Tough choice

wingnut144

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the option to trade in my Radeon card, and upgrade to a new one through CompUSA. They'll give me full value on the old card, about $200. I was going to upgrade to the Radeon 8500, but CompUSA says they won't be getting any more of them. So, I was thinking about the ATI:AIW card, or the Radeon 7500.

Opinions, or anyone know of a great card out there currenly for about that amount? I'm also not against throwing $100 or so in addition to the value I'll get in trade.

G

From what I've seen, I wouldn't recommend the Radeon 7500 if you want near Radeon 8500 quality. I'm sure it's a fairly good card for the money, but it doesn't support the directx 8 upcoming standards. Wait until you can get the 8500! If you can get $200 for your old card, that would definately be worth the wait.

G

Got some more info...
Go to this web address: http://www.ati.com/na/pages/trade_rebate/trade_ups/trade_up.html
Read the FAQ. You can order your new card directly through ATI although there are 5 major drawbacks. 1st - The 8500 isn't in stock right now 2nd - Your new card will take 6 to 8 weeks to be delivered once it is in stock 3rd - It'll probably take that long for you to get your trade in credit 4th - You're probably not going to get $200 for your card like you would've at the store 5th - You're probably going to pay more than you would've at the store Doesn't sound too good, does it. The good news is, I really think that you can find another store that will do the trade up thing. Do you have any Best Buy or Circuit City stores near you? I'm sure that they'll offer the same deal. If you don't have any close, drive to another state if you have to! (I'd call first though). The trade in deal is just too good to pass up.

G

Check it and get down with the geforce 3. w00t

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!