin Horse"
<davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:

>It's kind of surprising if you want this top-of-the-line leading-edge PC and
>at the same time need to preserve low-level compatibility with relatively
>obsolete hardware that could also be updated. It seems likely that either a
>USB port or a new USB modem and printer (or Dell's internal modem) would
>solve your problem at small cost.

A brand-new modem will give me ZERO performance improvement over my current
modem. So if a $5 adapter is all I need to make my current modem work, why
on earth would I want to buy a new one?

And a new printer might be faster than my current one, but for my use that
extra speed would make almost no difference at all. So if an inexpensive
adapter cable is all I need, why should I bother with a new printer?

Just because I'm getting a fancy new computer doesn't mean I need to replace
everything that hooks up to it with a fancy new version.

The only reason I asked about the adapter cables is because of a recent
thread here discussing problems with USB-to-serial adapters, where a few
posts mentioned problems causes by poor emulation of standard UART
functions.

I'm asking if anybody knows if the Serial Adapter for the XPS 5 avoids those
problems, and I'm asking about the USB-to-parallel adapters because I have
no experience with those.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

1. Spammers lie.
2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
the truth, please refer to rule number 1.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:55:03 PM

> A brand-new modem will give me ZERO performance improvement over my
> current
> modem. So if a $5 adapter is all I need to make my current modem work,
> why
> on earth would I want to buy a new one?
>
> And a new printer might be faster than my current one, but for my use that
> extra speed would make almost no difference at all. So if an inexpensive
> adapter cable is all I need, why should I bother with a new printer?
>
> Just because I'm getting a fancy new computer doesn't mean I need to
> replace
> everything that hooks up to it with a fancy new version.

Personally, I prefer to use anything I own until it falls apart, and I feel
sinful if I put working equipment on the junk pile. But with PC peripherals,
I'll make an exception, because it often requires more resources to continue
to use the old stuff than it does to discard them and buy new. Dell will
include an internal modem for $20 extra; for that amount of money, it simply
isn't worth my time to struggle with drivers and whatnot for ancient
equipment. I had a friend who insisted on struggling with her old SCSI
scanner; she ended up buying a PCI SCSI card, and still couldn't get the
thing to work on a new PC, having wasted time and money. Ditto for low-end
printers, which are close to free. In fact, this week the cheap Dell
printers *are* free (although I hesitate to buy Dell printers 'cause then
you've got to buy cartridges from Dell). So unless you get a special
pleasure from attaching ancient peripherals, you'd do well to give away your
old printer and modem. That's my humble opinion, for what it's worth.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:42:00 AM

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
>> doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(
>
> Interesting, I didn't know that. Looks like the 9100 lacks them as well.

BTX is 'legacy free' so any BTX based machine will not have serial or
paralell ports.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:05:56 PM

"Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message news:cpnte.10851$1q5.5013@trnddc02...

> BTX is 'legacy free' so any BTX based machine will not have serial or
> paralell ports.

Well for starters, what do you make of the Dimension 5000, the Precision
380, the OptiPlex GX280, and Gateway 9310?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:08:32 PM

I'm using a USB./Parallel cable on my older
HP printer off a USB port. Works just fine.
I agree with you about not replacing things
if it's not necessary.

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
> doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(
>
> 1. Serial port: there's a 'Serial Port Adapter' that can be bought
> with the
> computer. From the documentation on the Dell site, apparently this
> hooks up
> to a connector on the motherboard.
>
> Is this a full-featured serial port, with all the standard UART
> registers,
> buffers, etc., or just a basic adapter and not a 'real' serial port?
>
> I need this to connect my external modem (my backup for when DSL is
> down).
>
> 2. Parallel port: I don't see any type of adapters for adding a
> parallel
> port on Dell's web site.
>
> I do see USB-to-parallel adapter cables available on other mail order
> sites.
>
> How well do these adapter cables work? Are there any functional
> differences, or are they all about the same?
>
> Just need the parallel port for a dot-matrix printer. (Yes, I know
> it's old
> technology; but it's more than adequate for my needs.)

