XP Home Ed (hal.dll file is missing or corrupt) Error at b..

I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like there
are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load and
the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility that
HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to run
the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of utility
disk? Or any other way??
Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck
3 answers Last reply
More about home file missing corrupt error

    This message doesn't necessarily mean that the "hal.dll" file is indeed
    missing or corrupt. You often get this error message when there is an
    incorrect line in the "boot.ini" file.

    "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like
    >there
    > are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load
    > and
    > the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility
    > that
    > HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to
    > run
    > the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
    > want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of
    > utility
    > disk? Or any other way??
    > Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

    Any suggestions on how to fix the boot.ini file?

    "Michael Seidner" wrote:

    > This message doesn't necessarily mean that the "hal.dll" file is indeed
    > missing or corrupt. You often get this error message when there is an
    > incorrect line in the "boot.ini" file.
    >

    > "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like
    > >there
    > > are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load
    > > and
    > > the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility
    > > that
    > > HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to
    > > run
    > > the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
    > > want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of
    > > utility
    > > disk? Or any other way??
    > > Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

    The method you use depends on whether or not you can start windows. It's
    fairly easy to edit the "boot.ini" file from within Windows (either normal
    or safe mode). If you can't boot into XP, then you would have to boot into
    the XP recovery console (if installed) or use the XP Cd to run the recovery
    console.

    Check out this site: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    or do a google search for "boot.ini"

    > Any suggestions on how to fix the boot.ini file?
    >
    > "Michael Seidner" wrote:
    >
    >> This message doesn't necessarily mean that the "hal.dll" file is indeed
    >> missing or corrupt. You often get this error message when there is an
    >> incorrect line in the "boot.ini" file.
    >>

    >> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like
    >> >there
    >> > are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition
    >> > load
    >> > and
    >> > the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility
    >> > that
    >> > HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try
    >> > run
    >> > the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do
    >> > not
    >> > want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of
    >> > utility
    >> > disk? Or any other way??
    >> > Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

Data Recovery Hewlett Packard Windows XP