Hang on fresh WinXP Professional install

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2005 5:11:12 PM

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro fresh on my computer (the current OS is
Fedora Core 3, but I removed most of that by doing rm -rf * from / as root).
After booting from the install CD is get the "Press any key to boot from
CD..." message, then "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
configuration...," then a blank, black screen that does nothing. The
computer hangs at this point (yes, I have tried waiting to see if it is only
taking a long time to scan the hardware, but no dice). Can anyone help me
out here? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

jesseoneill@yahoo.com

More about : hang fresh winxp professional install

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:48:13 PM

Ok, so I figured it out (somewhat). My computer is a laptop, so I popped out
the HD and rebooted from the WinXP install CD. I got an error about
something pretty early in the process, but then I put the HD back in and
rebooted from the CD again and it appears that everything is working just
fine (the install is proceeding as normal).
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:14:23 PM

Perhaps you need to FDISK your MBR.

"jesseoneill" <jesseoneill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install WinXP Pro fresh on my computer (the current OS is
> Fedora Core 3, but I removed most of that by doing rm -rf * from / as
> root).
> After booting from the install CD is get the "Press any key to boot from
> CD..." message, then "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
> configuration...," then a blank, black screen that does nothing. The
> computer hangs at this point (yes, I have tried waiting to see if it is
> only
> taking a long time to scan the hardware, but no dice). Can anyone help me
> out here? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
>
> jesseoneill@yahoo.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:14:24 PM

I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any advice? BTW, things are royally
messed up--grub is still around, but it won't do anything since I've deleted
most everything, and the BIOS setup is locked with a password that no one
around here remembers.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:14:25 PM

Hopefully, your board has a bios configuration jumper block, that will let
you use a maintenance menu to clear the password, depending on your board's
make and model # .

See this link if it applies to your situation..
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

j;-)

!