Coleco expansion units question

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
August 7, 2005 9:04:50 AM

How many different expnsion units were there for the Colecovision? I
know #1 is the Atari cartridge unit and #2 is the steering wheel.

Thanks,
Colin
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:04:51 AM

#3 was the ADAM computet add-on, $399 retail. The full ADAM unit
was $599.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:02:49 PM

#3 is the Adam computer expansion, not to be confused with the stand-alone
version of the Adam.
August 7, 2005 4:14:19 PM

In article <Xns96AAE7CBD5775jlodoenthegridnet@216.196.97.131>,
Jeff Lodoen <jmlodoen@thegrid.net> wrote:

> "CMC" <cmconrad@eastlink.ca> wrote in news:SDgJe.161593$HI.88536@edtnps84:
>
> > How many different expnsion units were there for the Colecovision? I
> > know #1 is the Atari cartridge unit and #2 is the steering wheel.
>
> #3 was the ADAM computet add-on, $399 retail. The full ADAM unit
> was $599.

Actually, #3 was the super action controllers and #4 was the Adam add-on
unit.

jt
August 7, 2005 10:39:55 PM

Bzzzzzt! Wrong answer. The Adam (which began life as the Super Game
Module) was Expansion Module #3.

Coleco also produced two other hardware add-ons -- The roller
controller and the super action controllers. Coleco did not designate
either of these by an "Expansion Module #". Personally I've always
felt that they should have, as they are both special controllers --
just like the driving controller. But that's they way it is....
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:20:43 PM

"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
> In article <Xns96AAE7CBD5775jlodoenthegridnet@216.196.97.131>,
> Jeff Lodoen <jmlodoen@thegrid.net> wrote:
>
> > "CMC" <cmconrad@eastlink.ca> wrote in
> >
> > > How many different expnsion units were there for the Colecovision?
> > > know #1 is the Atari cartridge unit and #2 is the steering wheel.
> >
> > #3 was the ADAM computet add-on, $399 retail. The full ADAM unit
> > was $599.
>
> Actually, #3 was the super action controllers and #4 was the Adam add-on
> unit.

The Super Action Controllers are NOT an expansion module. The steering
wheel shouldn't have been called an expansion module, either.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:57:16 AM

I think there were just 3 :

#1 - the "Atari adapter"
#2 - the steering wheel
#3 - the ADAM add-on
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:59:00 AM

Actually, the steering wheel should be considered an expansion module
as the base had to be plugged into the expansion module interface.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:30:58 AM

There were plans for a Laserdisc expansion modual in the works and
Dragon's Lair was goig to be released for it. The project got scrapped
and they released DL on those cassette instead.

-steve
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:26:09 AM

Are you referring to the CED version of the Super Game Module, or an
actual Laserdisc add-on for the CV and/or ADAM?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:09:31 AM

"Darth Chaos" <DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in

> Actually, the steering wheel should be considered an expansion module
> as the base had to be plugged into the expansion module interface.

No it didn't. It plugged into PORT 1 while the PORT 2 control
became your shifter. It also required 4 C batteries.

If it used the expansion interface I think it would have lead
to many broken ColecoVisionx.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:02:08 AM

I think it was the CED now that i think it about it. I remember
Dragon's Lair was going to be released on it then went to that cassette
version when it scrapped.

-steve
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:54:34 PM

Yep. CED isn't exactly a LD as it uses a stylus instead of a laser (I
guess a CED is basically a record player that plays audio and video
instead of just audio). I don't think the CED version of the Super Game
Module would have feasible when you consider what the price point of it
would probably be (I'd say between $300 and $400).
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:22:54 AM

crymad <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in

> By the way, PS3 and Xbox360 advocacy there is in full swing now,
> and the passionate trolling and flame wars are a spectacle to
> behold. The two leading combatants to watch are Zackman
> (pro-Xbox) and Blig Merk (pro-PS3). I like to let the messages
> accumulate for a few days and then read all the entertaining
> action in one large dose.
>
> --crymad

Feh. REVOLUTION!!!!!1111@~~~~111!!!!!oneoneone

Seriously (and without getting into a fanboy troll flamewar), I've always
been and always will be a Nintendo fan. While Nintendo's not doing
everything correct with Revolution, it definately is a step in the right
direction.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Remember how Gunpei Yokoi was virtually blacklisted at Nintendo for the
Virtual Boy fiasco? I wonder if the inventor of the CED suffered a
similar fate (being virtually blacklisted from the entire home
electronics industry...not referring to Yokoi's fatal car accident).
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:26:53 PM

Bruce Tomlin <bruce#fanboy.net@127.0.0.1> wrote in

> At least they're planning to support playing PSX/PS2 games on the
> PS3... aren't they?