> Still searching Dell's web site, but haven't found anything to clear
> this up
> yet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>
> "Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:39:57 PM

> "Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> BTX is 'legacy free' so any BTX based machine will not have serial or
>> paralell ports.
>
> Well for starters, what do you make of the Dimension 5000, the Precision
> 380, the OptiPlex GX280, and Gateway 9310?

What's the question?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:39:58 PM

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:xjCte.95163$VH2.42086@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> BTX is 'legacy free' so any BTX based machine will not have serial or
>>> paralell ports.
>>
>> Well for starters, what do you make of the Dimension 5000, the Precision
>> 380, the OptiPlex GX280, and Gateway 9310?
>
> What's the question?

Whether all BTX based machines lack serial and parallel ports.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:59:52 PM

>> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> Well for starters, what do you make of the Dimension 5000, the Precision
>>> 380, the OptiPlex GX280, and Gateway 9310?
>>
>> What's the question?
>
> Whether all BTX based machines lack serial and parallel ports.

The Dimension 5000 is BTX based? I did not believe it really was.

Tom
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:59:53 PM

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:cCCte.145522$IO.95663@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> The Dimension 5000 is BTX based? I did not believe it really was.

It looks like a BTX type layout to me. But having said that, it may
very well be that it doesn't adhere to some aspect(s) of the BTX
specifications or it may actually fall into the micro BTX category
and thus more properly be referred to as a microBTX based box.
What do you think it is?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...
http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/Presentati...
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:59:54 PM

>> The Dimension 5000 is BTX based? I did not believe it really was.
>
> It looks like a BTX type layout to me. But having said that, it may
> very well be that it doesn't adhere to some aspect(s) of the BTX
> specifications or it may actually fall into the micro BTX category
> and thus more properly be referred to as a microBTX based box.
> What do you think it is?
>
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...
> http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/Presentati...

From what little I've read of the 5000, it appears to be a new case with the
guts of a Dimension 4700 tossed in. If that's the case, then the power
supply is designed for BTX, but the remainder of the guts are of the old ATX
design.

Since (I believe) the 5000 is a UK only machine (?), purely speculation on
my part. I've not touched one of the beasts....

Stew
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:38:45 PM

I spoke to soon and incorrectly. My understanding is that BTX is supposed to
be legacy free and a system fully compliant with the standard will lack
serial and paralell ports. I may be wrong on that point, but I know they
have been trying to get rid of those ports for years. Many laptops don't
have them anymore. My Abit AN8 does not have them either.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> BTX is 'legacy free' so any BTX based machine will not have serial or
>> paralell ports.
>
> Well for starters, what do you make of the Dimension 5000, the Precision
> 380, the OptiPlex GX280, and Gateway 9310?
June 20, 2005 11:18:38 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:08:32 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Pen"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm using a USB./Parallel cable on my older
>HP printer off a USB port. Works just fine.
>I agree with you about not replacing things
>if it's not necessary.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for: a response from somebody who'd
actually used one of these adapters. :)

From my digging over the weekend, it looks like USB/Parallel adapters are
pretty generic: most seem to provide a standard Centronics parallel port
meeting the IEEE specifications.

So it seems hooking up my current printer to my new computer won't be any
problem.

I haven't received any comments on the XPS 5 serial port adapter (tried Dell
chat and got an error message), but that's not critical. I have DSL now, so
the modem's just a backup. I expect the serial adapter will work, but if it
doesn't I can sort that out after I get the computer.

For those who think I should buy a new modem and printer, instead of just
cables:

A new modem and new printer comparable to the ones I already have would cost
in the neighborhood of ten times as much as buying just the cables, and
would give me no practical benefit other than the new cable types.

So I think I'll just get the cables...

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:18:39 PM

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:08:32 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Pen"
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

> For those who think I should buy a new modem and printer, instead of just
> cables:
>
> A new modem and new printer comparable to the ones I already have would
> cost
> in the neighborhood of ten times as much as buying just the cables, and
> would give me no practical benefit other than the new cable types.
>
> So I think I'll just get the cables...
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>
> TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.

