Event ID: 104
Date: 8/21/2005
Time: 20:45:23
User: N/A
Computer: D875PBZ
The System Restore initialization process failed.
Data:
0000: 05 00 00 00 ....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 8/21/2005
Time: 20:45:13
User: N/A
Computer: D875PBZ
The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied.

I reinstalled sr.inf but that hasn't helped.

Help!

TIA

Regards,
Sam Holbrook
14 answers Last reply
More about system restore missing system

    Try this, go to the start button, run, type in gpedit.msc, click
    administrative templates, system, system restore and see - turn off system
    restore/config, click properties and mark not configured..

    j;-)

    "Sam Holbrook" <samuel.holbrook@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I turned off system restore to eliminate the current restore points. Now I
    >can't start system restore because there is no longer a System Restore tab.
    >I get the following errors in the System event log:

    For future reference the Disk Cleanup utility (in Accessories - System
    Tools) has an advanced option that will remove all but the most recent
    System Restore point.

    Also see MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html for addtional information and advice
    regarding System Restore.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Sam,

    Here are the instruction on regaining the System Restore Tab.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > I turned off system restore to eliminate the current
    > restore points. Now I can't start system restore because
    > there is no longer a System Restore tab. I get the
    > following errors in the System event log:
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: SRService
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 104
    > Date: 8/21/2005
    > Time: 20:45:23
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: D875PBZ
    > The System Restore initialization process failed.
    > Data:
    > 0000: 05 00 00 00 ....
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 7023
    > Date: 8/21/2005
    > Time: 20:45:13
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: D875PBZ
    > The System Restore Service service terminated with the
    > following error: Access is denied.
    >
    > I reinstalled sr.inf but that hasn't helped.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook

    Bert,

    How do I find out what it is that 'access is denied' to?

    TIA

    Regards,
    Sam Holbrook

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > Here are the instruction on regaining the System Restore Tab.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >
    > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >> I turned off system restore to eliminate the current
    >> restore points. Now I can't start system restore because
    >> there is no longer a System Restore tab. I get the
    >> following errors in the System event log:
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: SRService
    >> Event Category: None
    >> Event ID: 104
    >> Date: 8/21/2005
    >> Time: 20:45:23
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: D875PBZ
    >> The System Restore initialization process failed.
    >> Data:
    >> 0000: 05 00 00 00 ....
    >>
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >> Event Category: None
    >> Event ID: 7023
    >> Date: 8/21/2005
    >> Time: 20:45:13
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: D875PBZ
    >> The System Restore Service service terminated with the
    >> following error: Access is denied.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled sr.inf but that hasn't helped.
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook

    Hi Sam,

    The fact that the System Restore tab is missing indicates a policy was set to deny access
    to SR.
    This can be set via Security Setting, a registry edit, or as I suspect, by virus/malware
    infection.

    Follow these instruction on regain the System Restore Tab in System Properties.

    Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > Bert,
    >
    > How do I find out what it is that 'access is denied' to?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi Sam,
    >>
    >> Here are the instruction on regaining the System Restore
    >> Tab.
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >>> I turned off system restore to eliminate the current
    >>> restore points. Now I can't start system restore
    >>> because there is no longer a System Restore tab. I get
    >>> the following errors in the System event log:
    >>> Event Type: Error
    >>> Event Source: SRService
    >>> Event Category: None
    >>> Event ID: 104
    >>> Date: 8/21/2005
    >>> Time: 20:45:23
    >>> User: N/A
    >>> Computer: D875PBZ
    >>> The System Restore initialization process failed.
    >>> Data:
    >>> 0000: 05 00 00 00 ....
    >>>
    >>> Event Type: Error
    >>> Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>> Event Category: None
    >>> Event ID: 7023
    >>> Date: 8/21/2005
    >>> Time: 20:45:13
    >>> User: N/A
    >>> Computer: D875PBZ
    >>> The System Restore Service service terminated with the
    >>> following error: Access is denied.
    >>>
    >>> I reinstalled sr.inf but that hasn't helped.
    >>>
    >>> Help!
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Sam Holbrook

    Bert,

    Still no Tab.

