Upgrade to HP Pavilion dv6t-1200 possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcheero

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
What I'd like to upgrade:

The Intel Core 2 Duo processor to an i5,i7, or an i3

The 500 GB HDD to an 128 or 256 GB SSD

Is it possible or am I better off just buying a new notebook?

Thanks for the help.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I have the DV6T-1100, which is in the same line as yours, just was originally slightly lower in specs. The highest you can take the CPU on this line of laptops is the 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo T9900. I put the T9800 in mine just cause it was easier to find.

The socket (Socket P) would physically fit a Core 2 Quad, however the BIOS and Motherboards on these laptops only support up to the Core 2 Duo T9900.

Keep in mind that upgrading the CPU in this model of laptop is VERY difficult. It involves taking the laptop ALL THE WAY APART. Take a look at this guide, should be the same for yours as it is mine. This is the same guide I followed in order to take mine apart and get to the CPU. Just follow the pictures to get an idea of what it takes to get the job done. http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv6-laptop/

The SSD should be no problem however.

bcheero

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Thanks for the response! I'll take a look at the guide and see if it's something worth pursuing and if that's not the case, then I'll just upgrade the HDD to an SSD. Are there any guides for this specific laptop?

Also, this computer should be able to run Windows 8 right?

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
That guide is the DV6T in general. Should apply to yours. I briefly ran windows 8, so you should be okay. Just do ALOT of research before you buy the OS, as it is about 50/50 with the gaming community whether it is good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.