How to block file delete

August 22, 2005 5:34:10 PM

I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files on my
system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online session,
using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't seem to be
determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the length of time I'm
online. Immediately after signing out, a window displays for a second or two
indicating that files are being deleted, but the files flash by so quickly
that I can't determine what they are. I'm using MSN9 dial-up services,
Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for phishing/cookie control.
Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to date with the latest released
definitions, and both are run at least once weekly. So far, I've been able to
recover from the problems caused when key files are deleted by performing a
System Restore. I've sent queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and
received several suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful.
I've also searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related newsgroup
query which was geared toward finding the source of the problem. That proved
not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling with the problem, and
since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to help me, I'm wondering if
there's some action I can take to prevent files from being deleted. These
would be files targeted by the rogue software, therefore I don't know their
path names. Thanks for any help that may be provided.
--
Jack A

More about : block file delete

August 23, 2005 1:24:19 AM

Google search - mozbackup. That little jewel should do it for you.
August 23, 2005 1:26:27 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:34:10 -0700, "Jack A."
<JackA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files on my
>system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online session,
>using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't seem to be
>determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the length of time I'm
>online. Immediately after signing out, a window displays for a second or two
>indicating that files are being deleted, but the files flash by so quickly
>that I can't determine what they are. I'm using MSN9 dial-up services,
>Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for phishing/cookie control.
>Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to date with the latest released
>definitions, and both are run at least once weekly. So far, I've been able to
>recover from the problems caused when key files are deleted by performing a
>System Restore. I've sent queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and
>received several suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful.
>I've also searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related newsgroup
>query which was geared toward finding the source of the problem. That proved
>not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling with the problem, and
>since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to help me, I'm wondering if
>there's some action I can take to prevent files from being deleted. These
>would be files targeted by the rogue software, therefore I don't know their
>path names. Thanks for any help that may be provided.

I'd recommend you post your issue with alt.privacy.spware.
August 23, 2005 1:35:05 PM

I'll take action on both replies. Thanks!
--
Jack A

"<----- Which Way ----->" wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:34:10 -0700, "Jack A."
> <JackA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files on my
> >system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online session,
> >using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't seem to be
> >determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the length of time I'm
> >online. Immediately after signing out, a window displays for a second or two
> >indicating that files are being deleted, but the files flash by so quickly
> >that I can't determine what they are. I'm using MSN9 dial-up services,
> >Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for phishing/cookie control.
> >Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to date with the latest released
> >definitions, and both are run at least once weekly. So far, I've been able to
> >recover from the problems caused when key files are deleted by performing a
> >System Restore. I've sent queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and
> >received several suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful.
> >I've also searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related newsgroup
> >query which was geared toward finding the source of the problem. That proved
> >not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling with the problem, and
> >since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to help me, I'm wondering if
> >there's some action I can take to prevent files from being deleted. These
> >would be files targeted by the rogue software, therefore I don't know their
> >path names. Thanks for any help that may be provided.
>
> I'd recommend you post your issue with alt.privacy.spware.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:20:25 PM

In article <0463D246-1447-4062-8C32-2BCD54823F57@microsoft.com>, Jack
A. says...
> I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files on my
> system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online session,
> using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't seem to be
> determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the length of time I'm
> online. Immediately after signing out, a window displays for a second or two
> indicating that files are being deleted, but the files flash by so quickly
> that I can't determine what they are. I'm using MSN9 dial-up services,
> Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for phishing/cookie control.
> Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to date with the latest released
> definitions, and both are run at least once weekly. So far, I've been able to
> recover from the problems caused when key files are deleted by performing a
> System Restore. I've sent queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and
> received several suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful.
> I've also searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related newsgroup
> query which was geared toward finding the source of the problem. That proved
> not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling with the problem, and
> since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to help me, I'm wondering if
> there's some action I can take to prevent files from being deleted. These
> would be files targeted by the rogue software, therefore I don't know their
> path names. Thanks for any help that may be provided.

You can start with not using that buggy pile of shite commonly known as
Intershite Exploder. Try Firefox instead.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:28:21 PM

In article <MPG.1d7516d1698b31ed98a899@news.individual.net>,
conor.turton@gmail.com says...
> In article <0463D246-1447-4062-8C32-2BCD54823F57@microsoft.com>, Jack
> A. says...
> > I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files on my
> > system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online session,
> > using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't seem to be

<snip for brevity>

> You can start with not using that buggy pile of shite commonly known as
> Intershite Exploder. Try Firefox instead.

Yeah, what Conor said. I switched and never looked back!
!