    Using secpol.msc what security policy do I need to activate with fail to
    create a log in security folder the item that 'access is denied' refers to?

    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > The fact that the System Restore tab is missing indicates a policy was set
    > to deny access to SR.
    > This can be set via Security Setting, a registry edit, or as I suspect, by
    > virus/malware infection.
    >
    > Follow these instruction on regain the System Restore Tab in System
    > Properties.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >
    > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> How do I find out what it is that 'access is denied' to?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >>> Hi Sam,
    >>>
    >>> Here are the instruction on regaining the System Restore
    >>> Tab.
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org

    Following the instructions provided, is the System Restore visible?

    I am not familiar with the policy question you are referring to.

    --

    Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > Bert,
    >
    > Still no Tab.
    >
    > Using secpol.msc what security policy do I need to
    > activate with fail to create a log in security folder the
    > item that 'access is denied' refers to?
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Sam,
    >>
    >> The fact that the System Restore tab is missing
    >> indicates a policy was set to deny access to SR.
    >> This can be set via Security Setting, a registry edit,
    >> or as I suspect, by virus/malware infection.
    >>
    >> Follow these instruction on regain the System Restore
    >> Tab in System Properties.
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >>> Bert,
    >>>
    >>> How do I find out what it is that 'access is denied' to?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Sam Holbrook
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

    Bert,

    No. Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System no longer has a
    System Restore tab. However, on the Performance and Maintenance panel under
    'See Also' there is an icon System Restore. When I double click, I get
    "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your
    computer, and then run System Restore again.".
    After restart and after cold boot same icon same no tab same message. I use
    NAV and NPF faithfully, do weekly system scans with NAV, spybot and adaware.

    The event log for security does't log anything by default. You have set,
    for example, protected system file accesses to successful and/or failure
    from default none to get security event logging.

    Regards,
    Sam Holbrook

    >"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Following the instructions provided, is the System Restore visible?
    >
    > I am not familiar with the policy question you are referring to.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> Still no Tab.
    >>
    >> Using secpol.msc what security policy do I need to
    >> activate with fail to create a log in security folder the
    >> item that 'access is denied' refers to?
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Sam,
    >>>
    >>> The fact that the System Restore tab is missing
    >>> indicates a policy was set to deny access to SR.
    >>> This can be set via Security Setting, a registry edit,
    >>> or as I suspect, by virus/malware infection.
    >>>
    >>> Follow these instruction on regain the System Restore
    >>> Tab in System Properties.
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#DisabledByPolicy
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org

    At this point I would suggest reinstalling System Restore.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

    --

    Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > Bert,
    >
    > No. Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System
    > no longer has a System Restore tab. However, on the
    > Performance and Maintenance panel under 'See Also' there
    > is an icon System Restore. When I double click, I get
    > "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and
    > then run System Restore again.". After restart and after cold boot same icon same no
    > tab
    > same message. I use NAV and NPF faithfully, do weekly
    > system scans with NAV, spybot and adaware.
    > The event log for security does't log anything by
    > default. You have set, for example, protected system
    > file accesses to successful and/or failure from default
    > none to get security event logging.
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook
    >
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Following the instructions provided, is the System
    >> Restore visible? I am not familiar with the policy question you are
    >> referring to. --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>

    >> Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >>> Bert,
    >>>
    >>> Still no Tab.
    >>>
    >>> Using secpol.msc what security policy do I need to
    >>> activate with fail to create a log in security folder
    >>> the item that 'access is denied' refers to?
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Sam Holbrook
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

    Bert,

    Already done. See original post. Last sentence.

