Need Radeon help PLEASE....

G

Apologies for the caps, but I am THIS close to swapping my 8500 for a Ti500 this afternoon...

Here is the scenario...

I cant play anything on my system for more than 5 minutes before a hard lockup... (well max payne, but i get serious 'shaking' effects, really weird looking too)...

The thing is, i had played all through Payne @1024x768x32 with out one damn problem...

Afterwards i did the following three things (one of which HAS to be the cause for my sudden grief):

1) updated my bios (shuttle ak31a - flashed to the se29 bios in order to fully recognize my processor - the 1800+ was simply recognized as an Athlon processor @ 1115 ghz... ack - after flashing, it was correctly recognized...)

2) installed directx 8.1 drivers

3) installed 3286 radeon drivers

the minnute all those upgrades were in place, i noticed the gameplay problems...

i have since uninstalled the 3286 drivers, and re-installed the 3276 drivers,... and have installed directx 8.0 drivers over the 8.1s...

i am STILL having the same problems... *sigh*

would a complete fresh OS install help???

my system specs are:

Athlon XP 1800+
Shuttle AK31a (latest se29 BIOS)
Win2K sp2
WD 7200rpm 60gb hd
Pioneer 16x DVD (slot)
Lite-On 24x10x40 CDRW
USR 56k modem
SBLive! 5.1

fyi, i am not overclocking anything... i have also noticed in my device manager that the modem, soundcard and video card are on the same IRQ (11)... but i cant change them... the option to manually set them is grayed out because there are no conflicts...

i have also messed with various BIOS settings,.. aperture, 4x to 2x, fast writes are disabled by default...

if there is anything you can think of to at least get me back to where i was before (radeon working fine without 3286 drivers) i would really apprecaite it...

thanks all...

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
Well, try disabling the modem/sound card and see how it runs. All those things sharing the same IRQ can't be good.

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Hmm, I have had no crashes with the new drivers and DX8.1, so I am not sure. I'd try reinstalling any MB drivers, checking for updates. Flashing the bios shouldn't have caused any problems, unless you weren't running at 133 FSB till now. Try running at 100 FSB to see if you can run smoothly then.

If it does, then you may have a memory issue. Also, try setting your timings on the memory conservitively (3 cl).

Also, if things work well at 100 FSB, you could also be having either a tempurature problem (Unlikely, but posable, however the ATI cards don't generate as much heat as the Nvidia cards), or perhaps a power problem due to the increased power needed to run at higher FSBs.

When it locks up, does it reboot? Or does it just lock up?

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

Raleldor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally I always find it amusing when people change system settings, have problems, and blame it on a certain device that was working ok before.

<b><font color=green>Raleldor says in out of character,'PHAT LEWTZ!'</font color=green></b>