Please clarify Wi Fi use

Would Wi Fi work for me to connect a WiFi pda to a WiFi laptop and printing
documents out on a WiFi capable printer on a remote site away from any
network (internet access is not needed - the primary intent is to generate
and print on-site reports)

Or, would I need to buy a wireless router to receive and process all these
signals to the various devices ? I guess creating my own local network ?

thanks
Joe
5 answers Last reply
More about please clarify

    >Would Wi Fi work for me to connect a WiFi pda to a WiFi laptop and printing
    >documents out on a WiFi capable printer on a remote site away from any
    >network (internet access is not needed - the primary intent is to generate
    >and print on-site reports)

    Yes.

    >Or, would I need to buy a wireless router to receive and process all these
    >signals to the various devices ? I guess creating my own local network ?
    >
    >thanks
    >Joe

    The wirelass AP/router shares the internet conection and acts as a
    firewall. If your not sharing internet then you just setup the devices
    to see each other in Ad-Hoc mode, where no AP is needed. You can
    expect about 30% faster transfers in that mode.

    AP's are very cheap now. Just got one .11G with router and a PC card
    for $60(Compusa.com).

    "Joe" <joewho?@where?.com> wrote in news:3jQtc.96$ig5.81@edtnps89:

    > Would Wi Fi work for me to connect a WiFi pda to a WiFi laptop and
    > printing documents out on a WiFi capable printer on a remote site
    > away from any network (internet access is not needed

    WiFi is wireless networking technology... think of it as Wireless Ethernet.

    If you need a wireless interconnect technology like "wireless"
    USB/Serial/Parallel then go bluetooth instead.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    The need for a router and the need for an access point are two separate
    issues. Without an Internet connection there is clearly no need for a
    router.

    An ad hoc network (one without an access point) requires that all
    communicating clients be within range of each other. Using an access point
    could allow two devices to communicate even though they're out of range of
    each other, as long as they are in range of the access point.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "AndrewJ" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    > >Would Wi Fi work for me to connect a WiFi pda to a WiFi laptop and
    printing
    > >documents out on a WiFi capable printer on a remote site away from any
    > >network (internet access is not needed - the primary intent is to
    generate
    > >and print on-site reports)
    >
    > Yes.
    >

    > >Or, would I need to buy a wireless router to receive and process all
    these
    > >signals to the various devices ? I guess creating my own local network
    ?

    > >thanks
    > >Joe
    > >
    > The wirelass AP/router shares the internet conection and acts as a
    > firewall. If your not sharing internet then you just setup the devices
    > to see each other in Ad-Hoc mode, where no AP is needed. You can
    > expect about 30% faster transfers in that mode.
    >
    > AP's are very cheap now. Just got one .11G with router and a PC card
    > for $60(Compusa.com).

    curious,
    Having not fiddled here with adhoc except laptop to one singular device on
    occasion...
    Will adhoc do a group connection with three or more adhoc devices
    symmetrically - without the need to manually intervene and disconnect from
    one and then reconnect to another?

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > The need for a router and the need for an access point are two separate
    > issues. Without an Internet connection there is clearly no need for a
    > router.
    >
    > An ad hoc network (one without an access point) requires that all
    > communicating clients be within range of each other. Using an access
    point
    > could allow two devices to communicate even though they're out of range of
    > each other, as long as they are in range of the access point.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "AndrewJ" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message
    > >
    > > >Would Wi Fi work for me to connect a WiFi pda to a WiFi laptop and
    > printing
    > > >documents out on a WiFi capable printer on a remote site away from any
    > > >network (internet access is not needed - the primary intent is to
    > generate
    > > >and print on-site reports)
    > >
    > > Yes.
    > >

    > > >Or, would I need to buy a wireless router to receive and process all
    > these
    > > >signals to the various devices ? I guess creating my own local
    network
    > ?
    > > >
    > > >thanks
    > > >Joe
    > > >
    > > The wirelass AP/router shares the internet conection and acts as a
    > > firewall. If your not sharing internet then you just setup the devices
    > > to see each other in Ad-Hoc mode, where no AP is needed. You can
    > > expect about 30% faster transfers in that mode.
    > >
    > > AP's are very cheap now. Just got one .11G with router and a PC card
    > > for $60(Compusa.com).

    Yes, an ad hoc network can connect more than 2 stations simultaneously, and
    without an access point. The restriction is that two stations must be
    within range of each other to communicate, not just within range of an
    access point like in infrastructure mode.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

WiFi Wireless Networking