Nothing wrong with hanging on to them Nick. I will say that I frequently
pick up quality (used) 3Com USR Hardware PCI internal modems for around $15
including shipping. They're bullet-proof. (I also have an old Motorola 56k
VoiceSurfr external that is rock-solid ;-)

Stew
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:50:06 AM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:HOEte.115211$lQ3.81652@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...
>> http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/Presentati...

> From what little I've read of the 5000, it appears to be a new case with the
> guts of a Dimension 4700 tossed in. If that's the case, then the power
> supply is designed for BTX, but the remainder of the guts are of the old ATX
> design.

I don't think any amount of twisting in a puzzle solving like manner
could turn a 4700 MB into the MB shown at those sites I linked to.
But then I'm not the world's best puzzle solver.

> Since (I believe) the 5000 is a UK only machine (?), purely speculation on
> my part. I've not touched one of the beasts....

Going to www.euro.dell.com and checking a few countries, it appears
that the Dimension 5000 is available in at least several European countries.
I checked a couple of Asian countries but didn't see it listed. However, I
did come across a 5100 in Korea:

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=kr&l=en&...

and a 5100C in Japan:

http://www1.jp.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

8-)
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:50:07 AM

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...
>>> http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/Presentati...
>
>> From what little I've read of the 5000, it appears to be a new case with
>> the guts of a Dimension 4700 tossed in. If that's the case, then the
>> power supply is designed for BTX, but the remainder of the guts are of
>> the old ATX design.
>
> I don't think any amount of twisting in a puzzle solving like manner could
> turn a 4700 MB into the MB shown at those sites I linked to.
> But then I'm not the world's best puzzle solver.

Checking that UK link, the 5000 is indeed an Intel 915 based system like the
Dimension 4700, but again in a different case:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...

However, the board appears to be a BTX design, one dead giveaway being the
CPU socket position on the motherboard:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/e...

So yeah, it looks as though the 5000 is most likely BTX true and through.

Stew
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:12:41 PM

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:1JednVyJtIkEmCrfRVn-hA@comcast.com...

> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:cCCte.145522$IO.95663@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>> The Dimension 5000 is BTX based? I did not believe it really was.
>
> It looks like a BTX type layout to me. But having said that, it may
> very well be that it doesn't adhere to some aspect(s) of the BTX
> specifications []

Minor side note on the subject of Dell BTX compatability ... I haven't
found open chassis pics of the 9100 (if anyone else has, please share),
but based on some diagrams from the system docs:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/e...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/e...

it appears similar to the Precision 380, and there is a zoomable open
chassis view of that available:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

Both appear to utilize (and require, at least if you want to maintain the
same number of expansion slots) a notched MB which doesn't adhere
to BTX specifications AFAICT.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:12:42 PM

> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> The Dimension 5000 is BTX based? I did not believe it really was.
>>
>> It looks like a BTX type layout to me. But having said that, it may
>> very well be that it doesn't adhere to some aspect(s) of the BTX
>> specifications []
>
> Minor side note on the subject of Dell BTX compatability ... I haven't
> found open chassis pics of the 9100 (if anyone else has, please share),
> but based on some diagrams from the system docs:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/e...
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/e...
>
> it appears similar to the Precision 380, and there is a zoomable open
> chassis view of that available:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>
> Both appear to utilize (and require, at least if you want to maintain the
> same number of expansion slots) a notched MB which doesn't adhere
> to BTX specifications AFAICT.

Can you be more specific about "notched MB"? I've actually seen a couple of
9100's (side cover off), but I've not had one to play with as of yet. Given
the emphasis on ventilation, the incredibly over-sized CPU fan and it's
position and the relation of other components I'd thought the 9100 to surely
be BTX.....

(Not sure if that means it meets *all* of the BTX specs/standards
though....)

