Help on replacing XP with new XP

August 22, 2005 10:30:01 PM

I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What must I do
to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery bootable CD and
registry my NEW XP CD.

thanks

Aspen

More about : replacing

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:51:14 AM

If the old CD was a retail purchase, and you had a proof of purchase, you could have gotten a replacement CD from MS.
The new XP CD you got is a bootable CD, and from that you can do recovery tasks, as well as a repair ---- if needed.

Q: Is this new CD with Service Pack 2? If so, that is all you need.

Lastly, registration of Windows is optional; not required.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

aspen wrote:
> I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What
> must I do to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery
> bootable CD and registry my NEW XP CD.
>
> thanks
>
> Aspen
August 23, 2005 10:52:05 AM

MAURICE

My proof of purchase as well as the CD were in the green installation book
when i lost it moving my PC and it was a retail XP. My NEW retail XP CD does
have Service Pack 2 on it. The reason i went this route was because I
purchased an external hard drive to keep my system backed up. Whwn i finished
backing it up and Retrospect-Backup requires the XP CD to establish the
Bootable CD. Someone on here told me i could load the NEw XP CD however, i
stilled needed my old CD for the bootable to work. That is the issue I am
trying to an answer. By the way, I had Windows ME on this PC prior to the
OLD XP if that make a difference and I DO NOT have my hard drive partitioned.

thanks

David

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> If the old CD was a retail purchase, and you had a proof of purchase, you could have gotten a replacement CD from MS.
> The new XP CD you got is a bootable CD, and from that you can do recovery tasks, as well as a repair ---- if needed.
>
> Q: Is this new CD with Service Pack 2? If so, that is all you need.
>
> Lastly, registration of Windows is optional; not required.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> aspen wrote:
> > I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What
> > must I do to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery
> > bootable CD and registry my NEW XP CD.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Aspen

August 23, 2005 1:45:25 PM

If the two versions are the same (Home or Pro) then you really do not have
to do anything until you need to re-install.
However, if the older one was OEM and the newer one is Retail, then you need
to do a repair re-install. Please note that when you need to enter the CD
Key, use the new one only.

"aspen" <aspen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What must I
>do
> to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery bootable CD and
> registry my NEW XP CD.
>
> thanks
>
> Aspen
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:36:42 PM

Aspen

You may have misplaced your installation material and proof of purchase, but
you can still run the installation as is.. your new CD may well come in
handy if you have to do a repair or clean install at some point in time..
for now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"aspen" <aspen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What must I
>do
> to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery bootable CD and
> registry my NEW XP CD.
>
> thanks
>
> Aspen
August 23, 2005 2:36:43 PM

Mike, I agree. I really need a bootable CD in case my hard drive goes. Can
I do that from my NEW XP CD. The codes will be different and will that
prevent me from booting up?

Aspen

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Aspen
>
> You may have misplaced your installation material and proof of purchase, but
> you can still run the installation as is.. your new CD may well come in
> handy if you have to do a repair or clean install at some point in time..
> for now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "aspen" <aspen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I lost my XP CD during a move and I have purchased a NEW XP. What must I
> >do
> > to replace the existing XP so I can establish a recovery bootable CD and
> > registry my NEW XP CD.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Aspen

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:11:33 PM

Aspen

Your new CD will boot up just like the old one did.. if you need to use the
new one, then use the product key that came with it.. it will make life
easier all round..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User