Hang on fresh WinXP Professional install

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro fresh on my computer (the current OS is
Fedora Core 3, but I removed most of that by doing rm -rf * from / as root).
After booting from the install CD is get the "Press any key to boot from
CD..." message, then "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
configuration...," then a blank, black screen that does nothing. The
computer hangs at this point (yes, I have tried waiting to see if it is only
taking a long time to scan the hardware, but no dice). Can anyone help me
out here? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

jesseoneill@yahoo.com
4 answers Last reply
More about hang fresh winxp professional install

    Ok, so I figured it out (somewhat). My computer is a laptop, so I popped out
    the HD and rebooted from the WinXP install CD. I got an error about
    something pretty early in the process, but then I put the HD back in and
    rebooted from the CD again and it appears that everything is working just
    fine (the install is proceeding as normal).

    Perhaps you need to FDISK your MBR.

    "jesseoneill" <jesseoneill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to install WinXP Pro fresh on my computer (the current OS is
    > Fedora Core 3, but I removed most of that by doing rm -rf * from / as
    > root).
    > After booting from the install CD is get the "Press any key to boot from
    > CD..." message, then "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware
    > configuration...," then a blank, black screen that does nothing. The
    > computer hangs at this point (yes, I have tried waiting to see if it is
    > only
    > taking a long time to scan the hardware, but no dice). Can anyone help me
    > out here? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    >
    > jesseoneill@yahoo.com

    I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any advice? BTW, things are royally
    messed up--grub is still around, but it won't do anything since I've deleted
    most everything, and the BIOS setup is locked with a password that no one
    around here remembers.

    Hopefully, your board has a bios configuration jumper block, that will let
    you use a maintenance menu to clear the password, depending on your board's
    make and model # .

    See this link if it applies to your situation..
    http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

    j;-)

    "jesseoneill" wrote:

    > I'm not quite sure how to do that. Any advice? BTW, things are royally
    > messed up--grub is still around, but it won't do anything since I've deleted
    > most everything, and the BIOS setup is locked with a password that no one
    > around here remembers.

Computers Windows XP