XP Home Ed (hal.dll file is missing or corrupt) Error at b..

Al

I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like there
are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load and
the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility that
HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to run
the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of utility
disk? Or any other way??
Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

This message doesn't necessarily mean that the "hal.dll" file is indeed
missing or corrupt. You often get this error message when there is an
incorrect line in the "boot.ini" file.

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like
>there
> are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load
> and
> the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility
> that
> HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to
> run
> the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
> want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of
> utility
> disk? Or any other way??
> Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

Al

Any suggestions on how to fix the boot.ini file?

"Michael Seidner" wrote:

> This message doesn't necessarily mean that the "hal.dll" file is indeed
> missing or corrupt. You often get this error message when there is an
> incorrect line in the "boot.ini" file.
>

> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like
> >there
> > are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load
> > and
> > the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility
> > that
> > HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to
> > run
> > the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
> > want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of
> > utility
> > disk? Or any other way??
> > Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

The method you use depends on whether or not you can start windows. It's
fairly easy to edit the "boot.ini" file from within Windows (either normal
or safe mode). If you can't boot into XP, then you would have to boot into
the XP recovery console (if installed) or use the XP Cd to run the recovery
console.

Check out this site: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
or do a google search for "boot.ini"