Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
October 17, 2009 12:13:59 AM

An indestructible TV screen for the Nintendo Wii anyone?
Score
October 17, 2009 12:18:50 AM

I can't wait till OLED screens are mainstream!
Score
Related resources
October 17, 2009 12:21:06 AM

really cool product. as long as they dont market it as indestructible they should be fine
Score
October 17, 2009 12:21:18 AM

holy crap anybody else amazed by how thin the oled screen is!? this IS the future!

P.S. Son dambi=awesome.
Score
October 17, 2009 12:27:21 AM

YEA!!! Controller proof. LOL!!!
Score
October 17, 2009 12:35:30 AM

very cool. 5-10 years we'll all have at least one of these things in our possesion. But i got a question. What happens if you crease it. Not just bend it, but like bend the screen in half and then hammer at the crease. I'm assuming that's gotta do some damage, but idk.
Score
October 17, 2009 12:46:53 AM

Wow ,that thing is thin. Wonder what connector is used to hook up HD signals to that? =p
Score
October 17, 2009 12:51:29 AM

I can't believe how bright the screen is considering it's so small. Man, LCD's have nothing on this tech.

I'd like to see how much force it takes to actually destroy one. Like, if the guy bent it to the point of creasing etc.
Score
October 17, 2009 1:28:11 AM

WOW impressive stuff.
Score
October 17, 2009 1:35:00 AM

Very impressive but "virtually indestructible" is a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure you could bend it much farther before it causes permanent damage and that doesn't screen "indestructible." And I hate to be the naysayer but he wasn't hitting that thing very hard with a hammer...

The technology looks simply amazing and I can't wait until we start seeing this in consumer electronics, wrist-watches, etc but let's not over-exaggerate. I wouldn't even describe an armored tank as virtually indestructible.
Score
October 17, 2009 2:40:42 AM

Yeeeehaw..new wallpaper.
Score
October 17, 2009 2:53:48 AM

Is it just me or was he pulling the hammer a bit before impact on the oled? A rubber mallet is one thing but if you carry it around in a pocket with a bunch of change for a week I bet it gets scratched up pretty bad. Or run it over with a car, either/or ;)  Something about the suggestion that something is indestructible just makes me want to disprove that claim.
Score
October 17, 2009 2:57:01 AM

wow wtf, that is cool.
Score
October 17, 2009 4:15:57 AM

Where's my OLED armored suit?
Think about it, make super camouflage with any surface (with the right programming) and be really strong..
Score
October 17, 2009 5:38:33 AM

HibyPrimeI can't believe how bright the screen is considering it's so small. Man, LCD's have nothing on this tech.I'd like to see how much force it takes to actually destroy one. Like, if the guy bent it to the point of creasing etc.

Thats because OLEDs dont require a back light, which also means great contrast. Just cant wait till these things in 22" cost what current TN panel LCD's cost. However with the ever inflating American dollar I may never be able to afford one.
Score
October 17, 2009 6:26:55 AM

joeman42AM-OLED! AM- AM- AM-OLED!Did anyone else hear that music, or just me?

it's a song sang by Son dambi and After school to promote the technology for samsung. hence my post above indicating she's awesome...
Score
October 17, 2009 12:35:56 PM

So they should market it as "virtually indestructable"

This would be perfect for gamers with tempers... Now can it hold up to a knife :) 

I can't wait until this technology gets cheaper. However OLEDs don't have the life expectancy of a regular LCD, plasma or CRT TV.
Score
October 17, 2009 2:45:41 PM

I hope Samsung has been fixing the major problem on LCD till today, that is 18 bit interpolation colors. I hope all OLED will be true 24 bit in all type panel.
Score
October 17, 2009 3:03:49 PM

yoda8232Where's my OLED armored suit? Think about it, make super camouflage with any surface (with the right programming) and be really strong..

Nahh.... Nano Suit FTW! :lol: 
Score
October 17, 2009 5:17:31 PM

which consumes more power: OLED or LCD?
- all other things equal (same screen size, resolution, brightness, ...)
Score
October 17, 2009 5:18:58 PM

Safe wii bowling, about time.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 17, 2009 5:30:52 PM

Wow this is the first time ive been truely impressed by this tech.

Wonder how cheaply they can make it. And what the color/pixel density is.

If its cheap enough one wouldn't have to worry about longevity, just swap out the screen part with a new one a few years down the line.
Score
October 17, 2009 7:37:22 PM

Go Samsung
Score
October 17, 2009 8:44:47 PM

yoda8232Where's my OLED armored suit? Think about it, make super camouflage with any surface (with the right programming) and be really strong..

You could probably combine it with magnetic ferrofluids which harden instantly with electric current to resist bullet impact, and muscle wires which contract in response to electric current. So, we've got 3 out of 4 for the nanosuit, not bad:

Cloak mode-OLED screens, except this would be more like adaptive camouflage instead of true cloaking
Armor mode-ferrofluids and pressure sensors
Strength mode-Muscle wire
Speed mode-Muscle wires...moving really fast.

Now all we need is for aliens to invade North Korea.
Score
October 17, 2009 11:57:32 PM

"...so any attempt to hammer a device that carries such a screen might not destroy the display right away, but will do some damage to everything else."