Stew

Stew
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:04:41 AM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:_oZte.113152$8S5.82485@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

[Re Precision 830 and Dimension 9100]

>> Both appear to utilize (and require, at least if you want to maintain the
>> same number of expansion slots) a notched MB which doesn't adhere
>> to BTX specifications AFAICT.
>
> Can you be more specific about "notched MB"? I've actually seen a couple of
> 9100's (side cover off), but I've not had one to play with as of yet.

And you didn't send us some picture postcards ?!? Whimper.

I was merely referring to the shape of the MBs. The one corner is notched
out to provide clearance for the inner HD. It appears to me that the MBs
exceed the allowable size of micro BTX boards, and because of the
notching, lack a required mounting hole and clearance for full/standard
sized BTX boards. For reference...

http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=12&CatID=1

> Given [] the incredibly over-sized CPU fan

What size fan would that be?

> and it's position and the relation of other components I'd thought the
> 9100 to surely be BTX.....
>
> (Not sure if that means it meets *all* of the BTX specs/standards
> though....)

I think it is reasonable to call it a BTX box. I was just having a look at
the HD mounting/cooling arrangement and noticed the notch and got to
thinking about it. Figured I'd mention it.

Speaking of cooling, I see what appears to be vents at the bottom of the
removable side panel on the 9100 (also on the Precision 380). Having
seen one, or perhaps both, of those boxes... what do you make of those?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:49:41 PM

Oh yes, those are solid.
Can I ask where do you pick up these?

Thanks, jim
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:54:32 PM

> Nothing wrong with hanging on to them Nick. I will say that I frequently
> pick up quality (used) 3Com USR Hardware PCI internal modems for around $15
> including shipping. They're bullet-proof. (I also have an old Motorola 56k
> VoiceSurfr external that is rock-solid ;-)

Oh yes, those are solid.
Can I ask where do you pick up these?

Thanks, jim
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:56:34 AM

"jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nothing wrong with hanging on to them Nick. I will say that I frequently
>> pick up quality (used) 3Com USR Hardware PCI internal modems for around
>> $15
>> including shipping. They're bullet-proof. (I also have an old Motorola
>> 56k
>> VoiceSurfr external that is rock-solid ;-)
>
> Oh yes, those are solid.
> Can I ask where do you pick up these?
>
> Thanks, jim

I frequently purchase the 3Com/USR internals off ebay. The Motorola I
purchased new back in the mid-90's, though I'm sure some are available at
auction as well....

Stew
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:30:55 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Nothing wrong with hanging on to them Nick. I will say that I frequently
> >> pick up quality (used) 3Com USR Hardware PCI internal modems for around
> >> $15
> >> including shipping. They're bullet-proof. (I also have an old Motorola
> >> 56k
> >> VoiceSurfr external that is rock-solid ;-)
> >
> > Oh yes, those are solid.
> > Can I ask where do you pick up these?
> >
> > Thanks, jim
> >

> I frequently purchase the 3Com/USR internals off ebay. The Motorola I
> purchased new back in the mid-90's, though I'm sure some are available at
> auction as well....
>

> Stew

Thanks stew

jim
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:15:39 AM

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >
>> > Oh yes, those are solid.
>> > Can I ask where do you pick up these?
>> >
>> > Thanks, jim
>> >

>> I frequently purchase the 3Com/USR internals off ebay. The Motorola I
>> purchased new back in the mid-90's, though I'm sure some are available at
>> auction as well....
>>

>> Stew
>
> Thanks stew
>
> jim

http://search.ebay.com/3Com-USR-hardware-PCI-modem_W0QQ...

Glad to help.

Stew
June 24, 2005 2:22:24 AM

I run an older HP LaserJet from a USB-to-parallel cable and find it runs
MUCH faster. You can pick up an inexpensive USB-serial or parallel cable
from eBay. Don't bother spending lots for something simple.