    > At this point I would suggest reinstalling System Restore.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >
    > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> No. Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System
    >> no longer has a System Restore tab. However, on the
    >> Performance and Maintenance panel under 'See Also' there
    >> is an icon System Restore. When I double click, I get
    >> "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your
    >> computer, and then run System Restore again.". After restart and after
    >> cold boot same icon same no tab
    >> same message. I use NAV and NPF faithfully, do weekly
    >> system scans with NAV, spybot and adaware.
    >> The event log for security does't log anything by
    >> default. You have set, for example, protected system
    >> file accesses to successful and/or failure from default
    >> none to get security event logging.
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook
    >>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Following the instructions provided, is the System
    >>> Restore visible? I am not familiar with the policy question you are
    >>> referring to. --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org

    OK.

    I have not seen the registry edit to restore the SR tab not work when logged on as
    Administrator.

    I would then suspect there's a application/virus interfering with SR and suggest
    uninstalling NAV and any other Norton products. Then retry the registry edit to restore
    the tab.

    Here's some more information on the issue.
    System Restore Group Policy restrictions
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

    --

    Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > Bert,
    >
    > Already done. See original post. Last sentence.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> At this point I would suggest reinstalling System
    >> Restore. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >>> Bert,
    >>>
    >>> No. Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System
    >>> no longer has a System Restore tab. However, on the
    >>> Performance and Maintenance panel under 'See Also' there
    >>> is an icon System Restore. When I double click, I get
    >>> "System Restore is not able to protect your computer.
    >>> Please restart your computer, and then run System
    >>> Restore again.". After restart and after cold boot
    >>> same icon same no tab same message. I use NAV and NPF faithfully, do weekly
    >>> system scans with NAV, spybot and adaware.
    >>> The event log for security does't log anything by
    >>> default. You have set, for example, protected system
    >>> file accesses to successful and/or failure from default
    >>> none to get security event logging.
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Sam Holbrook

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Is the system restore service disabled in services.msc? If so, set to
    automatic in it's properties.. Sart, run, type "services.msc" scroll to
    system restore and double click..
    j;-)
    "Sam Holbrook" wrote:

    > Bert,
    >
    > Already done. See original post. Last sentence.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sam Holbrook
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > At this point I would suggest reinstalling System Restore.
    > > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > http://bertk.mvps.org
    > >
    > > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    > >> Bert,
    > >>
    > >> No. Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System
    > >> no longer has a System Restore tab. However, on the
    > >> Performance and Maintenance panel under 'See Also' there
    > >> is an icon System Restore. When I double click, I get
    > >> "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your
    > >> computer, and then run System Restore again.". After restart and after
    > >> cold boot same icon same no tab
    > >> same message. I use NAV and NPF faithfully, do weekly
    > >> system scans with NAV, spybot and adaware.
    > >> The event log for security does't log anything by
    > >> default. You have set, for example, protected system
    > >> file accesses to successful and/or failure from default
    > >> none to get security event logging.
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Sam Holbrook

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Jaymon,

    The System Restore Service is okay.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Regards,
    Sam Holbrook

    "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is the system restore service disabled in services.msc? If so, set to
    > automatic in it's properties.. Sart, run, type "services.msc" scroll to
    > system restore and double click..
    > j;-)
    > "Sam Holbrook" wrote:
    >
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> Already done. See original post. Last sentence.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > At this point I would suggest reinstalling System Restore.
    >> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> > http://bertk.mvps.org

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Bert,

    My gut feeling is that srservice is not able to access my C: or F: SVI
    folder to write the drivetable.txt file or the restore files themselves.
    Do you know a security policy guru that can help set policies to log events
    to the Security event log for the system event ID 104 error type 5: access
    is denied
    or should I post a new question to windowsxp.security_admin?

    > OK.
    >
    > I have not seen the registry edit to restore the SR tab not work when
    > logged on as Administrator.
    >
    > I would then suspect there's a application/virus interfering with SR and
    > suggest uninstalling NAV and any other Norton products. Then retry the
    > registry edit to restore the tab.
    >
    > Here's some more information on the issue.
    > System Restore Group Policy restrictions
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > Sam Holbrook wrote:
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> Already done. See original post. Last sentence.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Sam Holbrook
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> At this point I would suggest reinstalling System
    >>> Restore. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org

Support Computers Microsoft System Restore Event Id Windows XP