Can anyone recommend a good pop up blocker?

Glenn

A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
control every time I want to open a new window.

Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this effort
(I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)

I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

Robert

I also use the one that comes with the google toolbar. If you don't have it,
go to google.com and download the toolbar. It is very useful for many
purposes.
--
Robert

"Glenn" wrote:

> A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> control every time I want to open a new window.
>
> Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this effort
> (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
>
> I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

dl

A decent NIC, Firewall,AV - no popup stoppers installed, no messenger
services either
I havent seen a popup since .....feels like forever

"Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> control every time I want to open a new window.
>
> Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this
effort
> (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
>
> I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

Glenn

Thanks for the response but can anyone answer my query and recommend a decent
pop up blocker?

"DL" wrote:

> A decent NIC, Firewall,AV - no popup stoppers installed, no messenger
> services either
> I havent seen a popup since .....feels like forever
>
> "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> > control every time I want to open a new window.
> >
> > Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this
> effort
> > (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
> >
> > I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

Glenn

Well thanks DL, your utterly useless response has now rendered this thread
inactive, thanks for nothing.

"Glenn" wrote:

> Thanks for the response but can anyone answer my query and recommend a decent
> pop up blocker?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > A decent NIC, Firewall,AV - no popup stoppers installed, no messenger
> > services either
> > I havent seen a popup since .....feels like forever
> >
> > "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> > > control every time I want to open a new window.
> > >
> > > Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this
> > effort
> > > (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
> > >
> > > I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

Sam

The one that comes with the Google toolbar works for me, Glenn.
(This ng is not what it used to be)
Hth.

> Well thanks DL, your utterly useless response has now rendered this thread
> inactive, thanks for nothing.
>
> "Glenn" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response but can anyone answer my query and recommend a
decent
> > pop up blocker?
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > A decent NIC, Firewall,AV - no popup stoppers installed, no messenger
> > > services either
> > > I havent seen a popup since .....feels like forever
> > >
> > > "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > effort

The built-in Pop-up blocker that gets installed into Internet Explorer when
you install SP 2 is decent.

"Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> control every time I want to open a new window.
>
> Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this
> effort
> (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
>
> I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

In article <EC4FB84D-3489-49FF-BE6E-FD9BD3991156@microsoft.com>, Glenn
says...
> A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> control every time I want to open a new window.
>
> Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this effort
> (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
>
> I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.

www.firefox.com

Stop using IE. End all your problems.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

We use stopzilla.

"Conor" wrote:

> In article <EC4FB84D-3489-49FF-BE6E-FD9BD3991156@microsoft.com>, Glenn
> says...
> > A very minor nuisance I know, but my pop up blocker requires me to hold
> > control every time I want to open a new window.
> >
> > Is there an effective, free pop up blocker that doesn't require this effort
> > (I sit at a funny angle to the right of my keyboard with my feet up!)
> >
> > I currently use Pop Up Stopper which is otherwise very, very good.
> >
> www.firefox.com
>
> Stop using IE. End all your problems.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> The child is grown, the dream is gone.
> I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

frodo

Rather than just a pop-up blocker, I would install a free html proxy
server, like Privoxy. It will block popups, "bad" javascript, html
abuses, bad cookies, and about 80% of all advertisments. Well worth the
effort.

Privoxy is a free open-source project, and can be very technical. BUT its
default install settings are PERFECT, you do not need to learn all its
ins-and-outs, just install it and leave it set at its defaults, it will
work great right out of the box. And it has an easy tray icon that allows
you to enable/disable it if you experience a site that its filtering
"breaks" (few and far between, mostly microsoft places that use javascript
pop-up descriptions).

The current version has been out for over a year w/o change, it's very
stable.

Especially excellent if you use dial-up, as it short circuits your
browser's requests for most ads, leaving the scarce bandbwidth for "real"
content. Speeds up browsing by 30% at least.

Try it!

www.privoxy.com

In article <ORjkzl#pFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Yves Leclerc says...
> The built-in Pop-up blocker that gets installed into Internet Explorer when
> you install SP 2 is decent.

Right....

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Any and ALL toolbars including google's is spyware. Have yet to find one that
isnt.
--
!~God Of The Geeks~!

Go to Microsoft's site and download MS Anti-spyware (Beta version) - it's
free

Best wishes,

Jim

"StopSpazzing" <StopSpazzing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any and ALL toolbars including google's is spyware. Have yet to find one
that
> isnt.
> --
> !~God Of The Geeks~!

Sam

"StopSpazzing" <StopSpazzing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any and ALL toolbars including google's is spyware. Have yet to find one
that
> isnt.
> --
> !~God Of The Geeks~!

If that's the case, then why doesn't Adaware SE Plus pick it up? Or any
other anti-spyware program I've used? Not arguing, just asking.

Sam wrote:
> The one that comes with the Google toolbar works for me, Glenn.
> (This ng is not what it used to be)
> Hth.

Actually Sam - this newsgroup has only gotten better and better as I see it.
What has changed is the common sense, common courtesy and the patience
levels of those posting here for help.

For example, the thread above happened in a matter of 56 minutes. "Glenn's"
sardonic response to DL happened only 43 minutes after the original post was
made by "Glenn". This is an internationally propagated/mirrored newsgroup
with hundreds/thousands of posts in any given day to this particular
newsgroup alone. It is frequented by volunteers who answer questions here
because they know something and want to share that knowledge with those
wanting to learn. To EXPECT an answer in less than 24 hours, possibly
longer, is ludicrous.

Now - if you look at the entirity of the thread now - several other
nature of the beast. You get answers when you present your
problem/concern/question in a straight forward and genuine manner. Yes -
you may get some answers that are misplaced, strange or just wrong - but
that is to be expected.

As for the OP - although your impatience and judgemental attitude are less
than welcomed here - you did get several good responses.

- Use the Popup Blocker that is installed when you install SP@ onto Windows
XP.
- Use an alternative browser, such as Firefox.
- Setup a proxy server.
- Use Google Toolbar.
- Use Stopzilla.

To add to that - you should further your security with immunizations from
these three products: SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and
IE-SpyAd2.

Good Luck to you.

--
Shenan Stanley