Floppy Dillema

Any advice appreciated...

Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The problem
is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed (i.e.
motor runs ).
The floppy drive is NOT selected as a boot option in the bios and the access
on boot comes just after the 'Loading Personal Settings" screen. On shutdown
, it is just before the end , not immediately on shutdown.

I seem to remember there was a Floppy Seek setting somewhere in Windows at
one time , but I can't seem to find it in XP SP 2. As it happens well into
the boot cycle, I don't think it's related to the motherboard . Any
suggestions ? Any and all Explorer windows that might display A drive are
closed as well.

TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about floppy dillema

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for posting here. Also thanks for Mak's reply.

    Tom, from your post, my understanding of this issue is: On each boot and
    shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed. If this is not correct, please
    feel free to let me know.

    I agree with Mak, you may check the related settings of Antivirus software
    first of all. As far as I know, most of the similar issues were caused by
    improper settings of Antivirus software.

    Actually, the "Floppy Seek setting" option as you mentioned (should be
    "Search for new floppy disk drives each time your computer starts") was a
    setting of Windows 98, and does not affect Windows XP any more.

    Furthermore, you may test this issue in Safe Mode. To do this, follow
    these steps:

    1. Start the computer, and then press the F8 key after the Power On Self
    Test (POST) is completed.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe
    Mode, and then press ENTER.
    3. Use the ARROW keys to select your Windows XP installation, and then
    press ENTER.
    4. Log on to the computer, and then click Yes to work in safe mode.

    If the issue disappears in Safe Mode, please refer to the following steps
    to perform a Clean Boot:

    Use Clean Boot to eliminate third-party interference
    =====================
    To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
    into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues. A
    clean boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are
    or programs that are installed in your computer.

    1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    4. Click OK and restart your computer.

    If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
    check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Startup" and
    "Services" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
    these steps:

    1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
    each line in that file.
    2. Click the Apply button
    3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
    4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
    5. Click the Apply button.
    6. Reboot your computer.

    When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
    causing the issue.

    How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Tom Crooze" <nobody@nowhere.com>
    >Subject: Floppy Dillema
    >Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:39:34 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >
    >Any advice appreciated...
    >
    >Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The
    problem
    >is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed (i.e.
    >motor runs ).
    >The floppy drive is NOT selected as a boot option in the bios and the
    access
    >on boot comes just after the 'Loading Personal Settings" screen. On
    shutdown
    >, it is just before the end , not immediately on shutdown.
    >
    >I seem to remember there was a Floppy Seek setting somewhere in Windows at
    >one time , but I can't seem to find it in XP SP 2. As it happens well
    into
    >the boot cycle, I don't think it's related to the motherboard . Any
    >suggestions ? Any and all Explorer windows that might display A drive are
    >closed as well.
    >
    >TIA

    Hello, I also have a problem with Windows XP startup. My high end machine has
    suddenly decided to take about 3 minutes to start and get to the desktop.
    Your reply sounded useful as I thought that maybe some service(s) might be
    the problem so I followed your advice with the result that Windows became
    quite unhinged. On startup it informed me that my hardware had changed and
    now I had to reactivate the software. From the experience of a friend I know
    that one only has a limited very small (3?) goes at this before one has to
    phone some person in Bangladesh or Siberia or somewhere and beg for the magic
    numbers to restore your machine. The fact is that in my experience Windows
    gets totally confused after about 3 months of normal acive use (mine is only
    about a month into that) which can require a complete reinstall. The above
    restriction makes Windows a frustration intensive OS. I'm completely
    disgusted with it but what can you do, you have the monopoly and we're all
    stuck with you. My only comfort is that in some parallel Universe, Bill Gates
    is never born and the computing world is a hive of competition and great
    OS's. sigh

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > >Any advice appreciated...
    > >
    > >Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The
    > problem
    > >is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed (i.e.
    > >motor runs ).
    > >The floppy drive is NOT selected as a boot option in the bios and the
    > access
    > >on boot comes just after the 'Loading Personal Settings" screen. On
    > shutdown
    > >, it is just before the end , not immediately on shutdown.
    > >
    > >I seem to remember there was a Floppy Seek setting somewhere in Windows at
    > >one time , but I can't seem to find it in XP SP 2. As it happens well
    > into
    > >the boot cycle, I don't think it's related to the motherboard . Any
    > >suggestions ? Any and all Explorer windows that might display A drive are

    Thanks to all...it seems it was NORTON!! I had NAV for many years and once
    configured, I'd more or less forgotten about it. My motherboard came with
    NAV 2004 and I hadn't looked through all the settings.

    In AUTO PROTECT > ADVANCED there are settings for floppies. Once
    unchecked...problem solved!!

    Thanks again......but I'm sure I'll be back at some point!

    Tom

    "Tom Crooze" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Any advice appreciated...
    >
    > Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The
    > problem is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed
    > (i.e. motor runs ).
    Isn't this the result of Windows trying to determine if there is a floppy
    drive or not?. If I remember correctly, Win 3.1, Win 95, and Win 98 all
    accessed the floppy during startup.
    Jim

    First thought: antivirus, find settings that control | check floppy upon
    system startup / shutdown

    "Tom Crooze" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Any advice appreciated...
    >
    > Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The
    > problem is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed
    > (i.e. motor runs ).
    > The floppy drive is NOT selected as a boot option in the bios and the
    > access on boot comes just after the 'Loading Personal Settings" screen. On
    > shutdown , it is just before the end , not immediately on shutdown.
    >
    > I seem to remember there was a Floppy Seek setting somewhere in Windows at
    > one time , but I can't seem to find it in XP SP 2. As it happens well
    > into the boot cycle, I don't think it's related to the motherboard . Any
    > suggestions ? Any and all Explorer windows that might display A drive are
    > closed as well.
    >
    > TIA

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for your update!

    I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that the
    problem has been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns in
    future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to
    be of assistance.

> [...]

    >>>Any advice appreciated...
    >>>
    >>>Just got a new computer with Gigabyte GA-K8SNC-939 Motherboard. The
    >> problem
    >>>is that on each boot , and shutdown, the floppy drive is accessed (i.e.
    >>>motor runs ).
    >>>The floppy drive is NOT selected as a boot option in the bios and the
    >> access
    >>>on boot comes just after the 'Loading Personal Settings" screen. On
    >> shutdown
    >>>, it is just before the end , not immediately on shutdown.
    >>>
    >>>I seem to remember there was a Floppy Seek setting somewhere in Windows
    at
    >>>one time , but I can't seem to find it in XP SP 2. As it happens well
    >> into
    >>>the boot cycle, I don't think it's related to the motherboard . Any
    >>>suggestions ? Any and all Explorer windows that might display A drive are

    have you tried clearing your prefetch folder , that could help speed up
    boot times

    --
    bottle

    '[image: http://img.uptime-project.net/img/7/58830.png]'
    (http://www.uptime-project.net/profile.php?uid=58830)
    rig1 : intel 2.8b , p4p800-d , 1gig transcend ddr333 , 9600xt , antec
    tp480 , wavemaster black , 526gb storage , audiotrak prodigy + altec mx
    5021
    rig2 : a64 3000+ @ 2.4 gigs , msi neo 2 plat 1gig pdp @ 267 mhz , ati
    aiw x 800 xt , antec neopower 480 , wavemaster silver , 116 gb storage
    bottle's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=141
    View this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9161

Floppy Disk Boot Shutdown Windows XP