Log out immediately after Log In

I have a windows XP box that is being recovered with Backup Exec 9.1
restoring the system completly, with system state. After it restores all the
files and registry the computer needs a reboot, it comes up fine to a windows
log in Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, you log into the system, it accepts the password
for the local machine only, no domain access, and as soon as the Log in box
disappears, the "Windows is Savings your settings" screen pops, just as if
you did a start -> log out command. and that is all it will do, the hardware
is the same, the system was running fine before the hard disk's motor died
and crashed. the backup was from the week prior.

You cannot get into safe mode or anything, no remote desktop, no loggin into
the system at all. can anyone help?? i have tried reloading the system 6
times, doing different things, contacted Veritas about it and they cannot
figure it out. If anyone has anything that could help please respond here!

Thanks

Adam
5 answers Last reply
More about immediately

    "Adam Hodge" <Adam Hodge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a windows XP box that is being recovered with Backup Exec 9.1
    > restoring the system completly, with system state. After it restores all
    > the
    > files and registry the computer needs a reboot, it comes up fine to a
    > windows
    > log in Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, you log into the system, it accepts the
    > password
    > for the local machine only, no domain access, and as soon as the Log in
    > box
    > disappears, the "Windows is Savings your settings" screen pops, just as if
    > you did a start -> log out command. and that is all it will do, the
    > hardware
    > is the same, the system was running fine before the hard disk's motor died
    > and crashed. the backup was from the week prior.
    >
    > You cannot get into safe mode or anything, no remote desktop, no loggin
    > into
    > the system at all. can anyone help?? i have tried reloading the system 6
    > times, doing different things, contacted Veritas about it and they cannot
    > figure it out. If anyone has anything that could help please respond here!

    The problem may be an incorrect system drive letter and I have seen this
    when restoring from images. Open the registry on the system that is causing
    you
    trouble via a *networked machine* , navigate to:

    HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

    and delete all values that look like this:

    \DosDevices\C
    \DocDevice\D
    and so on.

    I have other ways to help you in you *cannot* connect to the registry by a
    networked machine.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/9edae9001ad50e58/b0556ddae5f6ed4d?lnk=st&q=windows+xp+immediately+logs+off&rnum=1#b0556ddae5f6ed4d

    A shortened URL
    http://tinyurl.com/cq4p7

    Or another example
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/cd5a03514c8d3a0d/8bb4d6a324644ffb?tvc=1&q=(log+OR+off)+group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+author:wtc&hl=en#8bb4d6a324644ffb

    A shortened URL
    http://tinyurl.com/8gqqu

    --
    William

    The computer will now not immediately log out, but the userinit.exe fails
    with a 0xC0000022 error, from there it wont do anything but sit. It seems
    like a permissions problem, so using another computer i set it so everyone
    has access to use userinit.exe but same thing.
    If you have anymore insite it would be helpful, thanks for the help so far,

    Adam

> [...]
    >>
    >> A shortened URL
    >> http://tinyurl.com/cq4p7
    >>
    >> Or another example
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/cd5a03514c8d3a0d/8bb4d6a324644ffb?tvc=1&q=(log+OR+off)+group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+author:wtc&hl=en#8bb4d6a324644ffb
    >>
    >> A shortened URL
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8gqqu
    >>
    > The computer will now not immediately log out, but the userinit.exe fails
    > with a 0xC0000022 error, from there it wont do anything but sit. It seems
    > like a permissions problem, so using another computer i set it so everyone
    > has access to use userinit.exe but same thing.
    > If you have anymore insite it would be helpful, thanks for the help so

    Try a repair install.

    Also I would suggest to make a slipstream CD before performing a repair
    install. There is a link on how to do this on the Repair Install page that I
    provided.

    --
    William

    Last repair i performed on the drive, it would allow me to goto windows
    update or anything following the repair. plus it wasnt working quite right in
    other ways (files missing and damaged)

    This is a disaster recovery procedure, restoring the system completely from
    tape and it is doing this, even though it should work :-\ No hardware changes
    to the system, and the tape is a little over a week old

    Adam

    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "Adam Hodge" <AdamHodge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > The computer will now not immediately log out, but the userinit.exe
    >> > fails
    >> > with a 0xC0000022 error, from there it wont do anything but sit. It
    >> > seems
    >> > like a permissions problem, so using another computer i set it so
    >> > everyone
    >> > has access to use userinit.exe but same thing.
    >> > If you have anymore insite it would be helpful, thanks for the help so
    >> > far,
    >> >

    >> Try a repair install.
    >>
    >> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> Also I would suggest to make a slipstream CD before performing a repair
    >> install. There is a link on how to do this on the Repair Install page
    >> that I
    >> provided.
    >>
    > Last repair i performed on the drive, it would allow me to goto windows
    > update or anything following the repair. plus it wasnt working quite right
    > in
    > other ways (files missing and damaged)
    >
    > This is a disaster recovery procedure, restoring the system completely
    > from
    > tape and it is doing this, even though it should work :-\ No hardware
    > changes
    > to the system, and the tape is a little over a week old

    I noticed your other post "0xC0000022 on Userinit.exe", hopefully someone
    will know the answer. I have never encountered that specific problem.

    --
    William

Login Windows XP