The only problem you may run into is if you do not plug the USB cable into
the same USB port each time - if not you will need to set up the printer for
each USB port you use (no big deal but I have the printer set up one all
four USB ports on my i8600 and switch between one or the other as default
printer as needed.)

"> 2. Parallel port: I don't see any type of adapters for adding a parallel
> port on Dell's web site.
>
> I do see USB-to-parallel adapter cables available on other mail order
> sites.
>
> How well do these adapter cables work? Are there any functional
> differences, or are they all about the same?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:16:58 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > S.Lewis wrote:
> >> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >> message

> >> I frequently purchase the 3Com/USR internals off ebay. The Motorola I
> >> purchased new back in the mid-90's, though I'm sure some are available at
> >> auction as well....
> >>

> >> Stew
> >
> > Thanks stew
> >
> > jim
> >

> http://search.ebay.com/3Com-USR-hardware-PCI-modem_W0QQ...
>

> Glad to help.
>

> Stew

stew, do you know of any of any differences between the 5610a and the
5610b models? I'm looking on the USR site
http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
and
http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
but can't seem to find something.

thanks, jim
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:56:21 AM

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message

>> > Thanks stew
>> >
>> > jim
>> >

>> http://search.ebay.com/3Com-USR-hardware-PCI-modem_W0QQ...
>>

>> Glad to help.
>>

>> Stew
>
> stew, do you know of any of any differences between the 5610a and the
> 5610b models? I'm looking on the USR site
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
> and
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
> but can't seem to find something.
>
> thanks, jim

No, Jim, I do not. These modems are generally pretty pricey retail/new, so
I've never bought one unused. (They used to run from $49 to $80 depending on
where purchased).

Again, I've just spotted and purchased 4-5 used 3Coms (3 of them were OEM
Dell modems) from ebay for no more than $20. I've been lucky and have not
had any problems to date with any of them.

Read the user's guides (via the links you've posted) and compare the
specs/features of the modems - perhaps you'll find the answer, or perhaps
the "B" model is merely a card revision with few changes in features.

Stew
June 26, 2005 4:20:05 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:23:47 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Nick
<tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>I'm thinking about moving up to a Dim. XPS 5, and just noticed that it
>doesn't come with a serial or parallel port. :(

<snip a bunch>

Well, I just hooked my printer to my current computer with a USB to parallel
adapter cable, and then printed out a test page successfully. So that seems
to be fine.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday, when my new toy arrives, to see how
the serial port adapter works with my Courier external modem. I'm hoping
for no problems with that either, but I haven't seen any comments here about
that adapter.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:29:27 PM

> > stew, do you know of any of any differences between the 5610a and the
> > 5610b models? I'm looking on the USR site
> > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
> > and
> > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
> > but can't seem to find something.
> >
> > thanks, jim

hi stew,

> No, Jim, I do not. These modems are generally pretty pricey retail/new, so
> I've never bought one unused. (They used to run from $49 to $80 depending on
> where purchased).
>
> Again, I've just spotted and purchased 4-5 used 3Coms (3 of them were OEM
> Dell modems) from ebay for no more than $20. I've been lucky and have not
> had any problems to date with any of them.

the Dell OEM is the 3CP2977 model right?

I imagine the other two are the retail model

> Read the user's guides (via the links you've posted) and compare the
> specs/features of the modems - perhaps you'll find the answer, or perhaps
> the "B" model is merely a card revision with few changes in features.

I looked but I didn't find anything in those pages.
As you said I imagine the 'B' is a revision with few if any changes

> Stew

thanks stew, jim
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:08:16 AM

>> > stew, do you know of any of any differences between the 5610a and the
>> > 5610b models? I'm looking on the USR site
>> > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
>> > and
>> > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=56...
>> > but can't seem to find something.
>> >
>> > thanks, jim
>> >