Last I heard, Sony was taking a strategy of supporting only two
generations at once. So, the PS3 will play PS2 games, but drop
support for PSX.

> Not to mention they all seem to think everyone WANTS wireless
> controllers as a default.

<sheep> But wireless is BETTER! </sheep> I don't care for them
much myself, though I admit there are times I think it might be a
handy option. I agree with you, wired controllers have advantages
that not many people consider.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:09:32 AM

Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote in

>>> Not to mention they all seem to think everyone WANTS wireless
>>> controllers as a default.
>>
>> <sheep> But wireless is BETTER! </sheep> I don't care for them
>> much myself, though I admit there are times I think it might be a
>> handy option. I agree with you, wired controllers have advantages
>> that not many people consider.
>
> Quite honestly, I don't know why most people wouldn't want wireless
> controllers (of course I'd like to have them a recharge base or
> cable).

1) Battery issue (it's a given)
2) Wireless controllers are sometimes heavier or bulkier.
3) Nintendo doesn't use rumble on the Wavebird
4) I'm not usually far enough away from the Cube to need the option.
If I were, I'd much prefer a longer cord to no cord at all.
5) The basic simplicity of a wired connection. Plug it in, go.
No worries about interference or some other player on your frequency.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:05:24 AM

Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote in

(Snip points 1-4, we simply agree to disagree)

>> 5) The basic simplicity of a wired connection. Plug it in, go.
>> No worries about interference or some other player on your frequency.
>
> That's what this generation of wireless controllers is bringing us.
> Auto detecting frequencies, 5.8GHz band, no need to plug a dongle in -
> it's built in.
>
> Even the NES is getting a wireless facelift with the Generation NEX.

Yeah. I've given that a lot of thought, and am very tempted to pick one
up, if only to compare it to my toploader. I doubt the wireless
controllers will ever get their twist-ties undone, tho. ;-)

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:10:21 AM

In article <Xns96B2E5D73DA6Dchucktoomanygamescom@199.45.49.11>,
Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote:

> > 5) The basic simplicity of a wired connection. Plug it in, go.
> > No worries about interference or some other player on your frequency.
>
> That's what this generation of wireless controllers is bringing us. Auto
> detecting frequencies, 5.8GHz band, no need to plug a dongle in - it's
> built in.

Ever more things are going wireless, and I am not so thrilled about it.
I'm in the process of setting up an hard wired ethernet network in my
house. I am not comfortable with security issues regarding wireless.
Already, I have encountered crossed phone signals involving cordless
phones. One time incident with a neighbor with the same brand, but the
neighbor's phone rang, and my cordless receiver also rang. Really
weird, having the cordless ring and no others. Still in warranty, I
took the thing back and got a different brand.

Wired is sometimes better. I certainly prefer it.

jt
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:10:22 AM

> Ever more things are going wireless, and I am not so thrilled about
> it. I'm in the process of setting up an hard wired ethernet network
> in my house. I am not comfortable with security issues regarding
> wireless. Already, I have encountered crossed phone signals involving
> cordless phones. One time incident with a neighbor with the same
> brand, but the neighbor's phone rang, and my cordless receiver also
> rang. Really weird, having the cordless ring and no others. Still in
> warranty, I took the thing back and got a different brand.

When I bash wireless, this is more of what I have in mind, rather than
game controllers. Keyboards, routers, speakers, etc are all things that
work just as fine, usually better, in a wired setup. Yeah, there are
reasons to go wireless, but for 98% of the people, the simplicity of the
wired setup wins out.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:04:00 AM

I have the Logitech wireless controller for the Xbox - very cool. I
don't know if the battery life is as good as the wavebird yet, but the
build quality is definitely top notch. The controller actually has
rumble built in, but you can turn it off to help your batteries last
longer. Personally, I've always felt rumble was a bit too much like
playing with a vibrator taped to the controller, a poor excuse for
force feedback, so turning it off is just fine with me.
!