If they put the frame of the device between the screen and components (with only the connecting wires coming through), it would be much more durable and would allow for larger screens :D 
Score
October 18, 2009 8:35:41 AM

cookoywhich consumes more power: OLED or LCD?- all other things equal (same screen size, resolution, brightness, ...)

LCD consumes more power.
Score
October 18, 2009 8:54:08 AM

"It's just one big explosion of black liquid that reminds me of a very freaked out squid."
Yummy boy, ever bothered (as a writer for a so called tech site) how a LCD is working? The liquid is transparent, it just twists the polarization of light based on a electrical potential applied with (thin transparent) electrodes. The "black thing" is just light polarized perpendicular (by the first filter) to that of the (second) polarizing filter, so it just does not get through... when there are no (spilled) liquid crystals to twist it.

Back to the topic, OLEDs are still life limited, compared to LCDs, and more so the lifetime varies depending on emitted wavelength (an old display will render wrong colors).
cookoywhich consumes more power: OLED or LCD?- all other things equal (same screen size, resolution, brightness, ...)

Power consumption of OLEDs might be sometimes higher (depending on the percent of surface lighted an intensity) than transmissive LCDs, due to their lower efficiency compared to LEDs (used as backlight), but an LCD backlight is always "full power". Reflective LCDs (w/o backlight) OTOH, consume almost nothing (the classic LCD wristwatch, for example).
Score
October 18, 2009 1:37:39 PM

I'm thinking of a laptop or a monitor that can be rolled into a tube container when not in use.. =)
Score
October 18, 2009 7:15:20 PM

can't wait till Nanosuits are mainstream XD
that would be awesome XD
everybody running around, jumping like crazy
and of course...fighting :p 
Score
October 19, 2009 1:11:18 AM

i guess this will be the emitter of choice for personal shield, somewhere in the near future??
Score
October 19, 2009 1:13:07 AM

i guess this will be the emitter of choice for personal shield, somewhere in the near future??
Score
a b Ô Samsung
October 19, 2009 6:34:09 AM

This will indeed be marvelous once it hits the market and even better when it's been on the market for awhile so the price can drop. I really see it being great in cell phones so they can take more daily punishment or the occasional major fall or something. The better contrast will also be great for TV's and monitors, but I would expect those to cost a pretty penny at first.
Score
October 19, 2009 12:09:00 PM

short and pointless.
Score
October 19, 2009 12:58:15 PM

ossie"It's just one big explosion of black liquid that reminds me of a very freaked out squid."Yummy boy, ever bothered (as a writer for a so called tech site) how a LCD is working? The liquid is transparent, it just twists the polarization of light based on a electrical potential applied with (thin transparent) electrodes. The "black thing" is just light polarized perpendicular (by the first filter) to that of the (second) polarizing filter, so it just does not get through... when there are no (spilled) liquid crystals to twist it.Back to the topic, OLEDs are still life limited, compared to LCDs, and more so the lifetime varies depending on emitted wavelength (an old display will render wrong colors).Power consumption of OLEDs might be sometimes higher (depending on the percent of surface lighted an intensity) than transmissive LCDs, due to their lower efficiency compared to LEDs (used as backlight), but an LCD backlight is always "full power". Reflective LCDs (w/o backlight) OTOH, consume almost nothing (the classic LCD wristwatch, for example).

Just last friday I cracked a notebook lcd by accident, regardless of the regardless of the real color of the liquid, it indeed reminded me of and freaked out squid.
Score
October 19, 2009 2:58:46 PM

Amazing vid. Good song. Anyone knows the singer and title?
Score
October 19, 2009 3:25:22 PM

h0llowAn indestructible TV screen for the Nintendo Wii anyone?

that was the first thing i thought of
Score
October 19, 2009 3:40:25 PM

OLED SHMOLED, I have been hearing about OLED for many, many years now and they still can't get past making tiny screens. Unless these guys are serious and ramp up production screen sizes, its nothing but a niche market.
Score
October 19, 2009 9:59:08 PM

THAT is FUCKING AWESOME!
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 20, 2009 12:09:22 AM

You 'C A N' destroy it though, with a knife or fire.
But there's a lot of research been done with plastic screens, be it TFT, LED, OLED, AM OLED, or just Pixelqi's screen!
For small and thin devices plastic screens are the future!

problem now is they need to be scratch resistant. You noticed the RUBBER hammer? It wasn't a metal one!
Screens like that are not scratch resistant. They coat it with a fiberoptic layer, which makes it hard to bend in an angle, but rather makes it bend in a curve.

We're into a time where the battery will be the next big thing in mids.
The battery will be the largest part of a device, and together with the input device (eg: keyboard) be the determining factor of the device's size!
Score
January 27, 2012 4:26:20 AM

I really don't like the Samsung is advertising its OLED TV. Just look at the phrase "Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible". This is really unethical. No body can believe this. for what i know is that there is nothing made by man that is indestructible. So please try to use words that are real and can make people believe.
Score
January 27, 2012 4:41:15 AM

I really don't like the way Samsung is advertising its OLED TV. Just look at the phrase "Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible". This is really unethical. No body can believe this. for what i know is that there is nothing made by man that is indestructible. So please try to use words that are real and can make people believe.
Score
!