Unable to install XP SP1 or SP2 on IBM 6579

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2005 7:57:03 PM

Here is my problem, I boot up with a XP CD and run the install. I delete the
existing partition. The CD seems to install all the the files and then asks
for a restart. I restart the computer but get no screen the monitor LED
blinks and the PC power is still on but no screen. I have taken off the KVM
box I haev changed monitors. I have set the bios back to factory defaults.
I have ensured it was the most recent one as well. Any help would be greatly
appreciated

Mark

More about : unable install sp1 sp2 ibm 6579

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:04:04 PM

Sounds like this IBM is a desktop and not a notebook. Right? (sorry, not up on IBM models)

Did this pc have XP on it before? Are you trying to apply service packs to this pc? If so, you should only be installing Service Pack 2 (since it includes all prior fixes, and supersedes SP1).

Or is this a fresh install of XP? If so, what is the o.s. level on this XP CD?

If applying a service pack, please post that fact back here.

If new install, see "Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP" at Aumha.org by Gary Woodruff
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

And if it is new install, some hardware components may not be compatible with XP requirements.
Highly suggest you first choose and run "Check System Compatibility" and let it check your hardware and programs.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

!