> hi stew,
>
>> No, Jim, I do not. These modems are generally pretty pricey retail/new,
>> so
>> I've never bought one unused. (They used to run from $49 to $80 depending
>> on
>> where purchased).
>>
>> Again, I've just spotted and purchased 4-5 used 3Coms (3 of them were OEM
>> Dell modems) from ebay for no more than $20. I've been lucky and have
>> not
>> had any problems to date with any of them.
>
> the Dell OEM is the 3CP2977 model right?
>
> I imagine the other two are the retail model
>
>> Read the user's guides (via the links you've posted) and compare the
>> specs/features of the modems - perhaps you'll find the answer, or perhaps
>> the "B" model is merely a card revision with few changes in features.
>
> I looked but I didn't find anything in those pages.
> As you said I imagine the 'B' is a revision with few if any changes
>
>> Stew
>
> thanks stew, jim

Jim -

The last (to my knowledge) Dell OEM 3Com/USR 56k/V90 hardware PCI internal
was Dell part : 19YRD.

In fact, the last card I snagged on ebay was that exact part number.

You might also reference via google: "3Com 'Python' modem" and get some
info.

I'd give you the part numbers of the others I picked up, but they're all
gone and in use :-)

Stew
June 28, 2005 6:20:52 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:20:05 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Nick
<tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>Guess I'll have to wait until Monday, when my new toy arrives, to see how
>the serial port adapter works with my Courier external modem. I'm hoping
>for no problems with that either, but I haven't seen any comments here about
>that adapter.

Serial port adapter works fine: no fuss, no muss. :)

(I won't mention my problems finding the 'Any Key' when I needed it to get
past one of the initial boot up screens on the new computer. Two computers,
two keyboards, and one monitor all on one rather crowded desk. I'm sure
everybody can figure out for themselves which keyboard I was beating on
until my brain finally kicked in...)

Also, figure I'll mention that the XPS 5 (with two 160 Gig drives) doesn't
seem any louder than my Dim 8100; in fact, it might be a little quieter.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

(Sig stolen from the "Organization of Paranoid Anarchists For A Better
World Filled With Peace and Harmony And Free Lunches For All Coming Real
Soon Now".)
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:09:27 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > hi stew,
> >
> >> No, Jim, I do not. These modems are generally pretty pricey retail/new,
> >> so
> >> I've never bought one unused. (They used to run from $49 to $80 depending
> >> on
> >> where purchased).
> >>
> >> Again, I've just spotted and purchased 4-5 used 3Coms (3 of them were OEM
> >> Dell modems) from ebay for no more than $20. I've been lucky and have
> >> not
> >> had any problems to date with any of them.
> >
> > the Dell OEM is the 3CP2977 model right?
> >
> > I imagine the other two are the retail model
> >
> >> Read the user's guides (via the links you've posted) and compare the
> >> specs/features of the modems - perhaps you'll find the answer, or perhaps
> >> the "B" model is merely a card revision with few changes in features.
> >
> > I looked but I didn't find anything in those pages.
> > As you said I imagine the 'B' is a revision with few if any changes
> >
> >> Stew
> >
> > thanks stew, jim
> >

> Jim -
>
> The last (to my knowledge) Dell OEM 3Com/USR 56k/V90 hardware PCI internal
> was Dell part : 19YRD.
>
> In fact, the last card I snagged on ebay was that exact part number.
>
> You might also reference via google: "3Com 'Python' modem" and get some
> info.
>
> I'd give you the part numbers of the others I picked up, but they're all
> gone and in use :-)

hi stew, that's nothing to worry about
your help is much appreciated
I don't see any 19yrd on ebay now but
I suspect the 3CP2977 would be fine?

thanks, jim

> Stew
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:30:45 AM

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message

>> > hi stew,

>> > the Dell OEM is the 3CP2977 model right?
>> >
>> > I imagine the other two are the retail model

>> > I looked but I didn't find anything in those pages.
>> > As you said I imagine the 'B' is a revision with few if any changes

>> > thanks stew, jim
>> >

>> Jim -
>>
>> The last (to my knowledge) Dell OEM 3Com/USR 56k/V90 hardware PCI
>> internal
>> was Dell part : 19YRD.
>>
>> In fact, the last card I snagged on ebay was that exact part number.
>>
>> You might also reference via google: "3Com 'Python' modem" and get some
>> info.
>>
>> I'd give you the part numbers of the others I picked up, but they're all
>> gone and in use :-)
>
> hi stew, that's nothing to worry about
> your help is much appreciated
> I don't see any 19yrd on ebay now but
> I suspect the 3CP2977 would be fine?
>
> thanks, jim
>
>> Stew

Jim,

Though I wasn't familiar with that reference #, a google search confirmed
that it is indeed a hardware controller modem. It should be fine.

http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?c=17&s=94&ID=10...

By the way, I no longer have the 19YRD. It went out today in a system to
someone. I installed it, let WinXP throw native drivers at it, and it
promptly connected at 48kbps :)

Stew
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:09:53 PM

> >> Jim -
> >>
> >> The last (to my knowledge) Dell OEM 3Com/USR 56k/V90 hardware PCI
> >> internal
> >> was Dell part : 19YRD.
> >>
> >> In fact, the last card I snagged on ebay was that exact part number.
> >>
> >> You might also reference via google: "3Com 'Python' modem" and get some
> >> info.
> >>
> >> I'd give you the part numbers of the others I picked up, but they're all
> >> gone and in use :-)
> >
> > hi stew, that's nothing to worry about
> > your help is much appreciated
> > I don't see any 19yrd on ebay now but
> > I suspect the 3CP2977 would be fine?
> >
> > thanks, jim
> >
> >> Stew
> >

> Jim,
>
> Though I wasn't familiar with that reference #, a google search confirmed
> that it is indeed a hardware controller modem. It should be fine.
>
> http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?c=17&s=94&ID=10...

yes, thanks

> By the way, I no longer have the 19YRD. It went out today in a system to
> someone. I installed it, let WinXP throw native drivers at it, and it
> promptly connected at 48kbps :)

they keep going and going!

> Stew

oh btw,
I'm thinking on buying a dell laptop (inspiron/latitude)
do you know if I can put the usr in it or do I need a different type?
If so, I hope usr makes it!

thanks stew, jim
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:26:43 PM

>> > hi stew, that's nothing to worry about
>> > your help is much appreciated
>> > I don't see any 19yrd on ebay now but
>> > I suspect the 3CP2977 would be fine?
>> >
>> > thanks, jim

>> Jim,
>>
>> Though I wasn't familiar with that reference #, a google search
>> confirmed
>> that it is indeed a hardware controller modem. It should be fine.
>>
>> http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?c=17&s=94&ID=10...
>
> yes, thanks
>
>> By the way, I no longer have the 19YRD. It went out today in a system to
>> someone. I installed it, let WinXP throw native drivers at it, and it
>> promptly connected at 48kbps :)
>
> they keep going and going!
>
>> Stew
>
> oh btw,
> I'm thinking on buying a dell laptop (inspiron/latitude)
> do you know if I can put the usr in it or do I need a different type?
> If so, I hope usr makes it!
>
> thanks stew, jim

Jim,

Most of the recent units have an internal/integrated modem. The only
notebook PC(MCIA) modem I have here is a Xircom RealPort combo card, which
has the NIC and modem in the same card.

The reason for that is my much older CPxJ has neither integrated.

If you get a Latitude or Inspiron (new), the modem will be integrated.

Stew
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:25:23 PM

> > oh btw,
> > I'm thinking on buying a dell laptop (inspiron/latitude)
> > do you know if I can put the usr in it or do I need a different type?
> > If so, I hope usr makes it!
> >
> > thanks stew, jim
> >

> Jim,
>
> Most of the recent units have an internal/integrated modem. The only
> notebook PC(MCIA) modem I have here is a Xircom RealPort combo card, which
> has the NIC and modem in the same card.
>
> The reason for that is my much older CPxJ has neither integrated.
>
> If you get a Latitude or Inspiron (new), the modem will be integrated.
>

> Stew

thanks stew, appreciate all the help

jim
!